Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Asking a seller during a phone call if he's willing to come down on price indicates you think he's uneducated? With all due respect, I'm not sure I buy that one. I always ask that question. No one's ever acted offended. I either get told yes, or no. In my view, the question is nothing more than a way to see how "firm" the seller is. When we bought our Chaparral, first thing I asked the guy is "are you willing to come down on price?" He wasn't the least bit offended, and I got my answer: "sorry, no, my price is firm". One reason I asked was his ad didn't indicate "firm" or "obo"...

We found the boat to be in pristine condition, and his firm price was well below book value. So we bought it. Everyone happy, win win...

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Asking a seller during a phone call if he's willing to come down on price indicates you think he's uneducated? With all due respect, I'm not sure I buy that one. I always ask that question. No one's ever acted offended. I either get told yes, or no. In my view, the question is nothing more than a way to see how "firm" the seller is. When we bought our Chaparral, first thing I asked the guy is "are you willing to come down on price?" He wasn't the least bit offended, and I got my answer: "sorry, no, my price is firm". One reason I asked was his ad didn't indicate "firm" or "obo"...

We found the boat to be in pristine condition, and his firm price was well below book value. So we bought it. Everyone happy, win win...
So the unit was clean, well below book... yet you wanted to "drop the price"... Did you not feel completely and utterly embarrased?
You would be the buyer (no matter how qualified) I would hang up on if you asked me "to come down on price" without looking.

I negotiate face to face. Real estate, vehicles, firearms... whatever.
Just sold a small collection of vintage motorcycles to a passerby who was checking out my neighbors garage sale. Guy came over... saw what I had and suddenly was talking on his phone wanting to make a move.
Cleared out 7 bikes as a set... which was the terms of my sale. Must take it all. Now not a trace of them left... I wont miss them and the buyer got a nice collection of vintage 70s & 80s bikes/spares.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #31

Are you a member of the Winnebago / Itasca club?. I bet their website has a for sale section, and current owners looking for a different or newer RV might be more likely to buy the same brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm running adds for my MH on here, and 2 other sites. Haven't gotten a "real" call yet. LOL

I've gotten 4 calls from folks that want to broker it.

2 of them wanted to offer me less than whole sale just to take it off my hands. At least they were straight forward on this.

The other 2 were offering me a $300-$400 "deal" to market my MH. Both seemed attached to Specialty Network. Both tried to hard sell me on their virtues. Here is a BBB link to Specialty Network...

Specialty Network Business Review in Omaha, NE - Nebraska, South Dakota and Southwest Iowa BBB

Use this information as you wish.
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234

Because it is offensive.....why is it offensive? Because you are asking the seller to lower his starting point (asking price) before you even get started! It' a form of regressive bargaining and consider by most to be in bad-faith.

In effect, no matter how politely you word it, you are telling the seller he is uneducated, out of line, misinformed ,etc. about the market and the value of his unit and ..........without even seeing the unit.....you know better. Most people (sellers) don't react well to this sort of buyer arrogance. On the other hand, there is a benefit, since if enough people phone a seller and want to negotiate on the "asking" price, (pre-inspection, pre-due-diligence, per-establishing buyer credibility) this is a pretty clear indication that you, as the seller, have misread the market and have way over priced your rig.

Therefore, if you feel it is your responsibility to educate sellers with your vast knowledge and superior market insight.....probably not a bad approach. However, it may not lead to a very enjoyable or successful "buying" experience, since as you say...."the seller can always say no thanks".
I must have had a tougher life because it takes a lot more than a phone offer to offend me
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Are you a member of the Winnebago / Itasca club?. I bet their website has a for sale section, and current owners looking for a different or newer RV might be more likely to buy the same brand.
I am and hadn't thought about it...THANKS!!!

I finally broke down and did a Craigslist ad.

You should see a couple of the responses I have gotten! Had to delete them before Sandee saw them. LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck, Sky Boss. I hope you can sell the rig for a fair price. If we ever buy another, we'll probably trade in and take the loss, lol. It'll be worth it to me to avoid the aggravation.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #35

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a buyer, my biggest complaint was that the picture on Craiglslist, eBay etc. often was from when the seller first obtained the trailer, and was not an accurate picture of the current condition, to the point that I would ask if it was a recent picture. Some had just recycled the pic that was available when they bought it.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
Good luck, Sky Boss. I hope you can sell the rig for a fair price. If we ever buy another, we'll probably trade in and take the loss, lol. It'll be worth it to me to avoid the aggravation.
You do get a tax break on the value of the trade. That eases the loss somewhat.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
So the unit was clean, well below book... yet you wanted to "drop the price"... Did you not feel completely and utterly embarrased?
You would be the buyer (no matter how qualified) I would hang up on if you asked me "to come down on price" without looking.
You'd hang up on me if I asked if your terms were negotiable without looking at your stuff first? If you want me to part with my hard earned cash, don't I have a right to know if your price is firm or negotiable before I drive 2 hours to see what you're selling? It's a simple yes or no question, is it really THAT offensive or difficult to answer?

I've seen more than one "immaculate" item turn out to be a turd that was anything but, so I could care less who thinks it's offensive, it's a fair and honest question, and with all due respect, I'll be damned if I'll ever be embarrassed to ask it.

And oddly enough, as a buyer I've ALWAYS asked that question, and as a seller I've always BEEN asked that question. Not once ever has any offense been taken. I find it amusing really, that anyone would...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
In IL, if I buy from a dealer (in or out of IL), I pay 6.25% tax on difference. If I buy from an individual, it will be a flat 1500$ on purchase price since trade in is not allowed. Whole sale for my MH is about $65K which is a realistic trade in value. That means if I can sell for anything over $69K I make money over a trade in tax advantage. Yes, I could get more on trade in at a non-discount dealer but then the purchase price of the next MH is also inflated so under normal circumstances it is close to a wash. Now, I do make out a bit better if my net cost for a trade in with dealer is less than $24K but I don't think that will be the case but if it does, then I would be fine with a trade in then. Of course, if it is a close difference and I like the dealership, that does have some intrinsic value.

Some of the high volume, discount dealers are on my search list. They are not close and thus trade in with them both subjects me to low trade in value and long distance.

I do have the advantage of having a clear title.

My strategic goal is this:

1. Sell it for an acceptable price above the tax spread before new whole sale values come out in January and they drop. (An attempt to sell high)

2. Once I have cash in hand, obtain per-approval for enough financing to support the purchase price range of MHs on our wish list.

3. keep an eye open for our next candidates with the thought that waiting until January will help me get a better bargain as whole sale prices drop. This should affect both private and discount dealer prices to some extent. (The attempt to buy low)

I think this is a fairly reasonable strategic plan. Of course, this is subject to factors I can't control or perhaps a deal I can't refuse.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
You'd hang up on me if I asked if your terms were negotiable without looking at your stuff first? If you want me to part with my hard earned cash, don't I have a right to know if your price is firm or negotiable before I drive 2 hours to see what you're selling? It's a simple yes or no question, is it really THAT offensive or difficult to answer?

No if you asked if I was negotiable on the price??... thats a very reasonable question.
If you asked me "Whats the lowest youll take???...first and foremost"... you wouldnt have time to hear the click of my phone hanging up on you.
I dont get offended. Its business... but not funny business.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
No if you asked if I was negotiable on the price??... thats a very reasonable question.
If you asked me "Whats the lowest youll take???...first and foremost"... you wouldnt have time to hear the click of my phone hanging up on you.
I dont get offended. Its business... but not funny business.
When we bought our older Winnie MH off CL, it was advertised $2K higher than I figured to pay - so on my first phone call to the seller, I openly told him that while his MH was in the age and size range I was looking for, his asking price was higher than I was planning to pay for what he was selling - and told him that to avoid EITHER of us wasting our time (he was 3 hours away from where we live), could he tell me what his rock-bottom price was. He understood completely, GAVE me his bottom price, and after obtaining additional pictures and info on the MH, we scheduled a trip to go inspect what he was selling. We obviously liked what we saw, and bought it.

We had previously traveled shorter distances to look at older MH's in the class we were looking for - and quickly learned that MOST 20+ year old RV's tend to be poorly maintained, severely owner-re engineered, and neglected, to the point MOST of them I would not take for FREE! So no, I don't feel a bit ashamed to do some preliminary price discussion BEFORE what is often a long, time consuming and expensive trip to look at yet another disappointment...

NOR, am I offended when someone does the same with something *I* am selling!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
When we bought our older Winnie MH off CL, it was advertised $2K higher than I figured to pay - so on my first phone call to the seller, I openly told him that while his MH was in the age and size range I was looking for, his asking price was higher than I was planning to pay for what he was selling - and told him that to avoid EITHER of us wasting our time (he was 3 hours away from where we live), could he tell me what his rock-bottom price was. He understood completely, GAVE me his bottom price, and after obtaining additional pictures and info on the MH, we scheduled a trip to go inspect what he was selling. We obviously liked what we saw, and bought it....
In my original post I said I was asked this question and gave him a bottom line price. Part of my reason was that the gentleman was 15 hours away. Now, perhaps I was set up because maybe he was looking how to price his own (pure conjecture) or for some other self serving reason. I think I would not do that for someone within a reasonable distance. Obviously, the most important thing for me is to get someone INSIDE my MH and amaze them with what they could be an owner of.

Would I say I am "negotiable"? Certainly.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

Cliff
Some states (WA is one) do give you that "break" but not all.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote