Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Secure WIFI

When we travel in our RV, we do it both for business and pleasure. So, having a secure connection has always been important to us. We usually used our data plan to access the internet and create a hot spot if I need to get on the computer.

One thing I have wanted to do for a long time is to be able to setup a private/secure network in the RV but never had because of the cost. Well that ended yesterday we now have a secure wifi connection the RV.

I watched a You Tube video by David and Brenda Bott about setting up a Ubiquity network for less than $100.00 and decided to order the setup.
It all came in and I spent a bit of time on my computer programming the system and it all works wonderfully.

We are able to keep our RV at home, it’s on the side of my shop about 50 yards behind the house. So I have a metal building that interferes and the wifi system at the house is not only inside the house but in the opposite corner of the house. So the wifi signal has to go through all of the house, across the back yard and around the shop to get in the RV. We’ve never had wifi on any device in the backyard, the shop or the RV.

After getting everything put together, I logged into my home wifi with the Nano Station and created a private network with the cube. Everything in the house was excellent. We took everything out to the RV and just set it up on the dining table, low and behold it all connected to the wifi.

So for the first time I had wifi in the trailer and to top it off I had a private connection. We ran speed test and it was alright (nothing spectacular) so I took the antenna outside and set it up in front of the shop and RV so it had a clear line of sight to the house. Remember I’m still across the yard and on the opposite side of the house from my office.

I ran speed test again and was amazed that it came back in the mid-teens (it’s only in the mid-twenties in the office). I would highly recommend this based on my limited experience.

Here is a link to the video;

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #2

Sounds as though you did everything right, congrats. I might still consider VPN from connected devices to further secure your network traffic. Several reliable services exist, I use NordVPN.
festrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

I use VPN (PIA) whenever we connect to public WiFi, but in the RV I use a Pepwave Surf-On-The-Go with an aftermarket 9db antenna to make a private network from campground WiFi. However, I've been eyeing David Bott's Ubiquiti setup for a while now. At home we have DSL at about 14Mbs, but a neighbor 100 yds away and through the woods has cable 30Mbs. I've considered asking him to split the cost and let me share his via the Ubiquiti, but our DSL has been solid.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Smile Ubiquiti Air Cube AC and Nano loco M2

I saw the David Bott video from Outside our Bubble https://outsideourbubble.com/ two weeks ago and ordered all of the pieces on Amazon. I will say the cost for the Air Cube, Nano M2, cable and mount cost me just over $200.00. I will say that I used the video and within in an hour I was connecting my devices directly to the Air Cube router. So far I have had great results, I haven't done any testing but DW is now happy that we have WiFi.
RVgrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Secure WIFI

Unless you are connecting device to device within the RV, what is the difference between this and just using a hi gain antenna to connect to the camp wifi or your jet pack, using Vpn software on your tablet. The strength of the wifi signal will be the same. Of course I see the advantage if you have multiple device connecting simultaneously, hard wired and wireless.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

I connect I think 6 devices between phones, tablets, computers and DVR's, it's a lot easier to have all of them connect to the AirCube. All I need to do now is point the antenna and tell the Nano the password and everything is connected.

We did go to phase 2 on the Nano mount that we are going to use in a couple of weeks. I bought some 1" PVC from the box store and a union so I could split the pole and store it in the basement. I also bought a flag pole mount for the ladder.

I can run the 25' cat 6 cable out at the back of the slide and mount the Nano to the pole then set it up on the flag pole mount. This will give me an unobstructed view for the few times a year I need a long range solution.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

I use an Alpha Systems Booster and router at any RV park we stop at.

The First benefit is the signal boost.

The Second benefit is all of our many devices automatically connect to our secure router and interoperate on a private WIFI. This includes a Google Home System that can be a PITA to change WIFI SSID's on a regular basis.

Hey Google turn on the lights
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Secure WIFI

Ok. I too use the Alfa plugged into the USB port of a laptop. I guess adding a wifi router could send the boosted camp signal to the iPad, I am not sure it would do anything for the jet pack signal and there is really no need for the iPad and notebook to interact.
But I see folks have a lot more stuff. I don't do google, or Alexa or any of that stuff. Good old get up and flip the switch for me.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

Secure WiFi

So I am wondering:

If you use a booster or repeater with encryption for your internal RV system, is the signal from the booster/repeater to the provider - e.g., the campground system - not encrypted, since the CG system does not have the encryption protocols?
2usaretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #10

the low cost D Bott Package

I have used David's system for about 2 years and it is great. If i connect to the park i use and have security because of it. ( or any other public wifi like a McDonald flyingj etc). I have my mobely set so that if i'm using data from the n mobely i run it through the Nanostation and it router WHICH overrides the limit of connected devices that mobely has ( mobely has limit of 5 devices). With the nanostation there is no limit.

Great system many thanks to David Bott
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2usaretired View Post
So I am wondering:

If you use a booster or repeater with encryption for your internal RV system, is the signal from the booster/repeater to the provider - e.g., the campground system - not encrypted, since the CG system does not have the encryption protocols?
The CG WiFi just passes on what it gets from you. It doesn't care about encryption or VPNs.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2usaretired View Post
So I am wondering:

My private router network does not encrypt data to the campground. Encryption requires protocols at each end of a connection that agree on handshakes. Sensitive data such as on-line banking sessions are encrypted between the browser and the bank's system using HTTPS protocols. A private router network gives you the same level of protection you have behind your home router.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #13

I started with an old linksys router I had laying around and added the Nanostation Loco; it worked great, but I recently upgraded to a different router with a lot more boondocking friendly options. I can recommend the GL AR750 travel router (I actually got the newer “slate” version, but the original is cheaper at about $40 and for this setup should work just as well). The added features for us RVers on this router are USB port that you can use to tether your cell phone when there isn’t nearby WiFi for the Nano to lock onto, a baked in VPN client for the security conscious who have a commercial VPN account, a microSD slot that you can load up to 128gb of movie files onto, and it’s powered by micro USB and has a low power draw for precious boondocking amps (my coach’s usb panel is right next to the media cabinet so it works well). All of that and it’s about the size of a deck of cards! Just make sure to keep it in a well ventilated spot to keep from overheating. No affiliation with them- but thought others doing a home grown coach WiFi system and preparing to buy a new router might want to consider it.

PS: the reason the VPN is great is that it encrypts all your traffic so others on the same WiFi network can’t hack your traffic, even if you go to unencrypted sites.
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi