Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #43

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Did not expect this much response to my rant. Perhaps my observations are in driving mostly in the northeast so far. I do have both a headlight flasher switch and a taillight flasher switch on my coach.

I never heard of the liability issue when I was driving. In fact we were encouraged to do so.

I also did not wish to make anyone mad or defensive. It was just an observation I have made over the last few months. Perhaps when I head south this winter or west next summer I will see things differently.

Perhaps I should not attempt to assist with these drivers. Unfortunately those new drivers others have mentioned do not have the experience you long time drivers have, and these are just the ones that might be helped by these procedures.

Oh well, I hope you all have safe travels and keep the rubber on the road!
A lot of response to your observations (not a rant in my book) because it hits a sore point with many of us highway users. I have to agree with your points, and many others here as well.

My dad was a trucker all of his adult life, and I hauled ass,,,er, I mean gas!, LOL,,,for ARCO in the early days of my working career. Lot of newbie (and IMHO, undertrained) truck drivers out there, with quite a few cowboys in the mix. When I first got licensed I had an implicit trust in truck drivers, but unfortunately don't feel the same now. But, heck, I pretty much don't "trust" any vehicle operators now...drive my rig (car, truck, motorcycle, whatever...) with a careful eye on everyone!

And yes, I still use my turn signals and flash high beams when appropriate!

Shiny side up, rubber side down, and maintain the lane!

Cheers, Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
people in general are getting more rude and stupid on the road. what ever there choice of wheels.
How true.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #45

Rude or not I would still rather run with a group of truckers than be a pack of morons on crotch rockets. They really annoy me zipping in between traffic.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #46

I don't mean to come to come across as being TOO defensive here, but looking at this from a realistic standpoint, I'm thinking there might be some drivers that need to lighten up a little? Or maybe find something else to occupy your mind on the road? Calling somebody rude, when this person's only transgression is pulling back into his lane after a safe pass, seems a little over the top from here. And then, to categorize ALL truck drivers as rude because of this? You have got to be kidding!

I can think of all kinds of scenarios to call a person rude when on the road (lack of consideration by a person merging from an on ramp come to mind here), but this isn't one of them. That's me though, FWIW.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Many of the truckers are like the airline pilots. Airlines make up only 2% of the airplanes flying, Yet many Airline pilots think small planes should not be allowed in "their" airspace. Many of the truckers look on campers as someone that is in their way. Some are great guys but lots of them are what my dad (a lifelong trucker for Terminal Transport) called cowboys. He said they have seen too many "convoy" and Smokey and the bandit movies.
I have to comment on the above post.
I flew for appx 40 years, military cargo and airliners (DC-9s to 747s) and never encountered another airline pilot that thought or expressed the opinion that the smaller planes were cluttering up (what the poster called "their") airspace. On the contrary, many fellow pilots flew small planes, often their own, on their days off. A large percentage of airline pilots started their career flying small planes and worked their way up to the larger airlines.
As many have said, it's inaccurate to generalize about truck drivers (or airline pilots) because while some may be rude, or just having a bad day, quite a large percentage are courteous professionals. I just had an encounter with one that would have taken my front end cap off if I hadn't gotten on the Hadleys when I did. That doesn't mean that I think all truck drivers are lousy drivers, just that one.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't mean to come to come across as being TOO defensive here, but looking at this from a realistic standpoint, I'm thinking there might be some drivers that need to lighten up a little? Or maybe find something else to occupy your mind on the road? Calling somebody rude, when this person's only transgression is pulling back into his lane after a safe pass, seems a little over the top from here. And then, to categorize ALL truck drivers as rude because of this? You have got to be kidding!

I can think of all kinds of scenarios to call a person rude when on the road (lack of consideration by a person merging from an on ramp come to mind here), but this isn't one of them. That's me though, FWIW.
I agree!!!!

Heres another truckers perspective ( I'm a trucker

As a trucker I understand that most trucks will give the courtesy flash and therefore I look for it and respond. The courtesy flash is less frequent with any other vehicles therefore I don't normally look for it. However if I see a flash while passing I will always respond with a thankyou. If you don't get your little thankyou flash it is 99.99 percent of the time because we don't see it.

We don't hate Rvers in fact most truckers have a high respect for Rvers because we understand that you are not in a hurry therefore you are not weaving in and out and cutting us off like most cars do you are more like us.... ( big heavy and slow

And Cbs are in most trucks and still used when we need them or get bored

10 4 good buddies!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzly View Post
There is no need to flash trucks on the interstate. There is no big hurry to get back over.
Now two lane roads where passing is more difficult due to hills, curves and oncoming traffic, that is when the flash will be appropriate.

I am a former full time driver and i never flash on the four lane. They're big boys they will figure it out.
This is the answer I have received the most when I posed the question to OTR drivers while fueling at the truck pumps. The majority also would prefer that we not flash our high beams. If the overtaking OTR driver needs to get over quickly, I will turn my headlights on and off with the switch on the dash.

The vehicles/drivers that seem to bother them the most are the small cars that are quickly jumping from lane to lane on the interstates, particularly the right most lane.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #50
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Since learning to take it easy in the slow lane in the motorhome, I have a fresh perspective on automobile drivers. It's interesting sitting up there and seeing how people really drive. There are a lot of unsafe drivers on the road, and some of the risks I've seen taken cannot be justified by any means.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #51

We just returned from a trip from Southern Oregon to Las Vegas and back. Went down I-5, crossed at Bakersfield, Barstow up I15. We returned via US 95. I find it interesting that most truckers were going 60 mph or slower. That seems much much slower than a few years ago. Only two vehicles flashed headlights to indicate I had cleared them and it was "safe" to change back to the slow lane. Both were pick up trucks pulling utility trailers. I did flash my fog lights when passed by trucks and most responded with a tail light blink. The few that didn't may not have seen the fog light flashes. I don't think the truckers are rude and as mentioned above there are a different class of truckers now a days. Just like there are a different group of RV'ers now. Just my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #52

Freightliner Owners Club
We just got back from a trip on I-90 in Washington State and I found it most interesting that when I flashed my courtesy lights to let the trucker know it was OK to move back into the lane in front of me most all of them flashed back when they were fully in the lane. But, when I passed a truck very rarely would they flash me letting me know it was safe for me to get back into the lane. I was pulling a boat which made us 64 feet long. It must have been the liability issue?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The majority also would prefer that we not flash our high beams
I can guarantee you that most truckers really don't care. Honestly contrary to some opinions here, we truckers have lives, eat food and have families like everyone else...... truckers and Rvers are the most courtesy and safe drivers on the road, until we park our rigs and get into our cars. Then we become rude dangerous drivers
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
I have to comment on the above post.
I flew for appx 40 years, military cargo and airliners (DC-9s to 747s) and never encountered another airline pilot that thought or expressed the opinion that the smaller planes were cluttering up (what the poster called "their") airspace. On the contrary, many fellow pilots flew small planes, often their own, on their days off. A large percentage of airline pilots started their career flying small planes and worked their way up to the larger airlines.
As many have said, it's inaccurate to generalize about truck drivers (or airline pilots) because while some may be rude, or just having a bad day, quite a large percentage are courteous professionals. I just had an encounter with one that would have taken my front end cap off if I hadn't gotten on the Hadleys when I did. That doesn't mean that I think all truck drivers are lousy drivers, just that one.
You make it sound like I said all pilots and truck drivers were this way. If you look at my post, I said many. In a world of thousands and thousands of both, I said many. Many would be a few hundred. I agree most drivers are good guys, but being around truck drivers my whole life,(as I said my father was a driver for TT), Some hated campers. As for airline pilots, again most are good guys, but there are some who think they own the skies. I came to this conclusion after three years at Southern Aero and thirty two years at Delta air lines.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #55

I agree with Stik, a lot of times we as truck drivers do not see the flash. Bottom line is many new truckers are from other countries and even when you talk to them or see them interact at a truck stop, they are rude. Now I am not alienating people from other countries, it is just a fact. I drive gas, so in my area "North East" you can imagine how often I have contact with Foreigners who own or work at the stations and they are just rude, no hello, no how are you. I see them approach a car, not say a word, take a credit card, dispense the gas ("Yes in my state, one of the few that you can't dispense your own gas") and hand the credit card back, No Thank You, conversation or Come again.
How often do you put on your signal to change lanes and the person to your side, WELL behind you will speed up not to let you in, your almost forced to move over while turning on your signal.
It's just the way it is now a days, I don't let it bother me, I just assume the worst and if they are courteous them it's icing on the cake.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
As a trucker I have another pet peeve. Anti semitic racist truck drivers who hide behind their CB Mic's and spew there garbage for all to here. I can only imagine how drivers from other ethnic groups feel when they here it. I call them cowards. Then I flash my lights so they can change lanes