Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #1

My 03 Dodge is hitting the end of the warranty period and I am trying to find a chip that will improve mileage. I have completed lots of research and am favoring a chip called The Edge EZ. My vehicle is a 2003 Dodge one ton, six speed. The diesel shop tech says to plan on an increase of 2 to 3 MPG.

Any comments or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Happy Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #2

My 03 Dodge is hitting the end of the warranty period and I am trying to find a chip that will improve mileage. I have completed lots of research and am favoring a chip called The Edge EZ. My vehicle is a 2003 Dodge one ton, six speed. The diesel shop tech says to plan on an increase of 2 to 3 MPG.

Any comments or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Happy Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #3

You may want to check out the Turbo Diesel Registry web site. They have been discussing the Edge products for years and you should be able to get information about the Edge products. I owned a 2001 CTD and was going to add the edge box when the warranty was up. I traded the truck and camper for my MH so I never got around to adding it.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:43 AM   #4

Before you buy, make sure you do the math AND read all you can. The first thing that's going to happen, is your exaust gas temps are going to rise. And to keep an eye on them, you'll need to add some gauges. And once you add the gauges, you'll panic and see they are too high, and will need to add a bigger exaust to get them back down. Now your out in the $2k plus range.

$2000 at about a 5mpg savings will take about 4 years to break even. Are you at 100k miles? That's when the Cummins warranty expires, and if you take it in with any of these options, it will end on the spot and you will fork out even more $$$ to get it fixed. I've even heard from several guys who added these things that were refused service by local shops.

I've found that I can start saving $$$ now by never letting the tach go over 2000 rpm's during everyday driving. Of course pulling an rv, it will go over but I still try to keep it at a minimum.

Also, keep your tires inflated, oil changed,air filter changed, truck washed and waxed, and you'll be better ahead.

What gear do you have in the rear? If you've got 4.10's you might consider a swap to 3.50's (that should stir up a stink here).
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:05 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
The only gear ratios available for the AAM axles used in the 2003 Dodge are 3.73 and 4.10.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 AM   #6

The Edge EZ is a good chip. It did increase the MPGs in setting 1. Also will increase the EGTs.

Gauges are a good addition regardless if you add a chip/box. I use my gauges to monitor the health of the system. I have an automatic so I have an EGT, Boost, and Tranny gauge.

Based on diesel prices of $2.45/gal, if you shell out $500 for an Edge EZ and tow 10,100 miles and see the mileage increase I normally see, you will break even on the price of the Edge EZ. You would have to drive 29,400 non-towing miles to break even. Consider a residual value for the Edge EZ on the used market of $250 and you can cut those mileage figures in half.

It is worth it to me just to be able to maintain a good steady speed on hills, etc. whether I ever see a pay back.

Shoot, if we are all worrying about a payback, I don't think we would be buying RVs to begin with.

I do all my own installs, so the prices for gauges, chips, etc. are less than going to a shop.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:48 AM   #7

Here's another Dodge truck place that's free, and has lots of good info.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

Personally, I figured I'd take a good hard look at the 4500 and 5500 series when they come out (which I'm sure will be an expensive way to get more power).

I do wish they had based it on a big cab, though, like the GM 5500...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I had a 2001 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. When we got our Sprinter I thought I was going to have to change the rear end from the 3:54 to a 4:10 so that the truck could pull the tt properly because it was about 3000 lbs heaver than the Mallard we had before. I then found out about the Edge EZ and bought one on eBay. It made a big diference. The truck had a lot more power down in the lower rpm range which helped get the 10,000 lb tt moving. I did add gages and a freer flowing air filter. I did have to watch the exhaust tempature and back off a little at times to keep them under control. I never did change the exhaust system and did not have any trouble keeping the EGT under controll. One thing to rember your trip mpg computer will not be accurate any more, because the Edge EZ does some fooling of the trucks computer to get more power out of the engine. You can only belive your hand calculations for mpg after you put the chip on.

Bill