Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
In all the years I have camped first with parents, The Ex and kids, and the last 20 with my wife, the only thing we have lost was a duffel bag with some clothes and some Peanut Butter, and crackers. Raccoon pulled it off about 50 yards through the woods. Got it opened and feasted on the peanut butter.

Last year while In Q I had our Generator, chairs and sometimes prospecting gear all sitting out. We would be gone from early Morning till Dark never lost a thing. And like was said before hope our luck holds out.
bjcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #44

Red face

We were at Roosevelt Lake east of Phoenix in October. The lake was gorgeous and the water still warm so just about everyone in the CG spent the day down by or out on the water. During the early afternoon a couple of low life's cruised through the CG in a pickup. One guy hit every site for anything that wasn't nailed down and quickly loaded it into his buddies truck. They were seen but got in and out in just a few minutes with a substantial haul of generators, BBQ's, stereos, tools etc.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and one of our neighbors lost his Honda generator. Don't know how, if at all, it was secured. IMHO: Leaving valuables out, unattended and unsecured creates a target rich environment that just encourages thieves.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #45

April 2012 at Grayland Beach SP in Washington, had a cooler with 3 diet sodas stolen. July 2013 Alta Lake SP in Eastern Washington a couple of kids stole the cheap vodka out of our cooler. This past October, we arrived home from our family hunting trip (cut short by a family medical emergency) late in the evening. In my haste I left a propane tank in front of the garage door. It was gone in the morning...
Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #46

I have decided to got the 30ft cable and padlock route. Ill lock the bay doors and chain up the rest. Minimal protection.
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not as worried about the seasoned campers as I am about the special occasion/ holiday warriors. Oh, I can feel the heat already!!!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
If you're there for a while, your RV camp neighbors do a very good job of keeping an eye on things. This is been my experience.
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #49

Decal indicating security system by S&W... And NRA member decals. Maybe authorized "Concealed Carry" permit holder displayed?
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNHebb View Post
Decal indicating security system by S&W... And NRA member decals. Maybe authorized "Concealed Carry" permit holder displayed?
I always felt that this type of "advertising" would invite criminals to break in. Better off not giving someone a reason.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I always felt that this type of "advertising" would invite criminals to break in. Better off not giving someone a reason.
I agree. I have many, and having a concealed carry permit, I'm never far from one. I still don't like to advertise it because they are such a target for theft.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #52

Some years back we had a smaller RV. In order to keep sleeping arrangements safe and less cluttered, I left all our salt water fishing gear outside overnight. Packing was very easy after that; all our fishing gear left in someone else's hands. We now only leave "junk" easily replaced outside.
Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
I used to do a reasonable amount of amateur auto racing. You think campers leave expensive stuff laying around? Ain't nothin compared to the amount of tools and equipment spread out through the open pits and garage areas at a race. And in the racing crowd too there is usually no problem at all between the racers and the enthusiasts there. The infrequent thefts that occur are mostly from outsiders.

You know, like everything else in this world, it is all about respect.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #54

I use cable lock sets to secure the portable generator and a fairly expensive kevlar canoe. I also (if I remember) put a hitch lock onto the 5er pin. When off for the day, I lock the door.

I rarely bother to lock the bays. The chairs, a portable propane grill, a satellite dish on a tripod, two 2-1/2 gal. gas cans, a ladder, and an extra 20# propane tank are generally out. Other items laying around might be a cooler, a hatchet, bellows, a maul, a log holder, canoe paddles, and life vests.

In over 40 years of camping, I have never had anything stolen. Thinking back to the early years in a tent, we got by with a lot less gear. Back then, we didn't secure anything except the food if we were in bear country.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
So leaving DW behind, on top of the MH as a sharp shooter may be over the top? JUST KIDDING HONEY!!!!!!
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
So leaving DW behind, on top of the MH as a sharp shooter may be over the top? JUST KIDDING HONEY!!!!!!
Who you callin Honey?