Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Saying goodbye to the fridge ice maker.

I believe it is more efficient to say, done with this, than to try to clean/de-winterize this. Just give me a 10 pound dispenser. and a $2:50 bag of ice that chills.That plumbing can not be cleaned no matter the filter. Ice is food.How can one beat $2.50 for 7.5 pounds VS energy it takes to make same, @ quality the simple answer is you can not.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Took our ice maker out to get more room in the freezer. Bought a countertop model.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go old school: ice cube trays. Works for me.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Took our ice maker out to get more room in the freezer. Bought a countertop model.
Ditto!!
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Same here! Got a countertop machine from Sam's Club. Cost $76 and its ice bin is full in about 30 mins. Makes 26 lbs ice in 24 hours... about double or triple that a fridge ice maker.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Never turned mine on so far.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I use ice cube trays. I dump the ice into a storage bag in the morning. Fill the tray again dump it in the bag in the early afternoon and repeat the cycle before I go to bed. I always have ice.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

We've done the bagged ice treks, used a counter-top ice maker that doesn't keep it ice very long and takes up much more room than the built-in. Counter top space is at a premium in virtually all RV's, that is if you do much home cooking.
We like the convenience of the ice maker in the freezer of our Norcold. It's easy to winterize the water solenoid and water line and sanitize the water line every spring if you know how, takes me about 5 minutes. You never need to winterize the ice maker proper, it's designed to be in freezing temperature anyway.
To sanitize the ice maker tray is easy, just run a few batches of ice while the fresh water system is full of bleach solution, throw it away, and the next batch(after your system sanitization procedure is finished) has passed through a sanitized system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The icemaker is still in our Norcold 1200 but we don't use it. I would take it out but if we ever want to sell the MH the next guy may want the icemaker!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

No right or wrong on this - just choices for what you want!

We removed the ice maker completely from our Norcold 1200. As we wanted more space for food.

We replaced the 1200 with the Samsung RF18. While we did not remove the ice make in this unit, we do not have it turned on. Again, we use the space for food.

We use two simple ice trays, with our multiple filtered drinking water. (Hose filter for big junk. Whole house filter with enhanced cyst filtration. And then a Ceramic Filter under the kitchen counter feeding our drink faucet. Good tasting water, and makes great ice cubes.

As can bee seen, in both cases we wanted to use the space for food storage, and going with the simple ice cube trays serves us well. And prior to higher demand needs (We've been known to host a Martini Tasting social hour!!), we'll use freezer bags and build up a supply of cubes for special demand needs!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
I believe it is more efficient to say, done with this, than to try to clean/de-winterize this. Just give me a 10 pound dispenser. and a $2:50 bag of ice that chills.That plumbing can not be cleaned no matter the filter. Ice is food.How can one beat $2.50 for 7.5 pounds VS energy it takes to make same, @ quality the simple answer is you can not.
Can't beat $2.50 for 7.5 lbs? I too thought as you did.
Then I discovered a corner Ice Dispenser, 20 lbs for Two Bucks...
Has 2 buttons; Bagged, Bulk. It makes up for block ice not being available.
Oh and I would like to say the Blueberries are Delish...
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #12

I love my ice maker. I even wired the icemaker to the inverter so i can still have ice when boondoocking for a week withou having to run the gennie.
We try to get away from people when we are moving about so running to get ice might be a 40mile one way trip involving dirt roads some of the drive that also would need a cooler along so i still have ice when i get home. Doing that everyday so i can have ice in my water or at happy hour is not gonna happen, I would go without first.

Wired to the inverter i can just turn on the inverter and water pump for 2 min. Ice maker motors run and dump ice, water pump refills it,turn off inverter. Few hours later do it again. If i have decent sunlight (solar panels) i just leave it on.

In campgrounds always on.

Counter space and storage space is way more important to us (ok just me, wife really does not care for ice, better for me, but she likes counter space) than having more room in the freezer.

I also have never felt comfortable with how clean bagged ice is. i mean who is checking? https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/18...uying_ice.html
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:32 AM   #13

Our first 5th had an RV fridge and we used a counter top ice maker, but kept it in the basement, then move ice to the freezer.

We love having a residential fridge now. My DW uses ice in everything she drinks except wine - including her milk and hot tea, so an ice maker is essential for us. Comes in handy at happy hour, too!

Happy trails,
Old 07-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Replaced my fridge with one that did not have an ice maker because I thought the counter top version would be a better use of space.

Nope. Bad move for me.

In addition the heat the portable ice maker produces fights with the A/C when it's really hot out.

Tags
fridge