Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbob View Post
Think I will have to try this. Mine is manual and it just seems loose all the way around in even the slightest of winds. Lot of rattling and banging. Not enough to damage it but enough that you can't take an afternoon nap.
Are you pulling on the roller and tightening the small knobs on the upper rail?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #30

I agree with many here: The best advise is, don't leave an extended awning unattended.

I live in Oklahoma, "Where The Wind Comes Sweeping Down The Plains". We seldom use our awnings, because of the rogue winds we get from time to time.
And if you tie it down to anchors in the ground, when the anchor pulls out, your awning stands no chance.
I actually saw my DW lifted off the ground by a gust of wind, while trying to roll in a manual awning.

There are rare days, when there is little wind, while the sun is shinning... but in Oklahoma, they are few and far between.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #31

We live in our trailer in AZ for 4 months. Our rule is we don’t go more than 100 yds away without rolling it in. We do have ground screw in stakes and use a combination of adjustable straps and a stiff rubber bungee to connect to the awning. Just hook the bungee in the track if the awning arm. If winds above 15 are likely we don’t even put it out. Also after having to get up in the middle of the night to bring in the awning aInalways take it in at night!
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #32

As I spend a lot of time outside here in Arizona, And do not want to put everything away when the wind blows, which this year seems to be every day, I figured out how to make this one work.....straps alone on an electric awning won't work by themselves....one needs to keep the downward force off the material to keep it from stretching over time.....and doggie stakes are junk, as most of the time people buy the short ones and do not screw them in at an angle to help prevent pull-out....the point is...why not make it better and usable so that one could be visiting when a wind burst happens.......this awning has been deployed since October
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Are you pulling on the roller and tightening the small knobs on the upper rail?
Yep, pull it as tight as I can then tighten the knob.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #34

Follow up question:

Do those anti flappers actually work or do any good?

The ones you're supposed to clamp to the awning then secure to the awning supports to keep the ends from flapping in the wind.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes they work for the purpose they were designed for. Even a light breeze can cause the awning to flutter noisily. They will stop that, but they are of little or no use in the case of the heavy winds that cause damage to deployed awnings.

Glenn
Old 02-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #36

We were at Flamingo Lake in Jacksonville, Fl one spring and a brand new fifth wheel pulled in next to us. Nice couple first time camping. Left for a couple of days wit their awning out. First day the wind came up and pulled the attaching screws out of half the awning. Bent the tube. One end was on the ground the other still attached.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Yes they work for the purpose they were designed for. Even a light breeze can cause the awning to flutter noisily. They will stop that, but they are of little or no use in the case of the heavy winds that cause damage to deployed awnings.

Glenn
I am going to disagree as I have 3 deFlappers per side on my awning and they have been thru many wind storms in excess of 25mph.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post

Glenn
I have one de-flapper on each end of my manual crank out awning, and the fabric would pull out of the end at the slightest breeze! First I cut some strips of the anti-skid mat, and put in it, worked good, but still would pull out if the wind kicked up much! Then I decided to put the squeeze clamps to help the de-flapper hold the awning fabric better! Worked great, and can be removed very quickly if needed!
The crank out kit can be ordered from any good RV parts store, for around 80 dls. give or take, and you can do away with the springs and ratchet on all Care-Free Awnings, and let you crank it out tight and also crank it up very tight in the store position! With it staked to the ground, it is very secure!
Rail!
Old 04-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #39

We have 1st hand knowledge that the poles and de-flappers work don't we Bob? (along with at least 400 others)
Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
If it is a power awning, they aren’t intended to be used. Since they can’t withstand any wind and very little rain, they serve no purpose. I keep mine rolled up and forget about it.
I kinda feel that way about manual awnings too!

Our first travel trailer was sans awning as the PO lost it in a pop up thunder storm. We traded that in on a 5th wheel and managed to keep that awning for 11 years before it got damaged on a calm spring day. A stray breeze caught it and flipped it over the top of the RV. Now we're pretty gun shy about putting it up.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #41

It is nothing more than a large sail. You can use any method you want to secure it but with a sudden strong gust from the right direction and something will give. If you have it secured enough at the roller end it will just rip loose from the RV itself. That usually causes some expensive repairs.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #42

Common sense also has to come into play sometime.....if proparely braced, the awnings will be good for 30 mph.....after that, it's yours!.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning