Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Scrub Daddy for cleaning bugs?

Has anybody tried the Scrub Daddy sponge for removing bugs from the RV? Annette says these are fantastic in the kitchen!

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...gmIaAioK8P8HAQ
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I called the Scrub Daddy folks and asked that question. She referred me to the FAQ's on the website, and down near the bottom to the question "will Scrub Daddy scratch?". As you can see, it specifically mentions that it's safe for auto finishes.

https://scrubdaddy.com/faqs/
Old 04-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have the Diamond Shield it will scratch it. It does not scratch the glass.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
If you have the Diamond Shield it will scratch it. It does not scratch the glass.

Isn't the Diamond Shield something like a ClearCoat? If so, they are claiming it won't scratch it.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #5

Dryer sheets work for me, and they're free if you use the ones that have been run through the dryer.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #6

Diamond Shield is actually a clear self-adhesive film used to protect the front cap from rock chips. Best cleaner I've found is Bug Off from Star-Brite. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, and you can then just wipe the bugs off the film (or paint). Diluted about 50/50 with water, spray it on your windshield squeegee, spread it over the windshield, wait and rinse (squeegee) it off with fresh water and no bugs on the windshield either.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #7

I suppose the scrub daddy would work but then I would have to figure out how to use it on the windshield without a ladder.

I have been using the Norwex Kitchen Cloth for the past couple of years. I use it with straight warm water. No chemical cleaners.

It does not effect the finish or wax coating (303) on the Diamondshield. I drop it over my extended wash brush with squeegee to do the windshield and finish with a micro fibre towel.
This is The Quickest and Easiest method I've come across and, no cleaners to remove the wax that I worked so hard to apply.
If you source it from a Norwex Dealer I don't think it's quite as expensive as Amazon.
There are a couple variations of this cloth. The one with the visible squares is the only one to use for bugs.

https://www.amazon.com/Norwex-Kitche...+kitchen+cloth
Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe, your 3M film is very soft. It doesn't take much to cause micro scratches on it. I hate to say it, but there is really no secret cleaner, other than to stay on top of the bugs.

For my front end, I wash with soap and water and then protect with 303, Pledge or other spray on product. I start out with a clean 3M shield and if it's a buggy days drive, I clean it at the end of day or next day. If really buggy, I wash with soap and water and re-spray with one of the above products. I never have to work hard at getting mine clean because I clean and spray before the start of each trip and on days that there are excessive bug issues. If you do this, the bugs come off easy.

I do use a nylon scrub pad on the windshield. I spray on glass cleaner, scrub with the pad, spray on more glass cleaner and wipe off.

As your 3M shield gets older, it will lose it's luster. On my Diplomat, I used a good paste wax on it at the beginning of a trip. The paste wax filled the micro scratches and made it look good for a short period of time and kept the bugs from sticking. Many will say that you cant use any petroleum products, but I disagree. I used anything and everything on my 3M film over the years and it held up better than 90% of others that I saw in my travels.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thankfully my Windsor did not have the 3M Diamond Shield!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No 3M, scrub away. Wax is still the secret to easy bug care. You don't have to wax the entire coach, just keep a good coat on the front end.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote