Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #141

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting study and statistics:

One out of every five active shooter incidents is stopped by a victim at the scene. (THREE PER CENT by those who were armed civilians). Source FBI and ALERRT. " A study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States between 2000 and 2013 by the FBI.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...000-2013-1.pdf

Conclusion: training, training, training. A license and permit to carry is insufficient. Redundant training is needed to have proper tactical and situational awareness. If the LEO's make errors in training and in realtime events, where does leave those with little or no training?

I'll continue to have faith in my fellowman.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Interesting study and statistics:

One out of every five active shooter incidents is stopped by a victim at the scene. (THREE PER CENT by those who were armed civilians). Source FBI and ALERRT. " A study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States between 2000 and 2013 by the FBI.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...000-2013-1.pdf

Conclusion: training, training, training. A license and permit to carry is insufficient. Redundant training is needed to have proper tactical and situational awareness. If the LEO's make errors in training and in realtime events, where does leave those with little or no training?

I'll continue to have faith in my fellowman.
The ability to fight back? Or should they just concede to the shooter and bow down on their knees?

I really can't figure out what you're trying to say with your post.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
The ability to fight back? Or should they just concede to the shooter and bow down on their knees?

I really can't figure out what you're trying to say with your post.
He is saying that 97% of the incidents which are stopped by victims are done so by those who are NOT armed. Only 3% are stopped by armed victims. It basically says that being armed with a gun isn't as necessary to deflect a threat as it's so often made out to be. There are other ways to deal with the situation.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #144

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
He is saying that 97% of the incidents which are stopped by victims are done so by those who are NOT armed. Only 3% are stopped by armed victims. It basically says that being armed with a gun isn't as necessary to deflect a threat as it's so often made out to be. There are other ways to deal with the situation.
I certainly hope that to be true. I would never reveal my firearm unless all other means of resolving the situation have been exhausted. The firearm is the LAST resort in any situation and should be used ONLY in extreme situations. However, some situations do not leave the option open to resolve them any other way. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

CCW should only be exercised if you, your family, or other lives are immediately threatened and there is no other option.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #145
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I certainly hope that to be true. I would never reveal my firearm unless all other means of resolving the situation have been exhausted. The firearm is the LAST resort in any situation and should be used ONLY in extreme situations. However, some situations do not leave the option open to resolve them any other way. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

CCW should only be exercised if you, your family, or other lives are immediately threatened and there is no other option.

My thoughts exactly!
Old 04-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
What he failed to mention from his attachment is that the 4 largest mass shooter events (probably more) were done in "Victim Zones", oops, I mean "Gun Free" zones. The 97% only matters because most mass shootings occur where no one is allowed to be armed. These people are cowards and only attack people who can't defend themselves.

What is the first thing most mass shooters do when confronted with someone who is armed? They stop shooting victims and shoot themselves.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post

Ditto 100% Couldn't have said it better. In Texas there are currently over 1,000,000 individuals with an LTC, license to carry. Consider yourself very safe around these people because they have had the state sponsored training including shooting proficiency and are among the most law abiding citizens. Our training stresses exactly what Cooperhawk said.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
What he failed to mention from his attachment is that the 4 largest mass shooter events (probably more) were done in "Victim Zones", oops, I mean "Gun Free" zones. The 97% only matters because most mass shootings occur where no one is allowed to be armed. These people are cowards and only attack people who can't defend themselves
Ah.. Come on... Admit it.... Your never totally defenseless.

I'm going to play devils advocate here and give you 2 different "SELF Defense" measures for unarmed victims.

(1) Run... I don't need to outrun the 3000 foot per second bullet... I just need to outrun the DW.

(2) Get so scared as to defecate in your trousers. Scoop the poop from your "Black holding tank pants" and throw it at the shooter. The smell may just drive him away, OR he may just miss because he is laughing so hard

I don't believe that an anti gun person will ever agree with me but I also have a right to my opinion based on the 1st amendment of our constitution.. I also like the amendment directly after that one. If you don't agree with my opinion. You also have that right. I don't mean to insult. Only to entertain.................... BUT...... If I have in any way offended you............ Know that................ From the bottom of my heart................. I really don't care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgolden View Post
Hi Everyone,

As a " NEWBEE " How secure is it traveling with an RV. We all see the news where everyone seems to be going Nuts !

Any precautions that You would Suggest ????

Thank You,
I think it's pretty safe and secure or I wouldn't be starting it with my wife. While I'm sure incidents happen, they happen to people in sticks and bricks too. Probably at a higher rate. Pilfering unsecured stuff from campsites seems much more likely than an armed home invasion robbery of a MH.

Maintain situational awareness. Don't go to the places you have a feeling you shouldn't go --- trust your gut instincts. You're mobile, take advantage of that. Pay attention to the local news for where you are currently as well as where you're going. Go away from the places where there are protests, riots, high crime rates, etc.

I have a 4 camera system on the MH and it's hooked to a monitor and recorder. I can see 360 degrees around my MH without having to get out. Also, I added LED floodlights all the way around as well. 4 switches and it's DAYTIME everywhere around my rig.

Have a variety of tools and techniques. Not every carpentry problem is a nail and not all security issues can be solved by a firearm. Cell phone, bright flashlight, pepper spray, taser, pistol etc. Have a spectrum of responses to potential threats. Is the threat a bear or raccoon tearing into the cooler full of food you left out or is it the Mad Max Road Warrior crowd?

As in Hazmat: Time, Distance, and Shielding. Avoid the time of a potential problem, maintain distance from the hazard, secure shielding against the hazard.

Situational awareness is the critical component in a security scenario.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #150

Mid Atlantic Campers
As long as I have the capability to carry I will never consider myself a victim.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #151

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
This thread has moved off topic and is closed. To all those that contributed to the OP post and remained on topic - thanks. FYI, IRV2 permits the discussion on firearms within well-defined guidelines. The Community Rules link can be found at the bottom of the page or at: http://www.irv2.com/forums/misc.php?...ork&page=rules . Again thanks to those that contributed within those rules.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Closed Thread