Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A lot of the roads I travel are barely seen on some maps because they are overrun by the bigger more used highways. I only use the interstate when I need to really get somewhere quick. Otherwise, I stick to the most remote back roads I can map out. Yes, I said map out. No GPS gadget here. Sometimes it takes much longer to get to my next destination but what I see and the places we stop are just to much to bypass. Some of the rural nondescript restaurants have some of the best down to Earth food. I still visit the big cities but it's what's in between them that is really interesting. Also, finding a place to park can be a challenge sometimes but the experience of the local area makes the trouble worthwhile.

Lynda & Ronny Sarasota, Florida
2005 DutchStar DP 3809
Sammy (Brussels Griffon\Maltese)
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
As an avid knitter, my wife likes to stop at all the local yarn shops. Those wonderful people know all the good local restaurants and we have enjoyed many a good meal because of it.

Bill Mahan
2012 Allegro Bus 43 QGP
Oldrtrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
My wife is also a knitter and has made thousands of knitted caps for newborns and for poor kids all over the world (Franklyn Graham shoebox ministry). She gets most of her yarn from thrift stores and the like. Much cheaper and almost always still in the original packaging. She can navigate and knit at the same time.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #18

I have to agree with this one, I have so many times found an outstanding great restaurant by looking for the privately owned local businesses. They also seem to remember what customer service means!!!!!
Great idea to pass this along!! Perhaps others will share some of their great finds along the way!!
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
It's sometimes a gamble, but I found that instead of asking someone at the RV park for a good local place to eat, I usually just click on my Yelp ap and it finds all the local places around me and provides reviews. I simply just ignore the chain stores and read about the Mom and Pop stores. This way I avoid the higher chance of getting poor food/service from a local shop and also find info that I probably wouldn't otherwise.
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW 4x4 Duramax
2012 Excel Wild Cargo 41GKE
TEAMTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
We have had some of our best meals at local restaurants. We asked one host and wound up at "the Pink Pig' with some of the best BBQ we have ever had. That was outside of Savannah, GA. Never hurts to ask the local folks where to eat. :-)
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #21
Texas Boomers Club
I like the way you think!
Don't forget to turn off the water before you head out on a trip!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
We make it a point to watch the food channel and especially, Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. We will plan our trips around finding these "mom and pop" places and have never been disappointed.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
If you are ever in SW Oklahoma - don't miss Meers - the most wonderful burger - bar none. It has been on Diners, Drive Inns, and Dives. Yummy. It is in the middle of Wichita Mountain Refuge - scenic with lots to offer. Down the road is Medicine Park - Plantation is another good place to eat - a little more touristy but still fun. Some of the roads are a little twisty - don't know about a MH through there - may have to park and use your tow vehicle.
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
X3 and we, if possible, never eat at the chain restaurants, even when at home. We try to find places like on the TV program "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". Real food, real people.
TooLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Ahhh, this is a tough one. Ideals vs practicality. Applebees is always applebees, samo samo from coast to coast, not a nasty surprise to be found.

And yet, i love to get off the beaton path, take the road less travelled, take my chances with a small local dive and see what i get.

Someday, i'll have the time to do more of this, today life runs at a pretty fast pace. Even vacationing in the moho, too much is spent getting to the destination... Where i wish the journey alone would be enough.

When ttravelling on business, a favorite is something i call "magellan mexican roulette." I'll ask toe gps to show me all the mexican resturants in a town i'm in, pick the one with the coolest name, and go there.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
Originally Posted by cj5 jeeper View Post
We both shop an eat at local business when ever we can, when traveling, and at home. Walmart is our store of last resort. Locals have been fighting a walmart for several years, but money talks and more hard working friends and business owners will end up closing their doors.
YUP - we constantly marvel at the "Walmart RV lifestyle" and mindset that pretty well dictates that whatever stores and services are in or adjacent to WM, are going to be the limits as to any "side trips" involved in RV travel!

There's SO MUCH in the USA to be seen and experienced, and usually not all that far off the asphalt and neon lighted stops next to the super slab...
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
We're in Brunswick, GA attending (and really enjoying) the Tiffin Rally. We heard some talk about a BarBQ place in the area. We went looking for it and after getting a little lost finally found it. A smallish plain white building alongside the road. We went in and were very surprised. It was also an "old time" butcher shop! Some of the nicest steaks and chops I've seen in years. The pulled pork was outstanding as well. Very glad we took the time.
While at that same rally, we were told about and tried B & J's Steaks and Seafood in Darien, GA. Go east from I-95 exit 49 to US 17. South a couple of miles to B & J's on the right. The wife and I split a shrimp basket and had more than we could eat. If we had time for a return trip I would have tried the buffet. The variety of vegtables really looked good to go with the fried chicken and other meat. I believe the buffet included salad and dessert bars. Don't expect much in the way of looks from the restaurant. It's rather simple and plain jane. The food was good and the prices reasonable.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We always had a rule on our vacation trips. We would not eat anywhere we could at home. It could be a 'chain', but it had to be one we don't have access to when we are home (Bahama Breeze comes to mind). Asking the locals where they go is always a fair bet. We had the best lobster on the planet years ago in a run down 'shed' back behind the airport, I'm not even sure they had a sign, but the nice people at the campground desk knew it was there and suggested it when we assured them we were looking for the best food, not the most expensively decorated.

Oh, 20 years ago it was $6.75 for one lobster dinner, $12.00 for a 'twin'.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote