Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Just being the devil's advocate here. You want her to build stamina so she can walk so you buy a Segway so she can ride??? just sayin......

They are pretty neat machines. A couple had two of them when we were in Big Thompson Canyon Colorado last year and offered to let me try, but don't figure I would be coordinated enough to make it work.
Not sure why I feel compelled to responding to this,,,
But three major surgeries and long bout of chemo in the last 2 1/2 years has taken away her outdoor life she knew before. She excercises to the point of exhaustion 7 days a week in her desire to get some STAMINA back. I just want for her to be able to get out and enjoy again. Not many years ago she was a long distance charity walker.
So to sum up,
JUST SAYIN.......takes all kinds!

thanks to the rest of the responders for some very good information and having to put up with this.
beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations!

Saw you on Segwaychat. Congrats on your wife's new Segway. She'll soon wonder how she ever got along without it.
We just bought another "new to us" i2 for DH since his has about 6,000 miles on it. His is still going strong but we found one that has been custom painted with flames
Long Beach, Washington is one of the greatest places to take a Segway. Maybe we'll run into you sometime.

Marilyn
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've always thought that Segways were way cool, but pretty expensive. Especially when comparing to a plain electric bike. Both have 2 wheels and are electric, the bike has the wheels inline and the Segway side by side. I'm wondering if the Segway owners out there could tell us if there are advantages that the Segway has over an electric bike, other than the "cool" factor?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I've always thought that Segways were way cool, but pretty expensive. Especially when comparing to a plain electric bike. Both have 2 wheels and are electric, the bike has the wheels inline and the Segway side by side. I'm wondering if the Segway owners out there could tell us if there are advantages that the Segway has over an electric bike, other than the "cool" factor?
It's designed to keep your upright on its own, so you can't fall over .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It's designed to keep your upright on its own, so you can't fall over .
The operable word there is designed.

Wife & I were first introduced to Segways at Disney World's 10 minute intro/ride. As I have mobility problems the concept fascinated me as a take-along with the RV & we decided to take an extended tour/familiarization ride at the Amelia Island FL Segway dealers close to our stick house.

The people of Amelia Island Segway are super folks; very knowledgeable & skilled instructors. We did the schoolhouse work, fitted up with helmets & then went to the skills course before the tour. No problems, they really are rather easy to ride once you get the hang of it.

So off on the tour we go, and they are a blast to ride on streets. The sensation of speed is really fun.

Part of the tour is a stop at the edge of the marsh for viewing, photos etc. I decided I didn't want to walk to the marsh so I was just maneuvering in one spot when the next thing I know I am on the ground with the wind knocked out of me, and my helmet split in two from the impact.

No harm done (well maybe to my pride), but my point in this is that they are not risk-free and that a fall from one can do MAJOR damage to ones pieces-parts. Any worse than from a scooter? Probably not, although the head-to-ground distance on a scooter is about half that of a Segway.

Oh yes, we opted not to purchase one!

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Segway

I've been using a Segway as my commuter vehicle for about 5 years now, year round. Rain and snow don't make any difference but stay off the ice! I've taken about 6 spills because of operator error (hitting something I didn't see, going off a curb too fast, etc.). They are extremely maneuverable, can turn in place, back up, take up only a little more space that I do, fits through doors, into elevators, store isles, etc. You're about 8-inches taller on Segway so you have good visibility, can see over cars and bushes. They cost half a penny a mile to run, don't require a license or insurance, and the only maintenance is plugging them in at night and checking the air in the tires. They are non-polluting and super quiet.

But the real reason to ride one is that they are sooo much fun.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #21

Wow , I'm doing a Segway tour at Disney's Fort Wilderness on 5/4 with my son- inlaw. Really looking forward to it!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Use of Segways and other Disability Vehicles

Interesting developments for disabled mobility transportation -- March 15, 2011 is the effective date for the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title II Regulations (28 CFR 35.151) for states and local governments that include requirements for: the use of wheelchairs, manually-powered mobility aids and other powerdriven mobility devices, to include golf carts and Segways. The complete regulation is lengthy and wordy, typical of a government publication and can be viewed on the Revised ADA Regulations Implementing Title II and Title III site.

"Wheelchairs and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices. The rule adopts a two-tiered approach to mobility devices, drawing distinctions between wheelchairs and "other power-driven mobility devices." "Other power-driven mobility devices" include a range of devices not designed for individuals with mobility impairments, such as the Segway® PT, but which are often used by individuals with disabilities as their mobility device of choice. Wheelchairs (and other devices designed for use by people with mobility impairments) must be permitted in all areas open to pedestrian use. "Other power-driven mobility devices" must be permitted to be used unless the covered entity can demonstrate that such use would fundamentally alter its programs, services, or activities, create a direct threat, or create a safety hazard. The rule also lists factors to consider in making this determination. This approach accommodates both the legitimate business interest in the safe operation of a facility and the growing use of the Segway® PT as a mobility device by returning veterans and others who are using the Segway® PT as their mobility aid of choice."

OPDMDs include golf carts and other battery/gas mobility devices and limits the extent of the agency or representative to question the individuals disability.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ChiefJohn,

Interesting piece about the use of mobility vehicles encouraged by ADA. My hubby has a very bad back and is unable to walk any distance at all. He is reluctant to get a scooter type wheelchair, but would love to have a Segway. He proabably would use it more because in his mind, he would look "less handicapped" on a Segway.

Our community has an ordinance which bans Segways from the roads and/or sidewalks, so even though the office is only 3 miles from home, we cannot use Segways to commute.

We have been in a few campgrounds and to many NASCAR events where they frown on any mobility aid except a standard electric wheelchair. We even asked specifically about using a Segway because of his handicap and their answer was no because...1. It would constitute a danger to the rider and other guests because of the uneven terrain...and 2. If they made an exception for one person, "pretty soon everyone would want to be riding them around...".

We have since steered clear of those narrow minded campgrounds that have that mindset, but are still frequenting NASCAR events and asking for rides from the security and hospitality golf-carts when needed. It would sure bee easier if they could just see it our way....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #24

While at a campground near Boone, NC we met a camper who had a Segway. It was neat the way they rode around the campground on it. He let me try it but I must be an oaf because I couldn't ride it very well. I guess it takes practice. If you have the money for one and a place to carry it, I'd say get one.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Faith,
Great news for your hubby then -- local and city governments can no longer ban the use of the mobility devices.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife wanted an electric vehicle to use in the campgrounds. The Segway was $6,000. The electric bike was $1,000...She likes the bike. Joe
Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
check out what honda has built:
YouTube - U3-X Personal Mobility Prototype
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Yike Bike

Instead of Segway, check out the Yike Bike. Very neat and 1/2 the price!
charliep3 is offline   Reply With Quote