Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Anyone that starts a price negotiation on the phone is not serious.
No offense, but I don't agree with this.
When I bought my motorhome, I had a figure I was willing to spend.
I also did what I thought was a reasonable amount of research to try and know what units were worth.
Before I was willing to fly north to see my unit, I negotiated on the price.
I offered what I thought the unit was worth and was only willing to spend so much for it.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #16

Don, I too am trying to sell mine to get another, but not desperate. It takes some time and just the right person to see your ad. I will not advertise on CL. Tried to sell a bike on there once and was bombarded with scam. I haven't advertised on here yet, but you might want to try RVT.com. Relatively inexpensive and lots of exposure. I have had a few inquiries, but nothing serious. Good luck...

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I also did what I thought was a reasonable amount of research to try and know what units were worth.
I offered what I thought the unit was worth and was only willing to spend so much for it.
There is a difference between "Im thinking of offering $xx,xxx for the rig" versus... "whats the lowest you will go???" from someone that hasnt even seen the coach/item for sale.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #18

Quote:
The gentleman sounded sincere in the questions he asked and asked me for my rock bottom prices which I provided.
I was always taught, and it has served me well, that he who states a price first when negotiating loses. If someone asked me that question I would say "I don't know, what is your offer?". We recently sold a motorhome in a private sale. We advertised in Craig's List and the local newspaper. Yes, there were scams, easily ignored, and a lot of Lookie Lous. There were also a lot of callers prepared to "educate" me that I was asking too much (we advertised and sold at near dealer retail). Many even took it personal when I told them I did not care what "experts" or NADA said, my price was my price. Selling an rv yourself is not for the faint of heart. I am not certain we would willingly take on the hassle again.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT
I would understand this position if you were buying NEW & from a professional Dealer and had also previewed the model locally....but I can't for the life of me understand you could conduct serious price negotiations with an amateur private seller....over the phone.

Over the phone you have no idea (other than the biased opinion of the seller) about the condition of the rig, does everything work, what is that funny smell... those stains in the carpet...why does it pull the the right when I apply the brakes...why is the battery compartment totally eaten away...etc. etc...etc???? In other words, there are a lot of things (not to mention a through examination of Service Records) to consider & examine "before" you can make a serious offer.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I negotiated and sold my last RV over the phone for my asking price. The guy sent his cousin over to look at it and sent me a certified check in advance two days later and picked it up 2 months later.

I negotiated and sold my boat over the cell phone from my RV 2 days away from home. The guy wired a $1000 by Western Union and picked the at up 3 days later. Paid me all in cash. $25,000 Bank questioned me!!! LOL
Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I would understand this position if you were buying NEW & from a professional Dealer and had also previewed the model locally....but I can't for the life of me understand you could conduct serious price negotiations with an amateur private seller....over the phone.

Over the phone you have no idea (other than the biased opinion of the seller) about the condition of the rig, does everything work, what is that funny smell... those stains in the carpet...why does it pull the the right when I apply the brakes...why is the battery compartment totally eaten away...etc. etc...etc???? In other words, there are a lot of things (not to mention a through examination of Service Records) to consider & examine "before" you can make a serious offer.
Hmmmm ... I have seriously been looking for about 5 months now ... and I have also been in sales myself for over 35 years ... AND I have negotiated - and purchased - many items over the phone. Certainly the condition of the unit must be verified, but whether talking over the phone or shopping on eBay, the statement of condition gives a starting point, to be verified by inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
...Anyone that starts a price negotiation on the phone is not serious. Whether Im prepared to go $100 or $10,000 less... thats for the buyer to determine.
NOT true. You might not give your "best" price over the phone, but unless you indicate that you are negotiable - I would consider YOU a "not serious" seller - and politely move on.

Quote:
...I also agree with the post about negotiating over the phone...if your price is not good enough to entice someone to come and see the unit...you've misjudged....and if someone isn't interested enough to come & view the unit before haggling over price...they are not really interested...

ALSO NOT TRUE! Just as several have posted, final sale CAN be completed all by phone. I have personally looked at HUNDREDS of ads, reviews, and manufacturers sites - and I now know EXACTLY what I want - so the ads I actually CALL are very few. If I can't get a good feel from the Seller over the phone, that he's honest, practical and negotiable ... I won't even consider going to look. Like another poster said, there are just too many other ads out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
...I was always taught, and it has served me well, that he who states a price first when negotiating loses. If someone asked me that question I would say "I don't know, what is your offer?"...
ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!! Sorry, but that is a [moderator edit] game that has lost many sales. As a buyer, I have hung up or walked away from sellers who won't state an opening price, whether on a coach, a car, or just a garage sale item.

You are the Seller. You have a good idea what you are willing to accept. As a buyer, I don't want to pay any more than necessary, so after you have played the "you say .." "No, you say..." game back and forth, the buyer comes out with a frustrated number WAAAAY lower than they are prepared to pay. You, as a seller, laugh, or are offended, and after several more silly rounds, you the seller FINALLY say " I need at least ..." and if the buyer is still there, you finally begin true negotiations.

In actual fact, that is a misquote. It is NOT "...he who states a price first when negotiating loses...". It is AFTER the sales pitch and negotiations, when you, the seller, finally state the final price you want - THEN you wait for the buyers response. Not showing weakness or insecurity by getting nervous and talking down your own asking price. It is THEN that "...he who speaks first loses..."

And Sellers ... PLEASE PLEASE! ... light up those pictures! It doesn't help to have 50 pics when they are so dark you can't really see details. Plug the coach in, turn on ALL the lights, pull up ALL the shades. Go get some kind of utility light and a looooong extension cord, and have a friend behind you shining the light over your shoulder onto the area you are filming. The right shot of a kitchen or lounge area could be what sells your coach.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #22

Hey Kathryn....last time I was an Internet seller I had lots of people who just wanted to send me money, but were strangely disinterested in meeting me, examining or inspecting the item for sale, etc.

Now that I know serious buyers like to purchase "sight unseen"....I sure hope I didn't offend all those "serious" buyers from Nigeria!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Hey Kathryn....last time I was an Internet seller I had lots of people who just wanted to send me money, but were strangely disinterested in meeting me, examining or inspecting the item for sale, etc.

Now that I know serious buyers like to purchase "sight unseen"....I sure hope I didn't offend all those "serious" buyers from Nigeria!
I never said PURCHASE "sight unseen", and your attempt to mock my serious post reflects not on me, but on yourself.

At the very beginning of my post I clearly stated
Quote:
...Certainly the condition of the unit must be verified, but whether talking over the phone or shopping on eBay, the statement of condition gives a starting point, to be verified by inspection...

I said a serious buyer may want to DISCUSS and NEGOTIATE before traveling to see. You, the seller, are also screening your callers. A serious buyer will intelligently discuss your unit and the market in general, and ask informed questions. And at some point in the discussions, the buyer should indicate that an inspection will be made prior to final sale, whether by the buyer, a professional inspection service, or some other friend or relative who will personally examine the unit, meet you, and give the buyer their opinion.

The whole point of this conversation was to encourage sellers not to write off a caller simply because they want to negotiate over the phone before traveling to see the unit.

Kathryn

Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread is beginning to get a little personal.
Please remember this ( and all ) part of our rules.
Quote:
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand; above all be nice. We encourage everyone to participate in and enjoy the Community while at the same time adhering to these rules:.
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
This thread is beginning to get a little personal.
Please remember this ( and all ) part of our rules.

Thanks
Cliff
LOL! Sorry - will do.

Kathryn

Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #26

What's wrong with a phone offer subject to inspection , seller can always say no thanks .
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr
What's wrong with a phone offer subject to inspection , seller can always say no thanks .
Because it is offensive.....why is it offensive? Because you are asking the seller to lower his starting point (asking price) before you even get started! It' a form of regressive bargaining and consider by most to be in bad-faith.

In effect, no matter how politely you word it, you are telling the seller he is uneducated, out of line, misinformed ,etc. about the market and the value of his unit and ..........without even seeing the unit.....you know better. Most people (sellers) don't react well to this sort of buyer arrogance. On the other hand, there is a benefit, since if enough people phone a seller and want to negotiate on the "asking" price, (pre-inspection, pre-due-diligence, per-establishing buyer credibility) this is a pretty clear indication that you, as the seller, have misread the market and have way over priced your rig.

Therefore, if you feel it is your responsibility to educate sellers with your vast knowledge and superior market insight.....probably not a bad approach. However, it may not lead to a very enjoyable or successful "buying" experience, since as you say...."the seller can always say no thanks".
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #28

YUP LOTS of pictures answers most questions, and avoids lots of dead-end calls - and wasted time! And when I say pictures, I mean lots of closeup and detailed pics - not vague shots taken from such a distance as to not clearly display finer details - both good, AND bad! That saves lots of incrimination by disgruntled shoppers who then feel mislead and lied to...

We bought our older '88 Winnie off of CL - and have been well satisfied with it - yup - lots of liars and crooks out there - but that's equally true of local paper want ads, EBay, AND CL - it's up to both RVer buyers and sellers to be fully informed as to what they are buying - or selling, in terms of realistic condition and value, just like any other item...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote