Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Security overnight

Hi Everyone,

As a " NEWBEE " How secure is it traveling with an RV. We all see the news where everyone seems to be going Nuts !

Any precautions that You would Suggest ????

Thank You,

chrisgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Mostly common sense.... know your surroundings... we camp mostly state parks and for the first year the front door lock did not even work... no problems... campers are mostly good peoples... carry a big stick or CC... life is to short to worry about the small stuff and most of life is made up of small stuff

2004 National Tropi Cal T370, Cat Power
"SEMPER FI" Married to my best friend for 47 years
We are self employed dog groomers for 43 years
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #3

If you are in a motorhome, leave the keys in the ignition or nearby....then if something really scary happens, Drive away ! You could come back later and retrieve any stuff you left behind ! Blowing loud air horns if you got them would also scare away any would be bad guys...... Probably never happen, so don't spend much time worrying about it. Just trust your gut instinct, and If you don't feel safe somewhere, then leave 😃
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #4
We have never had an issue at a campground.. we have not boondocked at walmart or truckstops.. But we do take our friends Smith and Wesson along anytime we leave town.. We also have a small dog that lets us know if someone is around outside.. she doesn't bark, she just goes on alert with a growl.
2004 Holiday Rambler DST
Jefferson City, Missouri
Navy vet 67/71 Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
HR2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have never had any cause for concern in a campground, rest area or Walmart. One tip I found sensible is to never open the door if someone should knock that you aren't expecting. Instead, open the window and ask what they want from safely inside.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Likely no different than travelling in a car and staying in motels. There is not a white van on every corner.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We have never had any cause for concern in a campground, rest area or Walmart. One tip I found sensible is to never open the door if someone should knock that you aren't expecting. Instead, open the window and ask what they want from safely inside.

Great advice!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
We traveled the country full-timing for more than 16 years - RV parks, public campgrounds, WalMarts, boondocking in the 'wilds'. We've never felt uncomfortable or had issues. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't get paranoid over it. You'll enjoy your trips better!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
DW and I each practice our 2nd amendment rights. We never had any significant problems, but we take precautions. There is wasp & hornet spray in a handy place as well.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In 40+ years of RVing, I've only had a couple of situations where I felt uncomfortable. For the most part, there is security in numbers and fellow campers provide the numbers.

At night, lights are your best friend! Know where your exterior light switches are and turn them on if there is any question of something going on. We had someone outside the motorhome at 1:45 am a few weeks ago and, when the security lights came on they departed in a hurry!

Never open your door unless you are 100% certain who is there. Stay inside the RV and call 911.

Use your horn to attract attention of other campers.

If you carry a firearm...I do...use it only for imminent self-defense. Do not try to intimidate anyone into leaving by showing a firearm; that just lets them know you have one. And, they just might want to try and take it away from you.

Hunker down inside your RV until help arrives as a result of a 911 call, lights coming on, horns blowing, etc..

In my experience, incidents are very few and far between, and usually involve juveniles being stupid rather than real bad guys.
Jim (W7DHC), Diane & Mini Schnauzers, Lizzy & Ellie
2014 Newmar Ventana LE 3436 + 2014 Honda CRV toad
"There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." - Romans 8:1
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
We have traveled with a large breed dog for the last ~12 years. The bull mastiff we had would not have let anyone near my wife (not even me if she thought I was going to hurt her), literally she would have taken a bullet for my wife. We now have 2 retrievers, one of which is very protective, again I don't think anyone would dare to come in the RV.

Even still when we will always park in will lighted areas. If we go outside the RV we will have at least 1 of the large dogs and usually we go out together. We also have a can of Bear Spray handy
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
We usually don't lock the door. Have fun...........
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
We do mostly what everyone here has said except for the practice of our 2nd amendment rights. Just have never felt we needed to.
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #14
We have never come across an uncomfortable situation in our camping. I do trust other campers. We always camp in a commercial RV park or State Parks. I have a CHL and my two buddies Nano and Elsie Pea are always with us just in case.

Ken and Joyce
2017 RAM 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3.21, Tekonsha P3
2014 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 2101DS
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote