Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Scam alert

I have been reviewing various ads for the past 3 months in order to purchase a used DP, 36'-40', 1998-2003. Several times I have read on this site, "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" and that has definitely proven to be the case. Anyway, I thought I would post one scam that seems to be very prevalent on two sites, RV Registry and RV Classified. It works like this. The ad is almost always a 2003 Monaco, low mileage and lots of pictures showing a very clean and attractive unit. When you call you rarely connect with someone, most of the time you get a recording asking you to leave a number or email address. When you are contacted or reach someone you will be told the individual has owned the unit for 2-3 years, is the second owner and needs to sell the unit because of a financial crunch or they don't use it enough. They will also tell you they own a trucking company and don't have time to deal with the sale so they have hired a marketing company to place ads and that is why you may see the MH advertised in various locations. They will also volunteer to send you many pictures by email and answer any questions you have after you see the pictures. The pictures will look great and when you call back or return email to set an appointment they will tell you because of the excellent value they are offering they will hold the unit for you or your representative to inspect if you forward a deposit to the holding company they have hired. Several times I have been told they are using Google Holding or Ebay Holding and that you have 7-10 days to inspect the unit and if you or your representative don't like what you see then your deposit is 100% refundable. In almost every case this is the scenario. Some deviations exist such as one guy said he was in Greece and would ship the unit to any address in the US. If you say you live in that area or have an inspector in the area and would like to see the unit that day or the next they will simply hang up. The point being there is NO MOTORHOME!!
Many of you are saying,"Why do you even talk to these scammers?" Primarily because I was intrigued and it only takes a few questions to realize it is a scam.
The iRV2 Forum will tell you over and again never send anyone a penny until you have inspected the unit, insured a clear title and are comfortable with whatever problems exist. I am simply writing this post to notify folks this SCAM is very prevalent and obviously someone is falling for it. Don't let it be you.

Bludiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

Thanks for the post and heads up. This sounds similar to what a friend was going thru. Needless to say they never purchased and backed out of the deal before any money changed hands. let's hope no one else falls for these scams.

George and Brenda
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan with CAT7
2013 Honda Fit
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
But there is always one who does fall for it, and the scam keeps going around. I saw similar deals like this back in 2000 and it never ceases. Don't fall into it. It's your money .
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
They will do the same thing for those selling a coach. They want you to send money for a transport company to pick it up and when they arrive they will reimburse you after the title has been transferred. Yeh, happens every day.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
American Coach Owners Club
Ran into this same scam several times involving horse trailers and then farm equipment, scammers are everywhere, don't trust anyone asking for money up front.
1998 American Eagle
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #6

Wonder if the RV is registered in Nigeria.......
Dodge 2005 Grand Caravan - minicamper at times.
Ford 1988 E150 Action Conversion Van - camper conversion in progress.
Kawasaki 2005 KLR-650 - excursion vehicle.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
We had exactly this same scam only it was a contractor in Atlanta that was moving to Dallas. I told him I would have my attorney hold the money in escrow in the sellers name and it would be released to him on my approval. Never heard a word back.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
Country Coach Owners Club
These scams have been going on for at least the last 5 yrs. Once you find one it's pretty easy to figure out. I tried to pin a couple of them down so I could actually go look at the coach. I even offered to show up with cash in hand if I could actually inspect the coach. What you will find is that the coach is located somewhere where you're not and when you offer to get on a plane to go look at it they tell you they moved it somewhere else. Buyer beware!!! If you can't touch it, smell it, crawl around underneath it and inside it don't buy it.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
Had one a couple of years ago with a motorcycle. Grandpaw bought it for grandson but dang, kid wrecked it and died in the crash. He can't look at it anymore and will GIVE it away to anyone that will just pay the shipping!!! I told him I deal will shippers all over the USA and my "people" will pick it up. Sent lots of pictures of a beautiful cycle.

Nope, his "shipping" company had it loaded on a truck and just needed mu address. Just call this number and they will tell you the shipping charges. I was amazed the the shipping company was "The reverand ...." I knew it was a scam but wanted to pull his chain with him thinking he had another sucker.

First location of cycle was in CA. Next time the ad appeared, it was in DC!!!

Wonder how many guys told the wife he was getting that cycle she had banned and said was too expensive. And all he had to do was pay the shipping!!! Imagine the pain and suffering in that household when that cycle never appeared...
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the quest for our RV, we ran into scams twice on Craigslist. One stated that the rig was in Florida and they had an agent handling the sale. The rig was all spiff with a crazy low price. We didn't fall for it. The second one they offered to ship from Oklahoma City. I live about 20 miles south & offered to meet them and they went away quick.

We also saw 2 rigs that were fixer uppers. We ran, not walked way from those, too. I just don't have the energy, skill, or patience for a major rebuild.

Being wise about how you spend your money & how it changes hands is essential nowadays. Our owner we purchased from has a shop with folks who work on rigs. We already had the, do some work for us & remain in contact with the original owner. We might even take them camping someday
Melody & Mike, Jake the hearing dog
Cats: Silver, Cleo, Lily, Almond, & the late Zima
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
This sounds like the same thing I ran into when I was shopping for a TT (Audi) on the web. There just wasn't any way I could see the darn thing. SCAM! \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
A fool and his Money are soon Parted !
I think most people that are taken in by these scams are looking for the proverbial "free Lunch"
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #14

It's not the first scam from Nigeria trying to take money from hard working Americans.

nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote