Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #57

Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
Boy! What a subject! The survey sayssss, 9 out of 10 Rvers carry! Just lock your doors and windows. My brother-in law, with a class "C", stopped at a Cracker Barrel, in the northeast (?) The window by the table was left open, with purse setting on table!
When they came back, valuables, gone. One of the kids left the window open!! Check, Check,,

Safe Travels
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have always had the dual alarm system when RVing. Two dogs that is. Now our old girl isn't much of a threat but big enough and her younger step brother big enough and goes into high alert if anyone comes near.

Second amendment rights wise I think if you carry, keep it to yourself so I'm not saying.

The best advise is to be aware of your surroundings. If you plan to stay at Walmart overnight take a look at the clientele there. If it is a bad Wally you will be able to tell by who is parked, hanging around and coming and going. There is on by my inlaws winter home that always has people that look like they are living out of their cars there. Happy to report they do not allow RVs there. We have many times overnighted at rest areas, mostly filled truckers (even in the RV slots). They are looking for the same thing. Some rest and get going in the morning. If the rest area has any shady characters around, move on.

We have only been in one CG that was kind of creepy. Lots of permanent campers by the looks. It was hard to see this from their web site. We took a look at our reserved site and sacrificed 50amp for 30 in a different section of the park. All was well.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonion View Post
Boy! What a subject! The survey sayssss, 9 out of 10 Rvers carry! Just lock your doors and windows. My brother-in law, with a class "C", stopped at a Cracker Barrel, in the northeast (?) The window by the table was left open, with purse setting on table!
When they came back, valuables, gone. One of the kids left the window open!! Check, Check,,

Safe Travels
I agree with you that most RVers do carry some type of 2nd amendment protection either on them or in their RV or both. Times have changed a lot. When I grew up we never locked our house or car. Neighbors were the same way. My RV is in my back yard behind a locked fence. I would never consider leaving it unlocked at night. Same when we are at a camp ground. To me it seems foolish for RVers not to have some type of protection. I never discuss this subject with fellow campers because it is private. Having the protection does give me and my DW a sense of security.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It is time to take some valiuum and relax.
Yes indeed.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonion View Post
Boy! What a subject! The survey sayssss, 9 out of 10 Rvers carry!
Sorry...your survey is incorrect. In our huge group of full-timing friends - NONE carry and no one sees a need to do so. We're not that paranoid about society.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #62

Freightliner Owners Club
About 20 years ago or so we stayed in a municipal campground in Thunder Bay, ONT. It was the middle of summer, and the place was empty. We had no reservations and the run of the place. As we were leaving the next day we talked to someone in town who said there was a murder at the CG a few days ago. The hair on our necks stood up, timing is everything.

Off topic - I tried to look up the incident and accidentally learned that Thunder Bay was just declared the murder capital of Canada. I had no idea. Let's be careful out there!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #63

In Today's News

MADISON, Ind. (AP) — Southern Indiana police say a man suspected of stealing a woman’s purse at an Ohio River campground jumped into the river and swam away to avoid arrest.
Madison police responding to the woman’s 911 call found 50-year-old Charles T. Milano in the water about 20 feet from the riverbanks early Thursday.
The Madison Courier reports Milano swam about 100 feet into the river when officers used a boat to try to reach him.
After several attempts to take the exhausted Madison man into custody failed, the officers backed off and Milano held onto the boat until it reached land.
Milano then fled on foot, but he was arrested Thursday night at a Madison residence. He’s being held on charges of resisting law enforcement and interference with reporting a crime.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #64

Spiders are creepy to many people, however 99% are not only harmless to humans but actually helpful to have around. Many people though freak out over everyone of them. Its all in preception and fear.
Use your gut, enjoy. If your comfortable and competent with a weapon then go for it. Keep it to yourself. I find it funny that people advertise that they have concealed carry but broadcast it to the world. What part of concealed do they not understand????
Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
One tip I found sensible is to never open the door if someone should knock that you aren't expecting. Instead, open the window and ask what they want from safely inside.
I agree, but would also add to it. Keep in mind how you might respond if when you open the window you end up looking at the wrong end of a gun.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:17 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_g View Post
I agree, but would also add to it. Keep in mind how you might respond if when you open the window you end up looking at the wrong end of a gun.
.............and Ronnie now that you brought it up, what would you do?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
A few years ago, we drove to Fairbanks in our pick-up camper to do some shopping. It was winter and the campground on Peger Road usually keeps a couple of sites plowed out. We were asleep and I awoke to the sound of foot steps very slowly coming toward the camper. I slowly got out of bed, got my gun and creeped to the rear door. As the steps got to the rear door, I flung the door open AND-- came face to face with a moose. This has been our only experience with intruders and other animals.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
.............and Ronnie now that you brought it up, what would you do?
July 2015 +- 1 AM interstate rest area, knocking on the door / window.
While I am talking I am holding onto my response device, safety off.
I did not open the window or shade till he was walking away.
After he was gone we moved to a Wall-Mart.

Where I live all you need to do is watch the news to know that the # of bad people out their keeps growing. I CC to mow my grass most times. IMO this area is not user friendly.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_g View Post
You tell the intruder to have a look at the front of the coach and see my wife pointing the shotgun at his head from another window.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
You tell the intruder to have a look at the front of the coach and see my wife pointing the shotgun at his head from another window.
IMO
Our legal system does not allow for the non criminal to take preventative measures. That would be construed as threatening some one, and you end up in jail. The way the system works, you are suppose to be dead, then you can take action, sometimes.
Closed Thread