Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

Seattle RV show 2012

I attended the Seattle RV show yesterday in anticipation of seeing new models to get ideas for possible storage solutions or modifications. I also wanted to get a look inside all the RV's I see out on the road and wonder about with regards to floor plans and how well they are put together.

Well mission accomplished. I was able to determine/confirm that my Komfort was one of the better models manufactured (subjective I know). I was also surprised to see how poorly some of the more popular named RV's were manufactured and laid out.

The most anticipated RV I wanted to see was the famous, Thor industries ďAirstreamĒ. I kind of liked them but I thought I had walked into an IKEA showroom. Kind of cool looking but not my taste by any means. Also, I thought the prices were crazy expensive and saw nothing to indicate you were getting what you paid for. $69k for a 27' trailer.

Also, I thought upgrading to interior LED lighting would be a good idea but I was able see a few RVís that have gone LED for interior lights and as it turns out, I donít like them. They may save power but they provide very harsh light in my opinion. Also, Airstream was the only one who offered a light dimmer.

One last thing I also noted and was very disappointed by was the lack of vendors for aftermarket items like backup camerasí, TV satellitesí, toilets, A/C units etc. I attend the boat and car shows regularly and there is no lack of stuff to buy. Most vendors were camp ground related. I also noticed vendors that would be better suited for the home show. What gives with the RV shows?

FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow--that IS pricey for a 27-inch trailer. Glad you enjoyed the show; the Houston RV show is going on this week, too.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Wow--that IS pricey for a 27-inch trailer. Glad you enjoyed the show; the Houston RV show is going on this week, too.
All that I said and you only commented on a typo. Will you attend the Houston show?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
DW and I went to a local RV show and felt there was not a lot that interested us. We had come specifically to look at new model 5ers. I agree with your comments on the LED lights in trailers. It was bright and white. A buddy of mine went to the show the next day and said that it was much of the same thing as the previous year. The only thing I got a kick out off was the Toy haulers. I had never been in one and was I suprised at the room and finishing. Told DW that 20 years ago that would have been a great rig to have. Think I'm gonna hit those shows once every 2-3 years instead.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Felt the same way about the FMCA rally tent in Indio,CA and the Big Tent at Quartzsite,a lot of stuff (spelled JUNK) for sale and not a whole lot of truely RV related products. Sad to see very little factory participation such as Freightliner, Cummins, HWH and the like. Just a sign of the times I guess.

Don
Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Went to the show here in Tampa a few weeks ago. Being I've never attended here before it was like the shows back home only on steroids. Quite a few people attended for sure. One area that seemed lacking to me were the staff the vendors had at their booths. Seems strange when basic questions about the products they were selling couldn't even get answered.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Went to the show here in Tampa a few weeks ago. Being I've never attended here before it was like the shows back home only on steroids. Quite a few people attended for sure. One area that seemed lacking to me were the staff the vendors had at their booths. Seems strange when basic questions about the products they were selling couldn't even get answered.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went to the show here in Halifax, NS a couple of weeks back. Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it. There were 0 Class A's, B's or B+'s and only 3 C's. The rest of the floor was all about towables. Not that thats a bad thing, but for me I wanted more Class A. There was only one aftermarket vendor selling very limited stock. I've heard the one in Moncton, NB, based on last year is the same of worse. So much for that road trip.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

Isn't it nice to like what you already have?

LED's are, by nature, point source which will make the lighting seem "harsh". But the power savings more than makes up for it if you are dry camping much. I replaced all of our lights (except refrigerator) with LED's and our total (all electrical use) power consumption when winter dry camping in the Northwest decreased by about 35% (the saving is even greater in the summer when I am not using the furnace). I no longer have to be a "light Nazi". Only trouble is that now that I am not whining about power conservation, my lovely wife seems to find plenty of use for the microwave O-well, I enjoy the food that comes out of it

Unfortently, to best capture the light from LED's (be it a RV, home, or commerical building), the light fixtures need to be properly designed and spaced. Something that isn't likely to be done by any RV manufacture....or aftermarket remodel for that matter...due to the time and expense involved.
Should you choose to go with LED's, you can reduce the glare by:
- Turn on only one "bulb" in a two bulb fixture when less light is needed ... not to save power but to "dim" the light. (I replaced my fixture switches with SPDT center off switches to accomplish this.) Or just get LED's with less lumens than you might otherwise get.
- Improve the diffusing from your light fixtures (i.e.; get rid of clear plastic diffusers)
- Put "shades" over task (reading) lights that you don't want shining in your eyes (i.e.; I built shades out of ABS pipe for the LED lights I mounted above the bed...they look pretty darn good too).
- And, of course, don't forget to get "Warm White" lights rather than the more common (and often less expensive) "Cool White" lights.

Have fun rekindling the love for your old trailer and safe travels,
Steve
Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishaPalooza View Post
All that I said and you only commented on a typo. Will you attend the Houston show?
Well, I see you corrected it...ahaha!! We were planning to attend the Houston show, but with these other glowing reports we might just stay home.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #11

We've been to two of the Seattle shows in the last few years and were very disappoointed. Since we're now almost 100 miles form the SODO district, we were not too interested in this year's show.

These reports confirm thet we shouldn't bother. We have our Class A and don't plan to change it until our heirs have to sell it! We aren't much into gadgets and gizmos, wnd we can get them at our local RV stores anyway. We'll be giving it a miss - again.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seems like the FMCA and Good Sam rallies have more rigs that we want to see, although FMCA is only geared to MH's
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't been to the Seattle show but your post summarizes all the other shows I've been to in the last 6 years.
We had a Komfort and really liked it and the Airstreams struck us the same way as you.

Aftermarket stuff now is sad, to say the least.

I'd sure like to go to the Harrisburg show. However we only go back there in warm weather.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #14

I would have to say though that there was lots of variety with regards to class A, B, C, TT's, popups etc.

We were just amazed at some of the prices. For instance we saw a 17' popup for $18K and it was traditional canvas ends. The difference was it had all the gadgets, i.e A/C, refrigerator, TV, etc. including a toilet enclosure. I didn't look to see if it was plumbed or if it was a port-a-potti.

We saw one Class A DP 40'+ going for $280K but was closed up with the new potential owners on board. This thing had a slide that ran the entire left side of the rig. I sure would have liked to have seen the inside.

Those toy haulers are getting better appointed every year but those are approaching 40'.

All in all we probably won't attend again for a few years.