Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

sealant used on roof seams

We just purchased a 2008 Fleetwood Providence and when I looked at the TPO roof I didn't notice that they used a sealant around all the seams that is silver colored and STICKY. I mean leaves and pine straw is sticking to the compound. I have no idea what they used but this isn't good. I will have to pull this debris off piece by piece every time I wash the roof. Anyone have any ideas as to what this compound is and any suggestions as how I might seal this stuff to keep it from being so sticky.
Pre thanks

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #2

You will have to remove the existing and replace with Dicor. Probably nothing would adhere to the sticky stuff. I have seen people run strips of eternabond across the seams and as long as it crosses the sticky compound and has somewhere to adhere to solid it will hold. Just know that when you attach eternabond it is there for the duration. Good luck

Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #3

I've had excellent luck with Eternabond and depending on how challenging it will be to get the existing goop off you might want to consider covering over with Eternabond. They say the only thing that Eternabond won't adhere to is silicon based products, which doesn't sound like what you have.
If you use Eternabond it is recommended that you put a bead of Dicor or some other sealant along the edge to prevent exactly what you are experiencing i.e. debris and dirt sticking to the Eternabond seal along the edge.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi nbargolf,
EternaBond is the way to go. Consider purchasing the wide 4" or wider rolls. Clean the area to be sealed as best you can. The old sealant does not need to be removed as long as the EternaBond has a good surface to stick too. That is why I recommend purchasing the widest roll you can. If you do this, consider dropping a chalk line to guide where you put the edge of the EternaBond. Once EternaBond touches the roof, is is difficult to impossible to reposition. EternaBond has a 10 year warranty.

I did my coach in 08. The coach remains dry.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Before using Eternabond you might want to visit the Eternabond Instructional Video Library. Before buying any Eternabond, check pricing at your local roofing supply companies. They might sell it cheaper than the RV supply stores. Yes it has a warranty, only if you apply it using Dicor recommended procedures.
Gary is right, it doesn't need to stick to anything in its middle, the outsides are the important areas.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've owned our 2002 DSDP since it was delivered to us on June 26th 2002. All I've ever done is wash the roof, check the seams and recaulk as needed. Roof is still in good shape and no leaks. Have never needed anything but the Dicor on the main roof. I did use some sikaflex on the seams where it rolls over to vertical.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

A call to Fleetwood should get you the name of the stuff they used. I've never heard of this problem before with any FLeetwood coach, so am womnndering if there is some reason the sealer didn't form a dry outer skin on yours. Maybe the cleaner you use is reacting with it? Some chemical in the air where you park?

On my [Fleetwood] American Coach with a fiberglass roof, the factory roof sealer is Alpha Self-leveling, All-weather Caulk #1015, the same stuff used on rubber roofs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found out the hard way that sealants have an expiration date after which they will not harden. This was with a clear silicone for a shower enclosure. I'm guessing that someone re sealed your roof with some old stuff that wouldn't cure. If so , it will have to be completely removed or covered up as suggested above.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what you mean with the caulking.

Which edge/s should it be put on?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
I've had excellent luck with Eternabond and depending on how challenging it will be to get the existing goop off you might want to consider covering over with Eternabond. They say the only thing that Eternabond won't adhere to is silicon based products, which doesn't sound like what you have.
If you use Eternabond it is recommended that you put a bead of Dicor or some other sealant along the edge to prevent exactly what you are experiencing i.e. debris and dirt sticking to the Eternabond seal along the edge.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As stated already, 4" Eternabond will fix the problem as long as the original sealant is not that wide. Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

Had the same problem. Used a multi-purpose tool with the scrapper blade on it. Took less than an hour to remove all old stuff. Wiped down with alcohol and applied the Dicor tape. I did not seal the edges and not having a problem with leaves etc sticking to it.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
Had the same problem. Used a multi-purpose tool with the scrapper blade on it. Took less than an hour to remove all old stuff. Wiped down with alcohol and applied the Dicor tape. I did not seal the edges and not having a problem with leaves etc sticking to it.

Regarding the tool you used, is it one with small blades that
vibrates side to side?

Which brand did you use?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch460 View Post
I want to do a couple areas on my roof with the tape too! Looks like the previous owner once had a satellite dome mounted on the roof! Just caulk on the areas in question now.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #14

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Yes, it is a tool that vibrates back and forth. Tool comes with a few attachments, a little saw, grout remover etc. The one I used was a craftsman. The tool manufactures all sell them. Just lay the blade at about 2 degrees and go. Just dont tilt it too high.

Tags
roof