Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Well, since I received the exact same e-mails from the exact same scammer, I'll go ahead and answer Bob. I think I mentioned my "spidey sense" and rather than making a assumption that everything's a scam, I make a judgement when I see the direction a transaction is going. PayPal alone wasn't what got me suspicious, it was the bit about not being able to access a bank account but being able to surf the web and catching a day old for sale ad. Those 2 things didn't add up.

Catching that first inconsistency then got me to looking at the rest of the e-mail and the 3rd party pickup agent struck me as odd. Then I did what I do whenever I need to know something... I googled it. And, unlike the time I googled "heart attack symptoms", I didn't ignore what I found LOL.

After the "I'm offshore" e-mail I replied that I thought it was a scam. He replied with just an "Ok" and I really got nervous because I had sent him a pointer to the pix of the rig on Drive. I went through and removed his view permission and change my google password just in case.

I recently worked for a company that provided anit-hacking software to networking companies so I have a pretty good sense of the tactics used to gain access to systems and accounts.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 35' - White Tiger
Cape Cod
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by stik View Post
The fact that BFLinn won't let this go is starting to make me wonder . . .
Maybe he senses a "Heartbeat" still.........
Attached Images

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #31
Bflinn, why you want to argue this issue is beyond me even when you admit it's a scam. All you are arguing is was it obvious in the OP, and everyone but you feels it was. You are mixing apples and oranges when it comes to buying a MH from a dealer here sight unseen, like I know alot of people do. Usually that is a new MH, or if it's used from a reputable dealer they trust.

I have one question for you- did you read the part they would have their "agent" come and pickup the MH after all the funds were transferred ect. If you were a legitimate buyer and not trying to scam anyone, why wouldn't you send your "agent" to look at the MH prior to making the purchase. I'm sure you will have an answer but it won't make any sense like the rest of your posts.

That along with many other clues in the OP from the OP are enough for the sensible person to avoid any further contact with this person or to even attempt to set up a paypal account and give them all their personal info. I think the OP was just trying to warn others, I could see somebody who's vulnerable, going along with it because they really need to sell their MH quick.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's discuss the topic and not each other. Every member is entitled to their opinion.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Cliff. I simply asked so that some folks who might be fooled by such an exchange could learn how to identify it as bogus. Yes, there are many 'red flags' but at the point of the initial posting, no one has yet identified how, at that point, it was a known scam. As I've pointed out, if they ask for a cash payoff to the visiting agent or some other obvious step that costs the ad lister money, there's little doubt it's crooked.
If I've ruffled feathers, sorry you take honest exchange and requests for clarification as confrontational. It was just meant to ask for justification in the conclusion everyone seems willing to jump to without concrete facts, just assumptions of it's duck-like odor and appearance.

I taught math for a number of years and always gathered information from rent-to-own stores, title loan offices, banks, etc. to educate kids on what bad deals look like. When the math was computed and the students saw the high rate of interest and costs in such transactions they could define a scam. Still not sure from the beginning two emails how inexperienced sellers would jump to the 'scam' label.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #34

Scam offers from classified listing

This is what I refered to; a few of the hundreds of easily available online examples below. This stuff is extremely old hat.
"Offshore" and "oil rig" are red flags as big as some of the bridges that have been sold over the decades.
The internet can be our warning bell, but only if we USE it.

No math required.

Be careful my friends!

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #35
Ford Super Duty Owner
yes it does sound like a scam to me also . but not all people outside of
the us are scammers . we have bought a few big ticket things. a few
someone lived nearby and drove over to look. and we bought with out
looking at them. but did haggle price. and had the motorhome picked up.
another time bought a complete. tow bar base plate cables wireing ect.
from a cragislist add on the west coast. paid by paypal and he shipped it
to the east coast. my point not every thing is a scam. i phoned sellers
and had a good feeling and everything worked out just fine
need to trust your gut
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Let's discuss the topic and not each other. Every member is entitled to their opinion.

I agree Cliff. We need to be considerate of others' feelings. We have a reputation to uphold on IRV2. This reminds me of that "other" RV forum that I left because a lot of the members just weren't very nice to each other. JMHO!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #37
I listed my Coachmen for sale on Craigslist about 4 days ago. This AM I had a text from a number that is either from Ohio or China (my MH is in Fl.). The questions sounded legit until their third text (he answered my first 2 responses immediately) when he said he would pay through PayPal, asking if I had a PayPal account, telling me how easy it is to set one up. He also mentioned he would have his agent pick it up.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't quite figure out how anyone can scam you using PayPal?
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #39
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
We as humans, were blessed with something called "common sense". This is not a computable way of tallying defined comments to arrive at a conclusion. We simply analyze what we know to be the way society normally deals with situations and process it to a conclusion.

When you receive one of these emails, "common sense" says there is no way that with all the things included in the body of the email that nobody does, that you should likely participate in the request.

These people pray on those who don't have "common sense" as well as the "desperate" who typically throw away "common sense" in the hopes that this is the email they have been waiting for to get them out of their situation.

I've sold lots of vehicles on various internet sites and have received tons of email wishes to purchase like these.

I don't swear as a rule, but I have to tell you, I always take the opportunity to send a reply using words that would ban me for life from ever coming in contact with a human! LOL

It may do nothing and be a waste of time, but at least they know EXACTLY what they are and how I feel about what they do.

Funny how I never hear back....I wonder why....was it something I said?

Maybe their "common sense" suggested they were likely not able to buy my vehicle by the things I suggested they do in my email reply.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #40
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It's common to open a dispute with PayPal for an item purchased as either not received or as described. PayPal will hold the money withdrawing it from your account. So you may be without the RV and money.

P.S. I received the same email from the same guy for my RV this week.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #41
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Here's a link with some of the ways you can be scammed through PayPal.
Q: How are scammers using PayPal to scam people?: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #42
Fleetwood Owners Club
My reply said paypal not an option their response didn't fit. the scammer sends payment on paypal, pickup motor home and tells paypal he never received it. paypal will not release funds until you can prove delivery.
Sorry if i wasted space, just wanted to help.

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote