Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

New Horizons Owners Club
SD Residence and PMB Address

We relocated from MD to SD in 2014. We established a mailing address (a PMB) traded our MD driver's license for a SD license, and tagged our truck and trailer in SD. Now we want to fish and buy a hand gun and are finding that we aren't equal to other SD residents. We understand that is required to prove that you have been residing in the state for 90 consecutive days prior to applying for a annual resident fishing license. As for buying a gun, we have not found a gun dealer that will supply a gun because we have a PMB address on our SD driver's license. This seems like discrimination against full-time RVers, or are we missing something or doing something wrong? What are other SD full timers that don't have family or property in the state doing for address and the fish & gun purchasing problems we are encountering? We are a bit bewildered, because now we can't buy a gun anywhere in the country, nor legally obtain an annual resident fishing license anywhere in the country either! Are we really SD residents?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had a Post Office box for 11 years. Two years ago, they required a hard address to comply with Federal Law. I live in an RV Park, and gave that address. I can get any permits that I need. Also, since I'm not in an urban area, so my vehicles don't need an emissions inspection for licenses. I live in the Park in the summer, and Texas in the winter. Eddie Elk.

1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

When applying, try not to use the letters 'PMB'. Try your street address and #..... or Apt. #......

That's assuming your mail forwarding service gave you a street address.

Also, posting this in the full-timer's forum might help. They use mail forwarding services all the time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Thank you for your replies and ideas. The DMV here insisted that PMB go onto the driver's license. We had argued for Apt but no go. The gun dealer look at your driver's license and it's game over. I will post over in the full timers area too.
Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
When applying, try not to use the letters 'PMB'. Try your street address and #..... or Apt. #......

That's assuming your mail forwarding service gave you a street address.

Also, posting this in the full-timer's forum might help. They use mail forwarding services all the time.
It doesn't matter that the mail forwarding service provides a street address, and it doesn't matter what you put on the application (we used "#"), the SD DMV will automatically put "PMB" on the license.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
Thank you for your replies and ideas. The DMV here insisted that PMB go onto the driver's license. We had argued for Apt but no go. The gun dealer look at your driver's license and it's game over. I will post over in the full timers area too.
Thanks again.
If you do get a gun permit in SD, be careful where you take the gun. SD probably has reciprocal agreements with other states, but the gun will be illegal in states where there is no reciprocal agreement.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 AM   #7

Can't give answer about gun. However Ron has had no issues geting a fishing license when we have been there. Trying to overcome the PMB by using any other nomenclature with business or financial institutions is like blowing in the wind. Their data bases will tell them its a business addy.
Call you state give rep and ask them for help
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

In Idaho, you have to be a resident for 2 years before you can get a resident fishing license. Until then, you pay the non-resident license fee.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Why not just buy the out of state fishing license?
Old 06-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #10

Its been 5 yrs since I bought my last 2 handguns in SD. Back then the only store that gave me a hard time over the PMB address was Cabellas in Rapid City. I called the regional supervisor for ATF and he said the ATF had no problem with our address as long as the state considered us residents. But that each dealer was responsible for being comfortable that they were selling to a valid resident buyer. I just went to one of the smaller gun shops and had no problem. Things may have changed in those 5 yrs. My recent purchases have been long guns which can be done in any state.
When I originally got my SD CCW permit in 2007 I was staying the summer in a CG in Sturgis and it was a quick easy process with that sheriff. When I renewed it 5 yrs later in Pennington County, I had to stay in a SD CG for 30 days before that sheriff would renew it.
As for the fishing license I'm used to buying non-resident licenses in the many different states I fish in, including SD. I think it was $69 instead of $30, big deal.
Its not discrimination, its just part of the grey area fulltimers fall into legally as part of the difference between domicile and resident. We are domiciled in SD, but most laws are based on "residency" which is a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
.... What are other SD full timers that don't have family or property in the state doing for address and the fish & gun purchasing problems we are encountering? ...