Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
All the red flags are there to indicate a scam.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #16

Great post...very interesting. I'm in the "this is a scam" camp.

Anyway, why not be straight-up front with this Seller and let him know you're suspicious and concerned that this may be a scam. Ask him what he is prepared to do in order to verify that he is legit.

Suggest he email you a copy of his:

1) Proof of Ownership (Title)
2) Current DMV Registration
3) Current proof of Insurance
4) Photo of the info plaque attached to the MH. ...including the VIN so you can cross reference with the above & conduct a title search, etc.

My money..this is the last you'll hear from him.... or the reasons for why non of this is possible will be priceless!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #17

SCAM

...and if it's not, I'll pay for your plane ticket to go anywhere you want haha. (I can make that bet, because I know I'm not wrong).

I've bought and sold several cars and RVs online, so I've heard it all. "I moved out of country, and can't bring my RV with me. Please contact my shipping agent...blah blah blah, payment only through Paypal/Amazon"....or my favorite: "Im very interested in the vehicle you are selling and would like to give you above asking price..."

Unless you can talk to the guy on the phone and meet him in person long before cash is exchanged...no deal.

heck, I'll sell a 2011 Monaco for $50k....but not really lol
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Great post...very interesting. I'm in the "this is a scam" camp.

Anyway, why not be straight-up front with this Seller and let him know you're suspicious and concerned that this may be a scam. Ask him what he is prepared to do in order to verify that he is legit.

Suggest he email you a copy of his:

1) Proof of Ownership (Title)
2) Current DMV Registration
3) Current proof of Insurance
4) Photo of the info plaque attached to the MH. ...including the VIN so you can cross reference with the above & conduct a title search, etc.

My money..this is the last you'll hear from him.... or the reasons for why non of this is possible will be priceless!
x2, If this guy is for real, he'll cooperate with you.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,
A while back I ran an ad in craigslist to sell a couple of old cars and got lots of emails with strange spellings, even a couple of phone calls from 'foreign' sounding callers AND 2 CHECKS, by way of Fed-X, for $3200 each... Were they 'scammers'; I'm not sure, but they wanted me to send some of the $$$ back to the 'shipping' agent.. I check the Albuquerque ads and there are always a few great buys on there.... NOT!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #20

Does the seller have a phone?
What is the name of the restoration business? If legit, you can probably find a sales tax license or something similar for that business through the state of NM.
If he's trying to raise fast cash, why doesn't he sell it to a local dealer since he's willing to accept wholesale value or below and be done with it?

This is the lure of something for nothing.
We all would like it to be true but I would be very, very skeptical.
retdep018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Amazon Payments for Motorhome = SCAM
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #22

This says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Amazon Payments for Motorhome = SCAM
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #23

It sounds like a scam to me. Tried selling a boat and a dining room set this summer, everybody was willing to buy sight unseen just give them your pay pal account number and they will send their "agent" to pick it ?up.
He is willing to have it shipped to VA so you can inspect it, and if you don't like it he is going to pay to have it shipped home again?

I would RUN
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ooooo, Ooooooo,........Can't wait to see how this turns out !! It's better than the crummy "mysteries" they have on t.v. these days. Ya GOTTA let us know what happens.

Steve
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Ideally, nothing will happen other than the OP keeping his money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Ooooo, Ooooooo,........Can't wait to see how this turns out !! It's better than the crummy "mysteries" they have on t.v. these days. Ya GOTTA let us know what happens.

Steve

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
frikker.....Run a post here asking anyone who lives in Albuquerque to run by and take a look at it. I've gone and looked at three different coaches here in the Southern California area. At least they can tell you if there is a coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikker View Post
This forum is incredibly helpful, so I hope ya'll don't mind if I ask for your assistance "again". We found a 2008 Monaco Knight for $50K, which "sounds too good to be true," but I thought I'd contact the seller any way. The add originally said it was in Spring, TX but now he tells me it's in Albuquerque, NM. Of course he wants to go through Amazon Payments and deliver the RV to us in VA to inspect. I said we aren't comfortable with that (after reading about scams here in IRV2) and want to fly to Albuquerque this weekend to see it. I thought that would end it, he'd disappear, but he sent me his address and said that "Please be aware that when you will be here you will handle the shipping".

Is there anyone out there who would spend the money to fly to Albuquerque to investigate this, or should I just end contact with the "seller"?

Your thoughts, as always, are very appreciated.

We are planning (hoping) to go fulltime April 1, 2013
SCAM!!!!

There is no Amazon Payments like there is a PayPal..

Run..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Scan

I have a program that I can run if you give me the exact address..it will give me the name and the phone number as well as all the people who live next door..then you can call and ask...Direct..

Bill
Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco