Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #1

School us about TPMS systems, please

Our new to us MH carries it's original tires. 2005 and 11,000 miles means that age will kill them before tread is close to worn; and we're fortunate that the MH was kept in moderate climate inside...so no cracking so far.

That said, better safe than sorry, so the thought of installing a TMPS enters the question. Will a failing tire increase temperature or pressure before it blows?

Is there a "most commonly used" TMPS system on the market for 6 tires?

If not, what features are Needs and what are Wants?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

TST is the one I use. It is my second tire monitoring system, the first being stolen in a breakin. It does a very nice job. It will monitor temperature and pressure of up to 18 wheels. The other thing it will tell you is which tire just blew out and at the age of your tires, I would strongly recommend you replace before any road trips.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I second the suggestion to replace your tires real soon.
TST is a very popular tpms, and I have heard very few complaints about it. I use TireTraker, which is same as Tire Minder and works much like the TST systems. The cost of a good tpms is usually less than the cost a new tire, so in my opinion that's good reason enough to install and use one of your choosing.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forget the TPMS for the immediate future AND get yourself to a tire store to replace the 9 year old tires. They are a major accident waiting to happen.

They may look great on the outside but take a good look on the inside and the beads.

I replaced 8-10 year old tires back in 2010 prior to my first trip to Alaska. Before that, the coach sat in one place since purchasing it in 2003. When the technicians changing the tires were breaking down the old ones, the beads were breaking into pieces as they used their bars to dismount the old tire.

In regards to TPMS systems, there are many to choose from. I tried the Doran TPMS for three years and I do NOT recommend them at all. I now use the Tire SafeGuard and I am a VERY Happy Camper.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I just purchased a TST TPMS and on the first trip it performed flawlessly. We bought the 507RV which measures both the Air pressure and temperature. It was very easy to setup. The added bonus was it required a special tool to remove it preventing theft. As I understand I can also replace the batteries in the sending units as required. Its interesting to see how quickly your tire pressure rises as your tire warm up when travelling. I know it might not prevent every failure that might occur. But there's no guessing when pressure drops or disappears and the unit alarms. Very pleased we bought the TPMS
Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #6

I understand the time situation, and have had three service companies besides myself inspect them, too...I'm that interested in what others see in them.

All say the same thing. Tires look fine...er, don't look like they need immediate replacement. That said, I'll likely get the two fronts done first, then do the rears a few months later, just to be sure.

In the meantime, what's the drill for IF a tire blows out on the highway? Call Good Sam and they handle it, or what?

What's the cost difference between an emergency tire replacement and store-bought?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #7

We like our TST system, and please consider replacing all your tires now.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would agree that your tires are pushing the "aged out" limit.

I have used a Tire Tracker system for several years now after serious problems with a different system. The Tire Tracker sensors are smaller and lighter than any others I am aware of, but more importantly, they work well and have never failed me.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use the TireTraker system. I bought it with 10 sensors so I could cover the toad, and also bought the range extender to mount in the BR closet to get better signal from the toad.

It was the most economical system I found at the time. You can replace the batteries in the sensors, the sensors are less expensive than most, and the sensors seal the valve stem to prevent leakage.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
We like our TST system, and please consider replacing all your tires now.

Well, gentlemen...I haven't felt so, "looked after", since basic training

Our plan is to change the front tires before our next trip. Look at them after removal in order to determine whether they're as good as they look...or not.

If we have to do the rears, too, then so be it. Since we're not full time at all, it would be nice to get more time out of them, just because. That said, it's safety first, and I'll err that way if need be.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #11

Please reconsider the tire issue! Those OLD tires are DANGEROUS! I know it is expensive but so was the RV and so are your lives. If you have a problem on the road replacing those tires will cost you twice what getting them done by a reputable local dealer will charge - don't ask how I know.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #12

Coming from a boating forum, I can see that we all look out for each other, and are generally much more conservative about the mechanicals. That's good.

Morphing into another subject (TIRES), I'm a 3,000 mile/year guy at most, so the pain of replacing tires based purely on their age is heightened

Being cheap, I'd hate to replace one on the road...likely 3x more expensive

Being practical, I know that any tire can blow at any time; even new ones.

Being frugal, I'd like to keep a set of tires (2) under $750. I have a local shop that has two Yokohamas for that price. He also has Samsun (Isreal) for about the same price.

GIVEN that we are not full timers, and do not drive high speeds or summer driving...does anybody have a suggestion?

Our current (OEM) tires are GY670, and I'm not in a position to tell you whether they're good/bad, or ugly.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
... Before that, the coach sat in one place since purchasing it in 2003.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, I would love to hear the story of your coach that sat for 7 years and never moved. What had to be fixed/replaced other than tires after all those years? Just curious....
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #14

IMHO--most of the brand name TPMS's are comparable in function and price. Do like the TST model with lockable sensors, flow-thru stems, and replaceable bats. I wont preach to you about tires--think you realize you are in the "danger zone" and are taking a calculated risk--your safety, your call. The two main concerns about blow-outs are: 1) the potential to lose control of the coach and cause a major accident for yourself or others, and 2) the considerable damage that can occur to the coach in a blow-out [eg, fiberglass, air bags, suspension, etc.] Good luck on both your decisions--tires and a TPMS.....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote