Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sears Air compressor doesn't work ... return number 2

I returned the first as it had been opened before. Didn't think to test it, but went to use it this last weekend and it wouldn't work.
The outlet gauge would never go above about 10 psi and there was hissing out of the regulator valve so that valve must be no good. I will do an exchange. I hope the next one is of better quality.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I quit buying Sears stuff just for that reason...seems I went through at least 2 or 3 of whatever I bought to get to that good one. I'd heard so many good things about the Sears 1.5 that I broke down and bought one.

Although the instructions no longer recommend the break in period of running it for 15 minutes under no load, I did that anyway. The little thing does great...I can top off our 22.5s in about 30 seconds and it weighs in at less than half the pancake it replaced. I'm really happy with it and it doesn't take up much room where it lives in the RV. I did, however, get rid of that weenie hose that came with it and can now air up everything from one position - usually a 20amp CG hook-up.

Hang in there, it's a good value for the $90 bucks. Oh yeah, I bought the 3 year extended protection for under $15...not bad! Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee,,,, Mine is six years old and as of yesterday when I last used it.. Blowing strong.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny thing is, I broke it in but forgot to test it out O_O
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Has anybody used the Sears 1.5 for running air tools? It doesn't have much volume; is that a problem?

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post

I returned the first as it had been opened before. Didn't think to test it, but went to use it this last weekend and it wouldn't work.
The outlet gauge would never go above about 10 psi and there was hissing out of the regulator valve so that valve must be no good. I will do an exchange. I hope the next one is of better quality.
You don't say which Sears model you purchased. There are some that are basically a POS for use on a coach but there has been one in particular that many people have purchased and highly recommend.

Maybe you just bought the wrong one.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Has anybody used the Sears 1.5 for running air tools? It doesn't have much volume; is that a problem?
I've used my small air drill motor with it. Your not going to do anything big...like change any tires with a half inch impact. It'll blow filters out with a little rest and it runs my quarter inch angle grinder for small jobs. I also have a quarter inch ratchet wrench what the 1.5 drives pretty well...again, not a lot of volume but for small jobs verses the 1.5 gal. capacity, it's does pretty good. This is the model I have. I did get rid of the weenie hose that came with it. Bob

EDIT: It has no problem topping off our 22.5s with it's 150psi capacity.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Did you make sure the drain valve was completely closed? I have the 1.5 Sears and I did the 15 minute break-in with the drain valve open. Closed it and aired up my 22.5 tires without any problems. As others have mentioned, it's a great little compressor for MH tires
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes the drain was closed. Second thing I checked you can feel and hear the air escaping under the plastic reg. dial .
Old 06-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes the drain was closed. Second thing I checked you can feel and hear the air escaping under the plastic reg. dial .
Probably just some Chinese manufacturer employee's bad attempt at a little 'compressor humor'. Once you get a good one, you'll love it! Bob

Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
remember kmart owns sears,as a former employee of sears i can see they have gone downhill,the guy at habour freight said they now sell more tools than sears and craftsman is now sold at ace and many flea markets try tracter supply they seem ti have better stuff
brianj
Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have the Sears model #15309. It has proven to be reliable and trouble free so far over the two years we've owned it. It gets overall good reviews from other buyers. Given the country of origin, quality control probably changes on each production run. If you have the same model, return it and try another one.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought a little Campbell Hausfeld 2 Gallon compressor model
FP20955 and it workes like a charm.
justinnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I exchanged it for another. Probably should have returned it and bought another so I had the 90 day return start over again but I didn't. This one worked ok

Tags
compressor