Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Scam for Monaco Knight??

This forum is incredibly helpful, so I hope ya'll don't mind if I ask for your assistance "again". We found a 2008 Monaco Knight for $50K, which "sounds too good to be true," but I thought I'd contact the seller any way. The add originally said it was in Spring, TX but now he tells me it's in Albuquerque, NM. Of course he wants to go through Amazon Payments and deliver the RV to us in VA to inspect. I said we aren't comfortable with that (after reading about scams here in IRV2) and want to fly to Albuquerque this weekend to see it. I thought that would end it, he'd disappear, but he sent me his address and said that "Please be aware that when you will be here you will handle the shipping".

Is there anyone out there who would spend the money to fly to Albuquerque to investigate this, or should I just end contact with the "seller"?

Your thoughts, as always, are very appreciated.

We are planning (hoping) to go fulltime April 1, 2013

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
When dealing online (looking for our coach) with private parties I always asked for specific photos of unusual parts of the coaches in question specifying the photos have a the time stamp feature enabled. Just a hint for the future.

As to going to ABQ to see the coach, no, not without some pretty strong insurance that there will actually be a coach at the address.

Have you Googled the address? Seeing what it looks like on Google Maps would at least tell you if it's a home or a vacant lot.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Since you know the real price should be $100k why are you considering this "too good to be true" deal? What is the owner's reason for selling at this price? Does he have clear title or is he scamming the finance company? I wouldn't waste my money.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

Call a RV dealer in ABQ and ask them to go see the RV for you, might cost a 100 bucks or so but cheaper than a plane ticket. Or call ABQ Police and report possible scam for that address, they might just check out the scam for you.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

I guess I've been considering it because I'm so anxious to hit the road. Here's what he told me.

"The reason of sale is that we are trying to save our vintage furniture restoring and manufacturing business from foreclosure by liquidating some assets and we need the money fast,we also have a car for sale and some wood crafting machinery. Priced for a quick sale.
I'm a private seller."
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #6

Great ideas. I just looked at a sattelite pic of his address and there's no RV or space for it. I know it was dumb to even consider it, but at least I asked before giving it a shot and losing my $$.

Thank you all for responding so quickly.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by frikker View Post
Great ideas. I just looked at a sattelite pic of his address and there's no RV or space for it. I know it was dumb to even consider it, but at least I asked before giving it a shot and losing my $$.

Thank you all for responding so quickly.
Not that I am saying you should reconsider but it is could be possible that what ever address you have is not where the MH is actually at. I don't keep my MH at my personal address.

Still, I agree...some red flags going on here. Perhaps they person will give you the name of their business to see if that is valid. If that checks out, you might have a little more thinking to do.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Yep, I was merely suggesting Google Maps as a way to determine if it was a residence or not. Many people who live in urban settings have to store their coach elsewhere.

Nothing can eliminate the chance of a scam but the asking for odd photos is probably the closest to being foolproof. If you get "the coach is not here" or "my camera is broken" just move on. Someone who wants to sell their coach in this economy WILL find a way to get you the picture you want.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

If it is that good a deal I would think someone locally would have snapped it up. Even a dealer would pay 1/2 price for a coach like this.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

I wouldn't be so quick to judge this as a dumb idea, or even a scam. I would take the idea of paying an Albuquerque dealer or inspector to have a look for you. Would hate to have an opportunity slip through my hands because I was apprehensive.

Realistically, these kind of scams are usually littered with spelling and grammatical errors and stories that don't make much sense, and always no chance to see the item in person since it's always "...in a shipping container waiting to be shipped...". Unless they've gotten much more sophisticated in relatively short time, considering you're even being presented with a viewing op, and a well-written credible story behind it, it just might be worth a hundred or so to have it checked out in case it's legit.

You can just Google "Albuquerque motorhome inspector" and the third hit is for a site that has an inspector. Not sure of the cost since I didn't filter through their site. I would go this route because, if you send an RV dealer and this is indeed a great deal, they'll snipe it from you to sell it off themselves if there is profit to be made, considering they have a wider network than everyday-Joe trying to sell his motorhome.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #11

aha, you guys are great. Thank you so much!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #12

RUN FOREST RUN
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it smells like a scam; reads like a scam; it's probably a scam!!!!

Quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Maybe it is an RV inspector in ABQ who is touting for more business, by offering an underpriced coach?

Tags
monaco