Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
jgh

Fleetwood Owners Club
Scam offers from classified listing

Warning these are the scam offers i received.
1999 Fleetwood Discovery

I am interested in buying your 1999 Fleetwood Discovery and would like to receive additional information about it, such as present condition, last asking price and pics if available, i will like to pay with PayPal. Here's my email-(swayroy@gmail.com)

Regards.
Roy Sway.

Good to hear back from you, i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project, i am at sea right now so i wont be able to check the 1999 Fleetwood Discovery am buying this for my dad as a surprise gift so am willing to offer you the amount you requested, i insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online and i don't have internet banking too, but i can pay from my PayPal account as i have my bank a/c attached to it, all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payment, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, i will suggest you set one up at www.paypal.com it will not take you more than 3 mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so that i will make payment, i have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up they will also determine and secure the shipment once payment has been sorted, i will also need your full name and phone number.

Regards.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
How do you know it's a scam? If you open a Paypal account, only you can take money out. Roy could transfer money from his account to yours. You could wait to be sure the transfer was legit before releasing title and RV ownership. The enclosed link to Paypal was legit. The Taranaki Basin basin is also an active drilling area for oil and gas off the coast of New Zealand.

What's the indication it's a scam? Did you follow up the initial contact with the photos and information he requested? When entering to a sale of thousands of dollars, it's certainly not unheard of to share name and phone #. I talked a number of times to the seller of the RV I bought 1,500 miles away before flying out to inspect and purchase.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

Every thing reads a scam,

Off shore
as a gift
in a hurry
sight unseen
list price
only paypal
at sea, no contact

Pay pal, cashiers check, etc., are not as safe as they sound.

I would run from this as fast as I could.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree on the certified check, they can be forged and can take much time to discover. PayPal is pretty secure, especially if you hold the title until the money is secured. What would the OP be out if they followed up on this?

Bob & Donna
Old 12-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
It's a scam. I remember reading about it a year or so ago. The email has several versions. One is I'm at sea and purchasing your auto/truck/motorcycle as a surprise for my son and I can't come to personally view it.

I don't remember exactly how it's done, but somehow it's made to appear you have the money until you transfer the item.......

I'm thinking I'll google it and maybe post more after I get the details.....
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Its a scam...theres a ton of examples of similar e mails buying a car for my son/daughter and one where the scammer asks if there are any problems with copper pipes.......They all ask that a paypal account be set-up...and point out its easy. The language in all the e mails is awkward with the same lack of capitals for "I". And who pays full price for an RV? Guys from Nigeria....that's who
Old 12-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Here it is:

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be "Paypal" saying "kindly send us some acceptance fee via Western Union or moneygram and we will release the funds". Paypal does NOT send such emails, ever. Paypal does NOT demand the receiver pay to receive the money.

Or the scammer will say "I sent extra money, kindly withdrawal some and send it back to me or the non-existent car transportation company via Western Union or moneygram." When the REAL owner of the paypal account realizes YOU took his cash, you get the real life job of paying the REAL paypal account owner back.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of being the perfect buyer, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake car buyer paypal Western Union", "fake paypal email scam", "car shipping company fraud" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near victims of this type of scam.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
If they are still sending out these scamming e mails then folks must be getting scammed. A lot of folks won't come forward fearing they will look like a fool.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got the same email from the same person, scam scam scam! They must be looking at this sites for sale section.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I got the same email from the same person, scam scam scam! They must be looking at this sites for sale section.
Ditto, exact same wording on his last e-mail. The scam happens when the "pickup agent" shows up and Roy asks you to deposit his check and write the agent a check on a US bank for $3000. Of course, Roy's check will bounce.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Ditto, exact same wording on his last e-mail. The scam happens when the "pickup agent" shows up and Roy asks you to deposit his check and write the agent a check on a US bank for $3000. Of course, Roy's check will bounce.
This description is different than the OPs. No check mentioned, just Paypal. What would be the damage to email a response, wait for Paypal verification, then continue with the transaction? I know there are many similar scams out there, heck, even the Nigerians are still finding suckers to help smuggle money out of Nigeria, but until the deal gets squirrelly and I am asked to front some money, give up the RV or the title, I don't see that the OP could identify it as a scam.

By the way, I'm very skeptical of most all internet offerings that are too good to be true, but not sure this rises to that level --- YET. A Google search for 'Roy Sway' gets no hits.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
BFlinn - google New Zealand Oil Rig Scammer
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #13

Bob ..... these are scams !!! period.
They happen everyday and sadly people are taken in. I hope you are not on that waiting list.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
BFlinn - google New Zealand Oil Rig Scammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Bob ..... these are scams !!! period.
They happen everyday and sadly people are taken in. I hope you are not on that waiting list.
O.K., It certainly sounds like the scams listed on the Google search I did. STILL, if folks would learn NOT to just accept an email claiming to be an official Paypal pay notice, and check your own Paypal account to see the balance, you couldn't be fooled.

Folks need to attend to their own affairs, there are many folks who would rather try to take your money than earn it honestly. Paypal, banks, credit cards, don't send out email notices that your account has been limited and you need to click the link in the email notice to 'fix' things. I have my own bookmarks for any site I do business and I use those links, not one provided in an email. If you examine the full header of these emails you can often find a bit more about them. My sister died 2 years ago, about 3 months after her death I started getting emails from her. No, not from the grave, but from Russia.

In Roy Sway's email, what does the header reveal? Is it even from a .nz account? My question of the original post was, what in the information shared here as a caution of a scam reveals it as bogus? Providing HOW you discovered it was a scam would have been a valuable warning. Just saying, "Warning, it's a scam!" Doesn't teach folks how to recognize these crooked dealings.

Giving your Paypal account name doesn't open you to being defrauded, giving your PASSWORD would. Wasting time, taking down your ad thinking the RV was sold would be a nuisance, but I'd go along until they ask ME for money. When you SELL something, there is never a need to front money to make the transaction go. If they do ask for YOUR money, then your scam alarms should go off.

Bob & Donna

Tags
offer