Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
screen tent

Anyone use a screen tent when they are camping? we looked into adding a screen to the awning of our Bounder. That was very expensive and complicated ( over an hour to set up we were told by Camping world)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #2

I have a patio room for my awing,takes 1/2 hour to put
up taking my time. most of the people at Camping World, I
think don't even own a RV. the patio room was $500.00 but
well Worth it.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
When I had a pop-up we had a screen room that zipped onto the awning....kind of a pain to set up and take down but with three kids the extra room was worth it! You might be able to find one on craigslist too.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Heartland RV Club
We use a 10x10 screen house ,very easy to setup and put away . We just slide the sides up over the top and fold her up. Takes just a few mins.
I paid $130.00 last year from Amazon.com
Amazon.com: Swiss Gear Smart Shade 10- by 10-Foot Screenhouse: Sports & Outdoors

www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

I have the portable screen room and it takes about 15 minutes to put and take downand stores nicely in one of my compartments. I didnt like the one attached to the awning because if the weather turns bad I want to be able to roll up my awning quickly as I can. If the weather destroys the screen room all I do is carrying to the trash and my RV has no damage.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #6

IMO, any attachments to the awning can be a problem if you have to roll up the awning quickly due to bad weather. It's happened to me several times. It's especially unpleasant in the middle of the night when you have to take down attachments in order to roll up.

We have a screen tent but we only use it when needed. If you look at screen tents, think about the type that have no bottom. There is no sweeping necessary.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba07 View Post
We have a screen tent but we only use it when needed. If you look at screen tents, think about the type that have no bottom. There is no sweeping necessary.
We have one of those and bought another with a bottom. Those with no bottoms don't keep many insects out and snakes and field mice crawl right under the net. I now have a Gander Mountain screen room with floor and it's worth every penny we paid for it. Nothing gets in.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you don't mind my asking, where was the picture taken? It looks like a beautiful park!
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by free2wander View Post
If you don't mind my asking, where was the picture taken? It looks like a beautiful park!
Cotton Hill Rv park ,we were there last weekend. Very nice park.

Campground Details - COTTON HILL, GA - ReserveAmerica - [nrso]
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
When we went to New Hampshire last year we were eaten alive by the mosquito's and black flies. Fortunately we built a nice smoky fire and the only relief we got from them was to be downwind in the smoke! So we went to the local WalMart and the fellow showed us the display model of screened in tents that he couldn't keep in stock. Every time they come in, they sell out. So when we returned home, the first thing that I did was to go to our local WalMArt and purchase one. It was only like 30 or 40 dollars. When we returned to N.H. this season we brought it along with us and set it up where the picnic table was actually inside the tent. It is a good sized tent. Maybe 6x10 with plenty of headroom. It kept the mosquito's at bay and as an added bonus, it kept the fire wood dry from the three days of rain that we had because we stacked the wood off the ground and on that table.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #11

I have what looks like the same screened canopy that Tallyrver has. Mine has a flap around the bottom of the walls that allows me to weight down the side
panels and this will keep out bugs, mice etc. I think I paid about $120 (well spent) dollars on it
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Bought my 14x14 from Gander Mountain about 12 years ago for $80.. still works
Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
As Alba stated, they are a pain if bad weather pops up. We bought one a few years back and used it several times. That is, until a couple of wind storms came along and we had a time trying to save our awnings. Gave it to my brother in law after that (yes, I do like him), and they have used it a few times. After getting rid of the patio room we just bought a small 10 x 10 screen room that is easy to set up and take down and if the wind gets it we are not out a lot.