Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #29

ALL This concern about security raises the question in my mind has anyone on here ever heard of someone being "rousted" while in their RV? I've only heard of the usual accidents and fires. But over the years on radio, TV or in the printed news I've never heard of anyone robbed, assaulted, or what ever in their RV.
After thirty years in the navy, traveling back and forth cross country in all manner of vehicles, I've had the occasional "red alert" when your sense tells you to be carefull but in all cases its come to nothing.
I might add as an African-American navy man married to a light skinned Japanese wife in the sixty's ( 1963 era) I carried my 2nd amendment rights quite vigorously,because in those times in certain parts of this great land you could become a target simply being on the road. In fact one of my buddys, home on leave, and also with a Japanese wife, had to use a "sawed off" 2nd amendment ( :-) ) to convince a few "good old boys" he wasn't to be messed with. All that said however....who here has actually heard of someone "jacked" in their RV? I haven't!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #30

I thank everyone who posted. Had my wife read them all and she feels more confident now about going. Usual fear of the unknown.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #31

In the last 8 years I am aware of 3 incidents
1 A friend who returned to his RV parked outside a repair facility and found it bring robbed. All ended well
2 several years ago after a break out from a prison in the west (Kansas or Colorado) an older couple went missing and were found in their burned out TT. It was associated with one of the felons
3 some years ago a Canadian couple dissapeared and I am not aware of the exact outcome
So in the realm of possibility? Of course. But multiple the millions of full and part time RV as well as vacationers out on the road the probability has to be infinitely remote and not something I loose sleep over. Go have a great time, use common sense, trust your instincts, keep you cell phone charged for emergency's.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mike View Post
ALL This concern about security raises the question in my mind has anyone on here ever heard of someone being "rousted" while in their RV? I've only heard of the usual accidents and fires. But over the years on radio, TV or in the printed news I've never heard of anyone robbed, assaulted, or what ever in their RV.
After thirty years in the navy, traveling back and forth cross country in all manner of vehicles, I've had the occasional "red alert" when your sense tells you to be carefull but in all cases its come to nothing.
I might add as an African-American navy man married to a light skinned Japanese wife in the sixty's ( 1963 era) I carried my 2nd amendment rights quite vigorously,because in those times in certain parts of this great land you could become a target simply being on the road. In fact one of my buddys, home on leave, and also with a Japanese wife, had to use a "sawed off" 2nd amendment ( :-) ) to convince a few "good old boys" he wasn't to be messed with. All that said however....who here has actually heard of someone "jacked" in their RV? I haven't!
This couple were co-workers and I knew them well.
In August 2010, Oklahoma retirees and high school sweethearts Gary and Linda Haas took off in their truck and travel trailer for their annual ..

Both were CCW folks, which didn't help them and might have even hurt their situation. That said, I am an avid 2nd Amender. Just sayin'... it might help, or it might not.

Horrifying Details Of Haas Murders Emerge
Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I do a lot of boondocking/dry camping and have never had a problem.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it's highly unlikely to have a problem with someone in a remote, rural area. The lowlifes are much more likely to be a problem in urban, semi-urban populated areas where there are more likely to be targets. That said, other than the example I gave above, I have not experienced a problem boondocking remotely or overnighting in an urban area.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am pretty comfortable in campgrounds & RV parks. The only incidents we have incurred have been at rest stops on a highway when someone asking for money thinks they can become aggressive, and one time about 1/2 mile off the highway at an Arkansas lake when 3 criminals on a multi-state crime spree just happened to turn down this specific road.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
We have been camping for past 30 year from tenting to now RVing. Never had any problems. Now that we are RVing, not sure about spending night in Walmart parking lot, we have spent nights at truck stops, a little noisy but felt safe
Old 09-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #37

My concern with second amendmenters is where will the projectile end up? Hopefully they have practiced and are better shots than I am.I am fairly sure the walls of my motorhome will not stop much.IF I feel need for a weapon I look for a different location.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #38

We stay primarily in NP, SP, FS & BLM campgrounds & never have had a problem. We glamp with our 2 boxers and our 2nd amendment rights.

As others have said common sense and an awareness of your surroundings is important but don't be paranoid about it!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
My concern with second amendmenters is where will the projectile end up? Hopefully they have practiced and are better shots than I am.I am fairly sure the walls of my motorhome will not stop much.IF I feel need for a weapon I look for a different location.
I have been an NRA member for decades and all of the members I know practice regularly. I took a gun safety class while in the Boy Scouts and I had a gun permit for security work which requires bi-annual re-qualification shoots. I let the permit lapse as I no longer needed it.

Yes, RV walls probably wouldn't stop high-caliber projectiles.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I do a lot of boondocking/dry camping and have never had a problem.

Since no one else commented I have to. Very clever and I'm sure no one bothers you. Gotta get me one!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #41

bridges will be tough
Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
If my wife is shooting the AR, the intruder will end up with 3 in the chest in about a second. If she's shooting the Glock, the intruder will end up having to buy new underwear and I'll have to fix several bullet holes in the floor. But if the intruder had an accomplice trying to break in from under the MH, she will look like a genius!

She may need more practice with the Glock
Closed Thread