Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Scooter, car or nothing?

We are still planning on driving around Canada & the USA in a 30' motor home. Because of the gas prices, I am thinking staying home would be the best, but we want to do it so we will. If we tow a car, it will be harder on the RV, cost more gas, be harder to drive, but we should be able to drive it in to busy towns and save a little on gas when going to town for food. If we take scooters, we need two scooters, there is two of us or we have to get motor cycle licenses. It is hard to know what scooters are good and I may be spending $5000 to save $2000 on gas! If we just take the RV, we are limited to where we can go.
What do other RVers think?

Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say get the smallest car you can get it would be better than a scooter ride in the rain. Look at the smart car its a 2 seater and can't weigh that much more than a couple of scooters.

1996 GulfStream Conquest 31feet May 2011
1984 SouthWind 27feet loved for 6 years
1 Wife 6 Kids
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you decide to tow a vehicle make sure it does not exceed the hitch weight. Also IMHO it is best to get a vehicle that can be towed with all four tires on the ground. You can do that with a lot of vehicles, however some require modifications. We have towed and are now towing a Jeep Wrangler. It easy as easy as they come. Just follow directions in owners manuel. No modifications needed. There are many others as well. I have found that towing does not greatly bother the fuel mileage either, at least in my case. Good luck with whatever you decide.
John- 2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
catonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Conquest102 View Post
I would say get the smallest car you can get it would be better than a scooter ride in the rain. Look at the smart car its a 2 seater and can't weigh that much more than a couple of scooters.
X2. It sucks getting stuck in the rain. If not a smart car, look for a gently used Honda Civic. Plus it's a pain to take the MH into town after you get it all set up and level. Tthe last thing you want to do is tear down to go to dinner.
Traveling whenever possible with DW, 3 kids and "Tate" the mut dog. 1999 Minnie Winnie 3F430V
Bondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to FMCA and find towable cars. All the info you need.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What if anything are you towing now?
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

Towing a toad is easy

I have a 40' DP with a 340 hp Cummins. I tow a 2009 Chevy HHR 4 wheels down.

We have the usual undercarriage tow package on the car and a Brake Buddy system. To tow the HHR, we hook it up, string the electrical hook-ups from the MH to run the brakes and rear accessory lights, hook up the Brake Buddy, pull one fuse from the car's fuse box, put the car in neutral and take off (we've got it down to about 10 - 12 minutes). No tranny lube system, no running the car's engine every 2 hours, and no limit on speed if 65 is fast enough for you. We do not know that the toad is back there. Fuel mileage is close to the same. Turning a corner downtown is the same with or without the toad.

We like to centrally park the MH and do side trips to explore this beautiful country and 30 - 36 mpg on the HHR sure beats 10 - 12 with the MH. Plus it would be a pain in the patute to drag the MH out of some tight campsites whenever you wanted to do something.

This sure works for us and we love the system and the car that we've chosen.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Carolina Campers
I bought a 95 Geo Tracker this past spring just to use with the Motorhome, it's 40' diesel pusher with the 330 HP Cat. The Tracker is not the "Prettiest Girl in The Class" but it's so light I can't even tell it's behind me. It's just the right size for two people, on the warm sunny days it can be a convertible in less than five minutes, great fuel mileage, and requires no modifications to tow four down if it's automatic and 4WD, or a 2WD five speed. I got mine from a couple who had towed it for years behind their 30' Class A Gas Motorhome and sold it only because of health reasons and had stop traveling. It was already wired for lights and included the Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar. The best part was all this for less than $2500.

Here's a picture made the day we went to look at it, the wife liked it so that sealed the deal and it came home with us.

tpdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I second the motion to two 4 down some small vehicle, I also like the Civic. I have a 1997 Civic 5 speed manual that has 180K and is worth about 3 or 4 K. It can be towed without problems 4 down. Gets 30 mpg in town. If you try and have a go without a toad, you will spend more traveling in the mh to sites you want to see than if you drove to a central location in the mh and took the toad for side trips. I am in the process of changing my toad now from my venerable 1985 Nissan pickup to a 1998 Honda CRV 4sp automatic. So wife can drive. Have a blast seeing North America. Hope this helps.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #10
Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like I will be spending the winter on finding out why my 36 Chev hot rod with a SBC 350 is over heating when it driving over 50 mph and why when it gets hot, the oil pressure drops! If I am taking a car, that is the car I want with me.
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
Overheating at speed is a symptom of restricted water flow in the radiator.
Heat thins oil, resulting in lower pressure, which is normal.
Look to the overheating problem first; it may require you have the radiator 'rodded'.

This is off topic but you can PM me and we can go deeper into this.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg - 2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
"In God we trust" to preserve our country and bring our Troops safely home.
Carry on, regardless..................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
since you dont have a motorcycle endorsement... youd be limited to 50cc scooters in most states. Top speed is ~40mph on a good day. If you want something safe... a 250cc 4 stroke is the bare minimum to keep up with all kinds of traffic.
Unfortunately there is a limited selection of new compact 250cc scooters and a couple are more expensive than entry 500cc motorcycles. Most large displacement scooters are HUGE in size and designed for long highway rides.
If you can find an 80s honda elite 250... those things are like anvils in the scooter world.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Newmar Owners Club

Having been real full timers for 6+ yrs., we're convinced having a tow car (toad) is the way to go. For example,....say you're camped up in the Banff/Lake Louise area. Rig is parked, leveled, hooked up. Scooters in the mtns. ain't a very comfortable way to see the glaciers, Lake Louise, Banff, etc. Towing a small car is not a big deal and offers much more flexibility, convenience and comfort for poking around the various areas you'd like to experience.

Steve & Lynette
2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like I will be spending the winter on finding out why my 36 Chev hot rod with a SBC 350 is over heating when it driving over 50 mph and why when it gets hot, the oil pressure drops! If I am taking a car, that is the car I want with me.
Firm believer regarding the need for transportation other than the MH. I agree on your choice of vehicles. It's hard to beat something that's paid for. If it's got really nice paint you might want to get/make a bra for it? Also, if you've already done the easy stuff, replace the rad. hoses. One of them might be collapsing internally?

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote