Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
I flung the door open AND-- came face to face with a moose. This has been our only experience with intruders and other animals.
Many years ago I was staying with my grandmother. +- 100 year old house with a tin roof. I hear noises in the night, she tells me to go to sleep it is only the roof cooling down. I go to investigate......
I am walking through the house, open the door onto the back porch. As I do I see some one in front of me, holding a gun, and I start to draw down on him. OK, so it is my reflection in the glass windows......
Back to sleep a little wiser.......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If you are in a motorhome, leave the keys in the ignition or nearby....then if something really scary happens, Drive away ! You could come back later and retrieve any stuff you left behind ! Blowing loud air horns if you got them would also scare away any would be bad guys...... Probably never happen, so don't spend much time worrying about it. Just trust your gut instinct, and If you don't feel safe somewhere, then leave 😃
Hopefully, you won't have your shore power, water hose, and dump hose connected when you drive off. It could be messy.

Joel

Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #73

If you're a newbee, I'd suggest you do a bunch of weekend trips before hitting the road for long, long trips.

There's no substitution for learning all the quirks of your trailer and how to deal with the frustrations. Hopefully any nit picking service issues will pop up on weekend trips.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_g View Post
I agree, but would also add to it. Keep in mind how you might respond if when you open the window you end up looking at the wrong end of a gun.
We're in a class A. The perp would have to have a ladder or stilts.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #75

Nana25k,
The older Canadian couple were murdered and there RV was found burned to the ground. The RCMP have apprehended the dirt bag that did this cowardly act to an older defenseless couple. Of course in Canada you can not carry your hand gun unless you are going in the most direct route to your gun club and back. For that reason I carry a 3 1/2" Benelli Super Nova 18 1/2" barrel shotgun. As the old saying goes, " Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it". Anyone who tries to take my guns and ammo is gettin the ammo first.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #76

So you can carry a shotgun but not a hand gun?
Old 09-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #77

Bigd9,
Yes the Benelli is part of my gear.[ I don't have it strapped to my back ! ] The penalty for carrying a handgun in Canada is severe...........like the crowbar hotel for awhile. Besides, the un-mistakeable sound of chambering a round with a pump 12ga is a real attention getter that any low life would fear. Like most people , hope i never need it.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Bigd9,
Yes the Benelli is part of my gear.[ I don't have it strapped to my back ! ] The penalty for carrying a handgun in Canada is severe...........like the crowbar hotel for awhile. Besides, the un-mistakeable sound of chambering a round with a pump 12ga is a real attention getter that any low life would fear. Like most people , hope i never need it.
I had a double barrel shotgun clicked shut and aimed at me once. Very distinctive sound. A property owner was upset at where we were building a road and wanted it moved! He ended up in the "crowbar hotel" for awhile for an education and a attitude adjustment!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #79

Bigd9
Wow ! scary ! Anybody that pulls clown acts with firearms , IMO , should be banned for life of owning ANY type of firearm.
Anyways, keep your barrels clean and your powder dry , thks for story and enjoy cruising and having fun.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #80

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
Hopefully, you won't have your shore power, water hose, and dump hose connected when you drive off. It could be messy.

Joel
Might be but you'd probably be alive to come back and clean it up!
Old 03-28-2017, 01:31 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Nana25k,
The older Canadian couple were murdered and there RV was found burned to the ground. The RCMP have apprehended the dirt bag that did this cowardly act to an older defenseless couple. Of course in Canada you can not carry your hand gun unless you are going in the most direct route to your gun club and back. For that reason I carry a 3 1/2" Benelli Super Nova 18 1/2" barrel shotgun. As the old saying goes, " Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it". Anyone who tries to take my guns and ammo is gettin the ammo first.
I have heard "rumors" that many in Canada carry flair guns with a 410 shotgun sleeve. Have you or anyone heard if this?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #82

can`t make this stuff up

Bad guys that were interviewed in jail say what they fear the most when breaking in houses are a stupid inexperienced home owner with a shot gun or a big dog. I guess that would apply to RV`s to.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
Off topic - I tried to look up the incident and accidentally learned that Thunder Bay was just declared the murder capital of Canada. I had no idea. Let's be careful out there!

Making a blanket statement like that is not only grossly inaccurate, it's wildly out of context.

The FACT is that the 'murder capital' tag is PER CAPITA, and even then does not take into account that the vast majority of the victims were Aboriginal people involved in activities the typical RV crowd never even sees, let alone partaken in.

Out of 11 murders, yes, 11, that year, 7 of them were aboriginals.

The other FOUR were still not the kind of folks you'd generally meet in an RV'ing setting.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_g View Post
July 2015 +- 1 AM interstate rest area, knocking on the door / window.

While I am talking I am holding onto my response device, safety off.

I did not open the window or shade till he was walking away.

After he was gone we moved to a Wall-Mart.

I hope you buy lottery tickets, in 30+ years of (numerous times per year) sleeping in Interstate recast areas I'm yet to have such an experience.

Personally, I'd take an Interstate rest area, many, many miles from the nearest bus stop or crack dealer, over a Wally World every day of the week.