Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #29

All of my trucks are twins, they are all late model Kenworths white w /purple fenders with Timpte grain trailers striped to match. I won't say we're famous but everyone knows when they see a McCain truck. So our drivers couldn't get away with much. They all know they have an image to uphold and they represent my name whether they are behind the wheel or on personal time. I'm greatful we have a good crew. As I said eariler, I enjoy the "old school" guys. They just have a different ethic than most young guys do. As easy as it sounds, truck driving is a stressful occupation, we're lucky as we run local, and are home at night. Most OTR drivers are away from their families for a month or more at a time. There's [moderator edit] in every occupation, you'll just seem to find more of them behind the wheel. I've had great ones, and poor ones......the poor ones didn't make it with me. Trent

Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My experience with truckers over the years has been very positive.

A lot of them wave as they pass me or I pass them.

Those guys and gals have a tough job and I'm sure they have their bad days just like you and me.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't consider the act of not responding to a headlamp flash as being rude at all. Most rigs today have enough horsepower to make a safe pass with out the assistance of the motorist being passed. Head light flashing isn't necessary to signal the passing truck driver at all. Maybe in the past, but not with the trucks of today.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Did not expect this much response to my rant. Perhaps my observations are in driving mostly in the northeast so far. I do have both a headlight flasher switch and a taillight flasher switch on my coach.

I never heard of the liability issue when I was driving. In fact we were encouraged to do so.

I also did not wish to make anyone mad or defensive. It was just an observation I have made over the last few months. Perhaps when I head south this winter or west next summer I will see things differently.

Perhaps I should not attempt to assist with these drivers. Unfortunately those new drivers others have mentioned do not have the experience you long time drivers have, and these are just the ones that might be helped by these procedures.

Oh well, I hope you all have safe travels and keep the rubber on the road!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #33

I have Daytime driving lights so I can't flash. I just use courtesy and drive.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #34

I don't think its just a trucker issue. I believe society in general is losing its courteous gene. Could that be why many of us travel with RVs? Hanging on to the last generation with manners. Thank God for older folks. You're the best. (David, age 56 next Saturday)
davidjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #35

There all kids who where raised more than likely as bad as their parents were. Courtesy? Don't think most of them knows what the word even means.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #36

I held a class A license for over five years and drove 'Big Rigs' across America for two and a half years (OTR) including two scary winters over the rockies. Prior to my 'truck driving' experiences, I always held 'executive positions' either running my own company or working in management. my long time dream was to find out what being a 'Road Cowboy' was all about and I did: My experiences lead me to believe that the long haulers for the most part were considered: Uneducated, rude, loners, and sometimes 'losers', and somewhat dangerous. After several months, I felt that from the general public, especially from women who had several degrees in higher education like myself, and after a while I ... started to resent (on the road) non truck drivers that got in my way like taking up parking spaces in truck stops, etc. I never thought that would happen, but it did. After being out of 'it' for a few years I can see both sides and try to help whenever possible noting that America is still the Greatest and most tolerant country now available on this small planet of ours.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedarc View Post
I held a class A license for over five years and drove 'Big Rigs' across America for two and a half years including two scary winters over the rockies. Prior to my 'truck driving' experiences, I always held 'executive positions' either running my own company or working in management. my long time dream was to find out what being a 'Road Cowboy' was all about and I did: My experiences lead me to believe that the long haulers for the most part were considered: Uneducated, rude, loners, and sometimes 'losers', and somewhat dangerous. After several months, I felt that from the general public, especially from women who had several degrees in higher education like myself, and after a while I ... started to resent (on the road) non truck drivers that got in my way like taking up parking spaces in truck stops, etc. I never thought that would happen, but it did. After being out of 'it' for a few years I can see both sides and try to help whenever possible noting that America is still the Greatest.
Thanks for sharing your perspective and BTW
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I noticed a considerable drop in cb chatter. I think the new generation of truckers is a completely different breed than the classic American trucker.
We had the CB on one day going down I-840 and all we heard were a few brief conversations in Spanish. An English speaking trucker responded after a few inquiries if we could be heard and understood.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I still hear CB chatter, though much reduced from what it used to be.

I find that in some areas truckers never say "Thank you" for a flash to move over, in others they do.. Might be the angle of the sun for all I know (Can't see the flash).

As for truckers signaling me it's safe to move over....

The trucking business is always in a hurry, TIME really is MONEY. The RV life however is 100% the other way around, it's about taking your time and seeing the things to see... Thus it is very very very unusual for me to pass a semi.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #40

There is no need to flash trucks on the interstate. There is no big hurry to get back over.
Now two lane roads where passing is more difficult due to hills, curves and oncoming traffic, that is when the flash will be appropriate.

I am a former full time driver and i never flash on the four lane. They're big boys they will figure it out.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #41
Commercial Member

i always try to be nice to anything bigger than me.i travel in the west a lot, mostly on two lane roads. i am one of the few that find bull wagons to be ok to drive with. ive never had an incident where they were even hard to get along with. theyve always treated me as any other driver. if im slower than them, i look for a turnout to let them by. i always flash the drivers when they are clear to change lanes, and i dont use my brights to clear them except during the day. thats the worst complaint by drivers is to be cleared with brights at night. truckers are people just like us. except they have somewhere they have to go, and be on time, while some rv's do not. i travel in my work, and drive about 70,000 miles a year, about half in our motorhome. i realize they are working, are on a schedule, and try to give them a break whenever possible.
its only a few that make them all look bad. just about the same number of bad rv drivers make the rest of us look bad. god knows we've all seen both types. if you drive long enough you will eventually run into one of the offenders, or they will run into you. in my opinion, just try not to be the one that gives the wrong impression.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
A funny story and somewhat off topic but the bull hauler thing reminded me. Years ago a few of us loggers were trucking pulp logs in the winter on a long haul throughout the province of BC. We used to run VHF radios instead of CB's. We had a few channels that were used for BS or shootin the breeze. One day I was running alone and scanning these channels when I heard this fellow telling another a story. He said he was traveling along and caught up to a bull hauler who in turn was following a slow moving truck( a company known for dufus drivers) . He said the bull hauler pulled out to pass the slow mover and when he got beside him the trailer leaned over so far it almost touched the slow mover. The other fellow asked what would cause it to lean over like that and the answer was---The bull hauler had a load of sheep on and when they got beside the slow mover they all ran over to that side to see if they could recognize the driver. Sorry.