RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
If you are trying to recruit the RV lifestyle I would recommend going somewhere that is beautiful with nice weather that is not consumed by tourists and activities. 2 families in an unfamiliar RV trying to do and see as much as possible while spending little time actually relaxing is not going to do much to convince them IMO.

https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you!

Quote:
I agree with others in that you should look at renting two -smaller Class C rigs (25-29 feet) to get the "agility" you are looking for. Otherwise you are looking at a 37 ft or bigger to give you most or what you are looking for.
As I mentioned in an earlier reply we (husbands) have a paramount goal: offer the best RV experience to our wives (space/privacy within affordable limits). This has to be compounded with two other considerations: what we imagine the American RV experience is (families having fun en route during long transfers) and drivers' dislike for long hauls that your snail speed limits and huge Country size are characteristic for.

We are concerned with the agility and practicality challenge of a large RV and with the driveability challenge. While long class A driveability does not see to be the challenge that we feared, we may need an additional rental minivan once we reach destination to visit restaurnats, etc. or alternatively, some good mountain bikes.

Quote:
You also will find two weeks may not be enough to see all you are planning on doing, especially if traveling between June and September. Check out the various rental companies (Google is your friend) to see what types of RVs are available.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure
We are not planning to see all those Parks. We will choose only two. One per week.

Thank you for the comments that were very helpful and appreciated.

ascanio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmrad View Post
During the summer the National parks are packed. I would recommend early fall. It will be a bit cooler too. Here in the USA most schools start between August and the 1st week of September. So right after that you'll find the National Parks less busy.
Thank you. This is very useful comment. After reading this we are considering rescheduling for mid september.

Quote:
We've been to the National Parks you have listed plus many more. If you have your heart set on at least one of them that you listed I have a couple of suggestions.
1. Do The Grand Canyon, then head up to southern Utah and take in some of those National Parks. Arches National Park, Bryce National Park, and Zion National Park are all very scenic and incredible in their own ways.2. If you want to do Yellowstone National Park, you could also do Teton National Park, and Glacier National Park in Montana.
We decided to keep the motorhome transfers to three:1. From airport to location A
2. From location A to location B
3. From B to airport.
We would welcome recommendations for a two stop plan. Possibly with lots to do around the two stops, A and B. We want to spend about 5 days per Park hoping that we can roam around and have a more laid back rythm and return the next year to do a couple more. Which of those you suggest has more things to do around the location?

Quote:
If I were you I would concentrate on a condensed locale rather than try to go from Yosemite to the Grand Canyon to Yellowstone all within 2 weeks.
We agree. Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
When driving a motorhome it's not really wise to drive it the 70 mph speed limit. I know there are some people that do, but most people are more careful and drive a slower speed when driving a motorhome. There will probably be many people on here that will disagree with that. Remember that you will be traveling around mountainous areas and that will slow you down too. Especially if you are not used to driving a motorhome.
I agree and, besides all your correct comments, we will be driving our little girls with us, so...

Quote:
What ever you choose to do good luck and welcome!!!
Thank you! So far, great and varied advice! Much appreciated!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Use caution if renting from an individual. They may not carry the appropriate insurance, unit maintenance may be less than ideal, they will likely be less able to assist in the event of a mechanical issue.
We were recommended this https://rvshare.com/ website that add insurance and break down assistance. We would appreciate any other similar websites.

Quote:
Don't try to do too much as 2 weeks is a very short time to cover much in the US.
We are planning on two 5 days stops. If you can recommend Parks that have lots to do, in and around them, that would be useful. We plan to concentrate on two locations.

Quote:
If needed, ask for help in campgrounds. RVers are usually eager to assist inexperienced folks. Try to know what you don't know and don't be afraid to ask. Responses to questions and requests for help usually come pretty quick on this site. Use that to your advantage.
The hardest part is to "know what we don't know" exactly because we don't know that the risk or challenge even exists. We would welcome a checklist of things to consider.

Quote:
If schedule if flexible, pick 2-3 national parks and see when you can get reservations that work. Don't try camp in national parks without guaranteed reservations. There are usually commercial RV parks close to national parks. www.reservations.nps.gov. Or call (800)365-3267. For Yosemite call (800)4367275.
Thanks! Yes our schedule is very flexible and this is useful advice and useful numbers, thank you!

Quote:
The RVParky app is very useful. Good luck and enjoy.
Thank you again! I installed the App and will get familiar with it.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
If you are trying to recruit the RV lifestyle I would recommend going somewhere that is beautiful with nice weather that is not consumed by tourists and activities. 2 families in an unfamiliar RV trying to do and see as much as possible while spending little time actually relaxing is not going to do much to convince them IMO.
I agree. Thank you for the advice!

I would appreciate your opinion on which famous Parks have the best offer of activites in and around them so that we can remain in one Park for 5 days or so.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #20

... let me say: WOW!

How much great advice and how many members willing to offer their time/expertise! Thank you to all!

bullet point list of things to consider would be very welcome. We don't even know what we don't know! We don't even know of challenges, risks and considerations to think of so an items list would be nice. We can then copy paste, tick off or add this list as we progress in this thread.

Again, thank you to all!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post
... let me say: WOW!

How much great advice and how many members willing to offer their time/expertise! Thank you to all!

bullet point list of things to consider would be very welcome. We don't even know what we don't know! We don't even know of challenges, risks and considerations to think of so an items list would be nice. We can then copy paste, tick off or add this list as we progress in this thread.

Again, thank you to all!

Check out private motorhome rental . com. The site has rv rentals all over the country. All different tyoes. My wife and I did thus for 6 yrs. Insurance is available from MBA insurance from each renter. Prices are on the site. They will even pick you yp in some cases. We would spent a full day going over all systems and ket you and wife drive the rv until you felt comfortable. We provided everything you needed except food. All paper items plates silver wear. Soaps etc. Usually included 100 miles per day at no extra charge.. We provided a complete note book with all systems advice incase you forgot instructions. Also a phone number for 24 7 questions and complete road service in case it was needed. Feel free to call if you have questions. We no longer do this becuse we are now retired abd use our rv often.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_155159.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	250505
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #22

You have gotten a lot of great advice thus far. Not sure if I am interpreting your desire in style RV correctly but I don’t think you will find what you are describing in a Class A. The “second compartment” will be the living room couch. Some may have a set of bunks in a closet midship but no 2 bedroom Class As available I am aware of aside from some serious custom built units.

A nice class C would be better suited for intimacy as some have a nice queen bed cabover along with mid bunks for the kids and a bedroom in the rear. Good luck and happy travels!
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Check out private motorhome rental . com. The site has rv rentals all over the country. All different tyoes. My wife and I did thus for 6 yrs. Insurance is available from MBA insurance from each renter. Prices are on the site. They will even pick you yp in some cases. We would spent a full day going over all systems and ket you and wife drive the rv until you felt comfortable. We provided everything you needed except food. All paper items plates silver wear. Soaps etc. Usually included 100 miles per day at no extra charge.. We provided a complete note book with all systems advice incase you forgot instructions. Also a phone number for 24 7 questions and complete road service in case it was needed. Feel free to call if you have questions. We no longer do this becuse we are now retired abd use our rv often.Attachment 250505
Thank you for the explanation. It is steering us more towards renting from private owners as large companies do not offer all these accessories/options. You illustrated a good point! We would have to buy all that stuff!

Is the link motorhome rentals . com with an s after rental? The link that you suggested is a page for sale.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
You have gotten a lot of great advice thus far. Not sure if I am interpreting your desire in style RV correctly but I don’t think you will find what you are describing in a Class A. The “second compartment” will be the living room couch. Some may have a set of bunks in a closet midship but no 2 bedroom Class As available I am aware of aside from some serious custom built units.

A nice class C would be better suited for intimacy as some have a nice queen bed cabover along with mid bunks for the kids and a bedroom in the rear. Good luck and happy travels!
Thank you for your advice, we appreciated the comment re the overhang being a sort of separate compartment.

We found a few class A, for rent, with a sliding partition that, effectively, creates two separate sleeping areas.

We even found a class A with two bathrooms (Thor Motor Coach Challenger 37TB) for about 2,300$/week+extras, for mid September, from LA.

The challenge with any class (A or C) with two bathrooms is the sheer size and consequent difficulty of driving, lack of practicality and cost.

If our wives were to agree to a single bathroom then the class C would reduce the total length (overhang). We could hang a curtain in the middle to create two compartments.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can also look to find a commercial campgrounds that have small "Camping Cabins" for the other adults to sleep in. I'm thinking of KOA cabins or similar. You could be together during the drive that way. At night, one of the couples just sleeps in the cabin.https://koa.com/ways-to-stay/camping-cabins/
Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post
Thank you for the explanation. It is steering us more towards renting from private owners as large companies do not offer all these accessories/options. You illustrated a good point! We would have to buy all that stuff!

Is the link motorhome rentals . com with an s after rental? The link that you suggested is a page for sale.

Privatemotorhomerental.com
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Privatemotorhomerental.com
Thank you. There are some good offers...!

Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
You can also look to find a commercial campgrounds that have small "Camping Cabins" for the other adults to sleep in. I'm thinking of KOA cabins or similar. You could be together during the drive that way. At night, one of the couples just sleeps in the cabin.https://koa.com/ways-to-stay/camping-cabins/
That's a great idea! They have one by Grand Canyon and they also allow RVs.

Tags
advice