Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
people in general are getting more rude and stupid on the road. what ever there choice of wheels.

1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA & OSBI Certified firearms instructor, Retired Electrical Engineering Tech
Lifemember is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many of the truckers are like the airline pilots. Airlines make up only 2% of the airplanes flying, Yet many Airline pilots think small planes should not be allowed in "their" airspace. Many of the truckers look on campers as someone that is in their way. Some are great guys but lots of them are what my dad (a lifelong trucker for Terminal Transport) called cowboys. He said they have seen too many "convoy" and Smokey and the bandit movies.

1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #17
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I find that almost everyone is less polite
To true. I will all ways flash or wave when someone makes my life easier, whatever they do I can't control so I don't worry about it.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue Horizon 36' (The Dinosaur Burner)
92TNTRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by stik View Post
NO! Where did this "truckers think they own the highway" stuff come from. In the nine years I have been traveling full time, I have run into very few drivers who were rude or unfriendly. I have on the other hand seen some motor homers do some pretty stupid things.

My experience has been that about 80%-90% of truckers will acknowledge my headlight flashes when they pass me. Two things come to mind for those who don't get acknowledgement of their flashing:
1) The trucker wasn't looking in his mirror when you flashed (assuming daylight conditions),
2) you are flashing your lights and have Daytime Running Lights(DRL) in which case the difference is hardly noticeable.

The 80%-90% I refer to is when I see the trucker actually look in his sideview mirror and I flash my FOG lights at the same time.

The first few trips with my Journey, it seemed like the truckers were, indeed not acknowledging my headlight flashes as much as they used to, then I realized the DRLs were the issue (didn't have 'em on the first two motor homes). Once I started using the fog lights, things got back to the 80-90% area of thanking me.

Just my experience.
This has been my exact experience as well.
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Weather in a semi or the MH, it seems some truckers and other RV drivers will and some won't give a courtesy flash. Some four wheelers give it but most don't. Always been this way, so nothing to stew about. And I've been in the business for forty years. And trucks do own the road as they pay about 95% of the highway use tax. And tax on diesel is about twice that of gas in most states.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
In general I think there is less civility not just on the highway but in general. Holding a door for someone seems to rarely bring a polite thank you and common courtesy seems to be declining all over.

Our highways have become more crowded and less civil which is a very bad combination. Perhaps truckers are less courteous than they used to be, but I'm seeing courtesy in general to be a lost, or at least a losing, art.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Commercial Member
four weeks ago, i had a run in with a rude trucker, more to the point, he ran into me.
traveling north from mesquite nv, up thru the canyon, the hills are long and steep. i was traveling in the right lane, and going 55 mph. thats the speed limit. he was trying to pass me, and didnt have enough power. i had let him pass several times, and passed him several times, mostly on hills. after 10 miles, he finally found a down grade and went roaring by. as he passed, he swerved into my lane, about even with his rear tractor wheels. before i could avoid the trailer, he smashed my rear view mirror. no other damage fortunately.
i caught up to him the next hill and tried to signal him to stop.he looked at me, and after that, he totally ignored me. when he didnt stop, i called 911 and the police found him, and brought him brought back to the pilot truck stop in st george ut.
he said he didnt see me. even after 10 miles of driving beside and behind me.
he was issued 3 tickets. one for improper lane change, one for speeding (he said he was running 65. the speed limit is 55) and one for leaving the scene of an accident.
he was offended i called the police. after all, it was only my mirror. no big deal.
i was very satisfied with the police. great job of catching him with the description i gave them.
the owner of the trucking company called and thanked me for calling the police and apologized for the accident. i told him i thought it was intentional. he finally said he thought the same and would take appropriate action. i dont know the results of that, but i thought it was nice of him to call
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #22

I mostly travel the Canadian highways but find, overall, the truckers acknowledge me when I move over and allow them to pass and I try to blink my high beams when I see them look in the side mirror.

However, there are a lot of stupid drivers out there, and they aren't necessarily truckers ... from the people that'll tailgate for miles (kilometers,) before finally passing, to the ones that have golden opportunities to pass but fail to take them ... until the very last moment. I know these drivers have a hard time seeing around my RV so I intentionally move over, and in many cases, slow down, so that they get a good view and realize they have an opportunity to pass safely (I don't move over if it's unsafe for someone to pass). We have no control over their actions so I'm not concerned about it.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
I agree that people in general have no morals, values or ethics. But I see it in truckers more too. We own/operate a small fleet in NW KS. Bull haulers and "south of the border" drivers are the worst. I had one spanish speaking driver pass me several times on my route then finally again going up hill when another truck came over the top, when the middle of his trailer was even with the cab of my truck, he signals and pulls over, I take the shoulder to avoid an accident, thankfully we were on a road with a shoulder or I'd have lost it in the ditch. That got him a call to the DOT and they inspected him down the road. I hated to do it to another driver, but I'd had enough, that particular company runs junk equipment and unprofessional drivers. When I was still driving, If I had a slower vehicle in front of me I'd just sit back and enjoy the ride. There would be a safe place to pass eventually. But I feel it isn't just truckers...it's the whole younger generation and their parents too! I'm fortunate I've got a great crew, I'm 37 and my drivers and owner/operators range from 50-70. I'd rather have the "old school" guys that have respect and do a good job. I even still hold the door for a lady....most are amazed that a man would do it and are appreciative of it. I try and teach my kids that respect and money are earned....not given. I think they are learing well.

Trent & Jody.
2004 DRV Mobile Suites 33RS3
2016 Ford F350 DRW Lariat 6-pack 4x4 Diesel 14K GVW
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
National RV Owners Club
Isn't this just an example of the way, as a society, we are treating each other? Courtesy used to be a way of life - now because of "Rights", liable law suits and political correctness, it just seems better to try not to interact, in case it should be taken wrong?

Just the other day I posted on another forum how surprised, and pleased, we were when finally finding a place to pull onto the shoulder, two drivers honked their horns as they were able to proceed past us.

We need to set the example and not be discouraged.

ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Thom and I have just made it a point to be polite to everyone if possible.
Like at a restaurant saying "May I please have ... " instead of saying "I want ... " which we hear all the time.
Opening doors for others no matter what. The more we do it the more we hear "Thank you" especially from parents with their hands full of a baby.
We also expect the boys (ages 28 and 26) along with the granddaughter (age 6) to also be polite and we do still correct them all if they "forget". The more we interact with the same people the more we are seeing the politeness expanding out. And most of that is without us forcing it on others.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
i must give truckers the utmost respect and i live in saskatchewan....without them myself fiancee and both of my sons are here thanks to a very caring trucker...he didnt have too but he did.not only did he slow down he put his huge light not a single one on the truck....in our lane there was a deer...had he not done that i always wonder if we
d be here married loving and our kids in university..to that person if he happens to read this ty and to all the others ty...it ws bout 2am..my opinion changed for these guys
wllmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Casting too wide of a net here to say 100%.

I find truck drivers are the ones that are the most willing to let me merge or changes lanes. Unlike car drivers, truck drivers never speed up to block me when I put my turn signal on. I don't think I've ever had a truck driver pass me just to cut me off to make an exit.

As far truck drivers flashing their ICC (marker) lights to acknowledge your flash. I've read more than a few posts here, from truck drivers, saying it's rude to flash high beams as it blinds them temporarily. Their post indicate the appropriate way to communicate they can come back over is to turn low beams off then back on a couple times.

If we were to go to an OTR forum, I bet we would find a thread talking about 100% of RV drivers are rude because they drive 10 mph under the posted speed limit because 100% of us to do that, right???????

Take a look at this thread Why do truckers seem to dislike motorhomers so much?
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
We are in only our third season of RVing, but I have had nothing but positive experiences with the truckers I have encountered. Even when I have done something stupid that I think might return ridicule or rebuke, it hasn't been forthcoming. One guy even chased me down as I was leaving FJ to return my fuel cap that I had left sitting on top of the pump.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote