Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Scangauge for Ford V10

Thinking about getting one to monitor the mpg for our Challenger 37KT.
Where does it connect?
Found them at Amazon from $95-160. Any thoughts on where to purchase other than Amazon?

Thanks,
Alex

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

Connects right to the OBD port under the dash

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

I have had one for years. Love it! Even with it quirks!

It was irreplaceable when chasing down missfires when COPs and plugs needed attention.

Also programmed it for transmission temps which was needed just last spring going west of Death Valley!

About the quirks, on the RV ford V10, for some reason all of the trip data would go crazy showing something like 4,200 "miles driven today" and all related data. This may happen a couple of time on a three week trip. I may have driven 400 miles some days, but never 4,000!

When I switch it to my 2000, 6 cyl. Silverado it will cause the clock and radio to reset (to 12:00). I has also caused my truck (only) battery to drain dead. It is a known problem with the truck/SG combo that they don't play nice together. I can solve the clock problem by re-plugging but forget the sequence, and using a lower scan rate. Do not leave it plugged in the truck any more, after killing one battery.

Never had a problem on my Suzuki, which is where I leave it most of the time!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My experience was that it did a poor job of keeping track of MPG.

All other functions worked great and I really liked having the information it provided.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get transmission temperature on the Ford, which was one of the primary reasons I bought one.

MPG works ok for me. I monitor instantaneous and recent average.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there anything wrong with using the trans temp gauge ford put in my motorhome? I know some people think factory gauges are nothing more than idiot lights but temp gauges due have some range at least.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #7

I have 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta with the Ford V10 and I use Xtool Code Reader , it plugs right into your OBD2 port and is wifi or bluetooth enabled and sends the data to your smart phone in real time. You can download there app for free and it works on all Apple Iphones or Ipad, you can also purchase one if you own android phone. You can check every sensor on the engine, which is close to 80 of them and you can also data log any sensor. I purchased mine on ebay for around $50. It is simply awesome. I attached a image from the app used on my Iphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8495.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	84049  
Old 01-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgjessop View Post
I have 2008 Fleetwood Fiesta with the Ford V10 and I use Xtool Code Reader , it plugs right into your OBD2 port and is wifi or bluetooth enabled and sends the data to your smart phone in real time. You can download there app for free and it works on all Apple Iphones or Ipad, you can also purchase one if you own android phone. You can check every sensor on the engine, which is close to 80 of them and you can also data log any sensor. I purchased mine on ebay for around $50. It is simply awesome. I attached a image from the app used on my Iphone.
Do you happen to have the model number? Does this reader show transmission temps?

Is this the model>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promote-XToo...75956961&rt=nc
thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #9

Yes that is same Xtool I have and you can see trans temperature. There is a custom mode where you can select what sensor information you want to see. The main benefit which will pay for this tool, is that you can see your real time fuel economy. For my 35ft Fleetwood fiesta towing our 2011 Toyota Prius, I get 8.0-8.5mpg. When I am not towing I get 10.5-11mpg. The key is that I keep it at 53-54mph. If I go up to 57-58mpg, my fuel economy drops to around 9mpg, If I kick it up to 65 I get 7mpg and at 70mph I am close to 6mpg. With the real time fuel economy it will allow you dial in the optimal speed to get the best MPG. The Picture below is proof that our big gas RV's can post some good number when it comes to MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4412.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	84223  

Tags
ford, v10