Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 06:09 AM   #15

We have carried bicycles on all 3 of our RV's. First Class C on a ladder rack; In the bed of the pickup truck when we had a TT. On our current Class C we use a hitch mounted rack that could easily move to a toad if we decided to take one. If I had a fiver, the bikes would probably be on a ladder rack.
Our bikes are not inexpensive, about $800 each when new. At home they are in the garage, but have been stored outside on the RV for 2-4 months each year for the last 6 years and still look pretty good and work like new. I keep the moving parts well lubricated, but we do not cover anything but the seats. We ride them almost everyday if we can and full covers would be more trouble than they are worth.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Get the RV you want and put a bike rack on the bumper. They can be reinforced to safely carry them. If you are concerned about the elements get or make a cover for them. You can buy several bikes for the price of buying an rv you don't like.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
No matter what RV you have, there will be some spot where you want to bike that it can’t go. That is the reason we have our bikes on a solid Yakima carrier mounted to the hitch of our toad, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can take the GC to town, on dirt roads, and anywhere in between while the RV happily sits in a comfortable campsite. We do have our bikes stored in the motorhome right now though, sitting on the bed which is covered with a plastic drop cloth. It was a royal pain, and we needed to take the front wheels off to get them through the door since the coach slides were closed. It is only while the coach is in storage at a lot in California while we headed back to Iowa for the holidays. It is definitely NOT something that I would do regularly. Even getting them up the stairs and into the main cabin was a pain.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #18

My wife and I use a Ford Flex as a toad behind our motorhome. My wife rides a Worksman trike bike and I ride a regular two wheel. By pulling my seat and front wheel and the handle bar of my wife's trike, we carry them inside the Flex, safe and secure and out of the elements and road grime. Works well for us and we have the Flex for local travel to the rail trails that we favor.
railtrailers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by railtrailers View Post
My wife and I use a Ford Flex as a toad behind our motorhome. My wife rides a Worksman trike bike and I ride a regular two wheel. By pulling my seat and front wheel and the handle bar of my wife's trike, we carry them inside the Flex, safe and secure and out of the elements and road grime. Works well for us and we have the Flex for local travel to the rail trails that we favor.
We do the same with the Nissan Xterra the fits two bikes inside with the rear seats down. And we have a vehicle to take us to the bike rides when we are at the parks.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #20

Look at the Alpine 3901re or the avalanche 387bg.

Both are considered toy haulers but have a unique SIDE LOAD FEATURE and a small garage. The living space is the largest you will find with a garage. It is perfect for bicycles or one motorcycle.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #21

I prefer to haul bikes inside something when traveling down the road. I don't mind a rack for local around town hauls. When traveling on the highways I just don't like the bikes being exposed to all the rain and dirt they get on a bike rack. Ours fit inside our JKU. I do leave the rack on the Jeep to use for local transport once we reach our destination.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We raced for many years, and now just do long distance time trials and occasional mountain bike trips. Our road bikes/time trial bikes will never travel on the outside of our coach. Just to much money to expose to bad elements....both the weather and people type.

The cargo areas in our old gas coach were just big enough to squeeze in the bikes, but not real easily, so they traveled on the bed under blankets. Never scratched up any furniture because we didn't want to "injure" the bikes.

We didn't want a toy hauler because we didn't want to dedicate that much room to the bikes. And actually considered getting a bunk bed floor plan and removing the beds and turn it in to bike storage.

But instead opted for our current DP has pass through cargo trays in the storage and the bikes fit perfectly when we lay them down.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the OP has rather expensive bikes and funds available to get what he wants. I would get a MH to fit our wants and a pickup as a towed with a topper tall enough. This setup will allow a minimum of four bikes in protected secure environment and transportation to and from events from camp sites.

LEN
Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Sounds like the OP has rather expensive bikes and funds available to get what he wants. I would get a MH to fit our wants and a pickup as a towed with a topper tall enough. This setup will allow a minimum of four bikes in protected secure environment and transportation to and from events from camp sites.

LEN
We have a Grand Design 351M fifth wheeler toyhauler. Excellent for our bike collection and extra half bath, beds in the garage, and a "playpen" /ramp out back. Can even get the bikes out the second side door. Excellent quality and layout.
coachkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkids View Post
We have a Grand Design 351M fifth wheeler toyhauler. Excellent for our bike collection and extra half bath, beds in the garage, and a "playpen" /ramp out back. Can even get the bikes out the second side door. Excellent quality and layout.
I've (we've) looked at those, and they have many features that we really like. The only problem with the toy hauler or the bunk house floorplans is the gargantuan size and weight of the 5er. If we were full timing, okay, but for a 2 to 8 week trip twice a year?

As Len suggested, we value our bikes. Inside storage only for a couple of single bikes and a tandem, maybe more if friends/family join us... It's either a bunk room converted to a bike room or else the toy hauler garage. The extra half bath will be handy as well as the extra fuel storage, but this is a long way from towing a compact travel trailer, bikes under the bed cap (my original concept).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gotta wrap my head around the idea of towing a 40 foot 5th wheel. I might even need to get a triple axle behemoth.
DeadGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #26

I use one of my trays for our bikes, I have fork mounts attached to both ends( opposite sides) of the trays and put the bikes derailleurs facing up. My wifes bike is smaller so that goes in first, then covered with blankets and then mine. I put the wheels in bags so they don't scratch anything.

Tried to post a Picture, couldn't get it to work
Old 02-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #27

We carry our Santana tandem with the front wheel removed in the slide out compartment of our Itasca Meridian. My single bike snuggles up next to it. Both stay clean and dry.
I use a hitch mount rack on the back of our dingy when carrying the bikes locally.
la24236 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor