Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #29

We were at the Famous Steak House in Co Springs late last summer. Somebody broke into our toad and stole a pair of sunglasses. $2200 damage to the toad. I never lock the bays and last fall while parked downtown in the town where we live somebody got into our wine cellar. They took 7 of the twelve bottles in a case. We were at a party and when we came out 2 bottles were broke in the street. I think it was one person and they had more then they could carry. They left us five of the twelve bottles, but damaged nothing. Why they didn't just grab the whole case is beyond me. Locks don't do much if they really want something. They will just break in and do more damage if you lock stuff up. Just like our toad.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I lock up my bikes. However I've never had anything stolen but I just keep people honest.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 AM   #31

OP you should re-name this thread.

Everyone give me your opinion in life on securing your stuff. Do you or don't you secure?
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #32

Other than bikes, I've never even thought of securing our stuff. I've always thought of campers in a little different light. Maybe I'm just naive.
TravelDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #33

My general rule of thumb is the closer you are to a city and the bigger that city is the more you have to "keep people honest".

Right beside our motorhome we had our rear window on the toad broken into. They stole a large unopened bottle of rum and a broken 35mm camera. This happened at Lake Havasu (not exactly a city)
Just outside of LA we had two camping chairs stolen, we were lucky the couple down from us had their bikes, BBQ, chairs and a outdoor fire pit stolen.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
My son-in-law says campers don't steal from their own!!! So far he has been right.
I agree....Never had a problem in 25 years of camping mostly at state and federal parks. The bikes I have are ones bought at garage sales, so no big deal. Even my inflatable kayak I leave out. When we go away, I'll lock the dead-bolt and make sure the one outside storage door with my tools gets locked.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
If a real thief wants your stuff, he will bring what he needs to overcome your efforts to secure it. I have only lost one thing, a pair of muli-colored suspenders for my tool belt, in many years of camping. I lock my bay doors to keep the honest people honest. If they want what is outside, my God bless them because maybe they need it more than I do.
" A pair of muli-colored suspenders for my tool belt"... Wow, maybe the thief thought he was doing you a favor......Smile!
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We normally leave three things outside, bikes, ladder and chairs. I chain the bikes to a tree or table and leave the others unsecured.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #37

Cable lock the bikes and canoe or kayaks when we are away and lock the storage compartments. Never had a problem in my 45 years of camping though. My parents camped a lot and had a TT parked for a season for may years that they used on the weekends. I don't remember them ever having a problem either.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had anything stolen camping but when we were boaters we had a propane grill stolen off the dock at the marina. One of those tabletop Webers.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #39

Georgie Boy Owners Club
A few times I have left my kids outside, hoping someone will take them. Most of the time, when we come back from our travels, not only are our kids still there, but usually, some other campers have also dumped their kids at our site. We can't get rid of our rascals
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
I lock the bikes, but nothing else. If we are leaving the CG for
24+hours, I do lock the bays.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #41

Before going inside for the night I usually round up our ultra comfortable recliner chairs and bicycles, put them under the high bedroom slideout to help keep rain off of them, run a 20 ft cable lock through them (including the parts of the bicycles that have quick-release mechanisms on them) and secure the cabe lock to the MH frame. Everything else goes into the basement storage bays that I always keep locked. I never leave anything in the toad passanger compartment so it doesnt look worth breaking into. DW says I am paranoid but I've never had anything stolen. Its not so much the financial cost of having some accessory ripped off, but the inconvenience of not having my toys when I want to use them that would piss me off the most.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #42

Never leave the beer out. I finish it off before going in! Can't be too careful.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote