Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Was wondering why the floor level is so far off the ground. I think you need to utilize all the room under the floor if your plans stick with such a high center of gravity for the main floor. I understand you have a 80 gallon fresh and two small storage doors. You said you would have a outdoor grill and I'm sure other items involved with traveling "full time".

Can the hot water heater, fuse box, gray tank, inverter, propane heater all be designed to fill that space and give you more storage space in your open concept living areas? Put a 20" x 40" storage door in that lower section for stowing maybe a outdoor chair, table, grill, tools......
Thank you for your feedback. Good observations! The floor is higher because I need to start with a flat floor above the wheel wells. (This might provide some reference: http://i57.tinypic.com/zjwgad.jpg)

While I am up slightly a little higher (not more than say in a motor home) I get the benefit of a small storage basement area (Not really enough for a water heater or furnace.... things I want to have interior access to in the event of a problem) But, I can use it to store tables, chairs, clothes, tools and anything else that would fit in a 10" height.... including retractable stairs)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
My DW and my first 5r had a very similar floor plan, just a queen bed above and in front of couch. We had looked long and hard for the rig as it had to have the large shower. I really like your rig for the modern look and strong sounding bones.
Thanks for the comment. I think a big shower makes a big difference in any RV. I mean it doesn't have to be big enough for 3 people (unless your're lucky), but it has to be comfortable and not feel like you are in an airplane bathroom. I once rented a small motorhome where I had to shower with 1 foot outside the mini-tub. Yet, it had 3 tv's in it. I like openness so I question why RV floor plans close in rooms like bedrooms? (Most hotel rooms don't divide out the bedroom to make the room feel comfortable) I don't have all the interior answers so I just want to make sure I hit the road with a "strong" structure as you imply. With a strong structure in place I can always make interior design changes.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #31

Thanks to all of those that have provided me with feedback on my RV plans. A lot of great questions and you are really making me think. I love this stuff! Please feel free to get tough on me (I won't bite) If you haven't seen my RV plans they are at: MY RV PLANS

After this little peer review period I am going to start contacting cargo trailer makers and custom builders. I need to find out how far the cargo trailer makers can take me in the customization.... like can they put in the windows, do the insulation, install the a/c, etc. The more I can get done at that stage the better. Best regards to all.... Darla
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrvplans View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'm hoping to come up with a good screen-door interface into my idea for a door that opens inward. Somehow I think this will be one of those answers I figure out 3 months on the road.

Here is a link to hidden screen doors for in swinging entry or sliding doors.

ODL Standard Height 80" Retractable Screen Door | Wayfair
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #33

Interesting design. One thought that occurs to me is the extreme height, in relation to the width and length. My worry would be for high CG and the possibility of gusting crosswind maybe tipping it over while being towed.
The huge couch back cusions seem to take up an inordinate amount of space too, and I assume they store on the shelf above when the bed is in use?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
I just wanted to add about grey water dumping. I'm sure you've researched where it's legal but many states consider dumping grey water illegal.
SteveR161 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #35

Just wanted to add my two cents...

first - looks awesome... great renders... great ideas...

the only suggestion I would make... have you thought about adding a v-nose front to it? One of your goals is efficiency... yet, it looks like you are going to be towing a giant wind breaker behind whatever vehicle you have. I would consider adding a v-nose to it... could just be a simple aerodynamic add on... or it could be an enclosed space that could be for more external storage.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #36

Why nog a sliding or pocket door?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
Interesting design. One thought that occurs to me is the extreme height, in relation to the width and length. My worry would be for high CG and the possibility of gusting crosswind maybe tipping it over while being towed.
The huge couch back cusions seem to take up an inordinate amount of space too, and I assume they store on the shelf above when the bed is in use?

Hi and thanks for the feedback. Yeah, at first I was kinda concerned about the whole height thing (even though it's only about a foot higher than most cargo trailers), but they do make them commercially even higher and shorter. See here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4w...it?usp=sharing

As for the couch cushions this came down to some math.... to simulate a sofa a 39" mattress has to be reduced to a width of 21" so you can sit and your feet can still rest on floor... and so the cushions have to be 18" indepth. The only place to store that is UP. So my design calls for a sturdy shelf that will hold the cushions when using it as a bed and when they come down to make a sofa I can store my sleeping comforter and pillows up there. I will have to create strap-in system from wall to wall to secure the cushions from falling out in transit. Another nice feature of the shelf going across in that area is that I can use the shelf as a conduit to install speakers, lights, electrical outlets, etc. underside without having to substitute wiring for the insulation in my exterior walls. Here's how the cushion thing works: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4w...it?usp=sharing
Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
Just wanted to add my two cents...

first - looks awesome... great renders... great ideas...

the only suggestion I would make... have you thought about adding a v-nose front to it? One of your goals is efficiency... yet, it looks like you are going to be towing a giant wind breaker behind whatever vehicle you have. I would consider adding a v-nose to it... could just be a simple aerodynamic add on... or it could be an enclosed space that could be for more external storage.
Thank you so much for your feedback. A V-nose is a great aerodynamic design and I considered it, but it's such an odd shape to design a floor plan around. Also, my thinking was it would be nice to have the tongue area for my battery rack and portable grill.... since the batteries need good ventilation and the grill is not something I want to store inside the trailer or my tow vehicle (smells, bug attraction, grease, etc.) So I am considering this aerodynamic cap as an option (even thought it conflicts with my front roof ladder): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4w...it?usp=sharing

You know I wonder if I could in fact keep the rectangular floor plan and use the V-nose area as separate compartment as you suggest to store the batteries and other things outside of the elements? OH, you got me thinking again. GREAT JOB! Thanks,
Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR161 View Post
I just wanted to add about grey water dumping. I'm sure you've researched where it's legal but many states consider dumping grey water illegal.
Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it. Yeah, I was thinking I would get called out on this one. I did some checking and you're right... some cities say no-go. I know for sure you can't dump black water anywhere but a proper dumping place. As for the grey water I am viewing it's impact on the environment as the same liquid that would run off from soaping up and washing a car on a driveway. Maybe I can use those big floor drains at do-it-yourself car washes. I gotta look in to this. I know it wouldn't do any harm if it was discharged on grass or I really could use it to wash my truck.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
Here is a link to hidden screen doors for in swinging entry or sliding doors.

ODL Standard Height 80" Retractable Screen Door | Wayfair
That's a very interesting idea. I am looking into seeing how something like that gets installed. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Why nog a sliding or pocket door?
Thanks for the comment. I really did want a sliding door. It would be the ultimate in design. In fact all my earlier designs had this feature (see here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4w...it?usp=sharing)

But this turned out to be a bad idea when I discovered doors on tracts (especially one this size) requires level terrain to work properly over the long run. Also, I got concerned over dirt getting in the tract like my home patio door does. And if the thing came off the tract or it needed repair I might have to rip open an interior wall to repair it. Plus I'd need to eat up 6" of wall space on the entry door wall to make a 1.75" door slide in between. Im also not sure how it would have held up constantly exposed to the rumblings of transport.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Love the idea of building your own trailer. Personally, I would probably buy an old RV trailer and gut and build that back up to my personal specs. Because that has the RV guts like holding tanks, furnace, plumbing, 12v and 110v electrical, battery storage, et al. Either would be fun.

Have two questions. Really like the basement storage you have designed, but do not understand what you are planning for access. Not much outside access with the two outside doors? You said you would access from inside but I do not know how you intend to do that.

And the bed, with the large cushions on back to make bed into couch. That store on shelf above bed when not being used for couch. In any space that I use, that shelf above bed would be full of my junk at all times. Anyway, I have built two couches that convert to beds in two different RV's I have renovated. I wish I could do Sketchup to show you. They are a rectangular box around 16" high, and 28" deep. Access to storage from above and two doors below. On top of this box, a piece of plywood deep enough to be pulled out when using as bed. Three 2x2 legs on front of this plywood, one on each side and one in middle. When it is a couch, it is pushed back over top of box. When a bed, it is pulled out. Cushions are 4" thick quality foam, made for bedding. One piece 24" for permanent bottom. And two more 4" foams, with covers made so they will fold up, one of these 4" shorter that the other. The long side goes behind the bottom foam and is the backrest for the couch. It folds out flat when using as bed. Dimension this foam to make bed to the width you want.

Apologize for the length. Sketchup would be so much more efficient. So far, my brain and that CAD have not made friends.

Again, love your designs and will be following your progress.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote