Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seasonal Lots

Hi everybody and MERRY CHRISTMAS.
My DW and I are considering placing out RV on a seasonal lot this coming spring and summer. I was wondering if some of you that have gone this route, can fill us in on a few things. Our plan is to use this lot as a base and do some road trips from there.

Does the lot rental usually include power?

What is the going rate for a lot?

Has your experience with doing this been good and is this a good way to camp for the season?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
There are lots in our park here in Florida that are rented out. Electricity is usually not included since it can vary from month-to-month. The rent here can be between $450 and $500 a month depending on the size of the lot and the location.

I can say that if such a park existed up north we would definitely do that for the summer months. It's a great way to have a home base and explore outwards.

2013 RoadTrek CS Adventurous
jillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
Coastal Campers
We did that on October 1st. Initially for 6 months with the option to extend. The reason for the 6 months is that stays of 6 months or more are exempt from the bed tax. So far it has been great. I found a place that also has a marina and a launch ramp in some fine fishing country.

I think you will find that stays of a month or more meter the electricity. I have been using about $30/mo. but that will vary considerably based on your usage habits such as heat and air. The water is included. The rate is $500/mo in round numbers.

Another reason to stay put for a while is you get to meet people. We are satisfied and are going to extend our stay and save some diesel fuel next year.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
First of all, I also want to wish you a Merry Christmas & then get down to the topic at hand.

I (we) took a seasonal lot in the New York state Catskill mountain region from April - Oct of this year for the very first time. Our reason was that we are tired of dragging our 30' tt around to the tune of 7.5 - 8.5 miles per gallon. Also, being somewhat handicapped makes the entire hookup - unhook procedure increasingly difficult with each passing year. We visited the campground at our leisure, commuting in our 4 cylinder daily driver.

This campground did not have sewer hookups - just water & electric - altho rate included a once weekly pumpout. Unfortunatly the size of my black & graywater tanks would not last a week in spite the drastic measures we took to conserve water. For this reason alone I will NEVER ever consider a seasonal site that does not have full hookups. I used the bathroom facilities at that campground & despite the daily cleaning, fellow campers ensured that the bathrooms were disgustingly filthy.

Electricity is normally not included in most seasonal sites & this campground had to pay a higher commercial rate which they passed on to us. Campers who spent the entire time at their sites complained about the high electric bills.

Will I take another seasonal site? Yes, I will. This time it will be somewhat closer to home. As much as we enjoy a change of scenery we also enjoy coming back to the comforts of our home. Another thing, this past season did not cooperate weather wise. Lots & lots of rain & mud which meant being confined to a 30' tin box. Thankfully I enjoy reading. Hurricane Irene washed out many roads in the Catskill region so that for a time we could not even get to or from the campground.

Wow !! In re-reading this post it seems as tho I've done a lot of complaining. In closing, I'd say "Go for it!" You may love it. Me, I just want to find the right facility that will hopefully suit our needs.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Most of the websites on CGs will tell you a seasonal rate and what it includes. Most do not include electric. It would be cheaper to pay a seasonal rate versus monthly depending on how long you intend to stay. My cousin leaves their camper at the CG in NY state where they stay at year round, even tho it is only open from May to October. Hope this has helped.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
There are as many options as there are different RVs. Right now we're on a site for 5 months (our first Snow Bird experience) here on the Central East Coast of Florida. In the summer months we'll travel out of our home base in Western NY State. With general travels and camping with our Good Sam Group. Maybe some day we'll get to the point where we park the trailer on a site, but not for a few years as we want to explore more of the Good Old US of A. So if using a Seasonal Site works for you go for it, but I would suggest you camp there for a few days before putting any money down. Places can make themself look really great on a web site, but you really need to see for yourself. We came down to FL this past spring to look for a place and we saw some that you could pay us to stay there, others were OK and on a possible list, then we found the place we're at and didn't want to leave, so now we're back for the winter. Next winter, who knows, maybe here, maybe some other place in FL or maybe out West, have to wait and see. Best of luck which ever you decide.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Absoutely visit first and make sure you "fit"

A lotta campgrounds with a high percentage of seasonal sites are pure redneck weekend hangouts, partytown usa...
Generally, if a campground has more than 20% seasonal rentals, we keep on driving. Mostly the dw's choise, I like a good party.

I've also seen some that had very high standards and were very nice. One that I overnighted at in minnesota once had a row for "transients" and the rest were seasonals. The did not allow campers to be left onsite during the closed zeason, and the place was very nice. I was there in the spring on a Friday night, lots ofpeople were just bringing their trailers in, I spoke tomany and shared some beers, it was a nice group and a nice place.

Another where we spent weekend. 3/4 or more of the sites were"seasonal" many of the trailers looked like they had been there thirty years. And the place was full of teenagers screaming around all night in golf carts, many gas powered with the governors and mufflerslong removed. I enjoyed that place, dw did not.

Ya just never know what u will get
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
I lease two seasonal sites - all utilities are included and the lease goes April 1 - November 1 -- $2,000 each. Gas golf carts and "mobile decks" allowed with approval. Only resin sheds are allowed. A new campground is opening up across the lake and the price is about twice as much, the campground is open year round but you can only spend 180 nights (your camper can stay all of the time), no decks, no sheds. So, the terms and prices vary completely. Ask lots of questions!

There is not other way I could camp 80+ nights a year and hold a full-time job. We do not move our campers at this point, but we would like to get a newer class C we could take elsewhere when we want to and use as "guest quarters" when we want to. I would like to visit other spots at times, but we have great neighbors!
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ
1999 American Cruiser RE2000
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Where up north do you refer? New Hampshire has several, as does Michigan, Vt......
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Parks here in Northern Ohio run the range from $700 to $3000 a season. The $700 is a Corp of Engineers park with electric only. In the $2000+ range you get a park like Cutty's. In Central VT. you would be looking at $2500+ here Lake Dunmore Kampersville All charge extra for electric. Seasons usually run May 1st to Mid Oct.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote