Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #43
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Some states (WA is one) do give you that "break" but not all.
True. I was referring to my Fl. ( my State )

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #44

Maybe private Sellers should list their RV as....

"Well...... my asking price is 100k, but of course this is just a silly number I picked outta thin air to get the process started .....

But.... I'll really take 80K (20% discount) if you just phone and ask for it...

Then of course if you drive over 100 miles to examine it, I'll give you another 10% off....so my rock bottom price is 72k....

However.... if during your examination of the unit you find some faults, I'll deduct for them....so let's say another 10% if you'll take it "as is"...say 65k....

What's that .....you'll give me 55k take it or leave it."

Skyboss....since it appears that all "serious buyers" insist on playing the timeshare sales game, I'd suggest your start your "asking" price about 50% higher than what you want!

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #45

I think many sellers are underwater or simply refuse to accept that RV values have taken a beating in the last few years . Sellers that bought 4+ years ago refuse to accept the current reality .
The ones that start with an honest description and a realistic price will still sell their unit , the others continue to appear in sale adds month after month
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #46
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I have my RV for sale now. No solid offers yet but lots of interest. That's encouraging as I believe it's in the right price range, just not the right buyer yet. I don't have to sell it. I'm not desperate. I know that our rig stands out above others cause I've been looking at what's out there. I don't have a problem negotiating on the phone with someone who is realistic about a price offer. What DOES bug me is the guy who try's to knock my price down because he thinks he can get the same RV for 1/2 the price down south. Not even close! A few have almost left my yard wearing a size 10 that have said it to my face. I don't care for the people who use those kind of tactics to get you to reduce your price. Tire kickers! Don't have time for it!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #47

I think a lot of the blame for the pricing game goes back to the dealers. They have ridiculous markups on new units so it makes it hard to buy and sell on the used market. I know of a nice class A a dealer bought for 75K and listed on their website for 139K. Then started marking it down. Not sure what it sold for but am sure it was well over 75K. Heck go price a new one...I looked at a new 5er and they went from 85K to 55K without any hard negotiations.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch
I have my RV for sale now. No solid offers yet but lots of interest. That's encouraging as I believe it's in the right price range, just not the right buyer yet. I don't have to sell it. I'm not desperate. I know that our rig stands out above others cause I've been looking at what's out there. I don't have a problem negotiating on the phone with someone who is realistic about a price offer. What DOES bug me is the guy who try's to knock my price down because he thinks he can get the same RV for 1/2 the price down south. Not even close! A few have almost left my yard wearing a size 10 that have said it to my face. I don't care for the people who use those kind of tactics to get you to reduce your price. Tire kickers! Don't have time for it!
So my question to them would be, "then why are you here? Have a nice trip."
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #49
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
So my question to them would be, "then why are you here? Have a nice trip."
That's basically what I tell them.

This is where I would rather qualify them on the phone as to what their needs are and what they are willing to pay, rather than waste my time meeting and going through a thorough explanation of the RV's attributes only to be insulted at the end.

I liken it to culling the herd.

There are both sides to this but a quick hash on the phone works for me. Maybe not for all.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
That's basically what I tell them.

This is where I would rather qualify them on the phone as to what their needs are and what they are willing to pay, rather than waste my time meeting and going through a thorough explanation of the RV's attributes only to be insulted at the end.

I liken to culling the herd.
I think there is a great deal of merit in "qualifying" a buyer. I know that good sales people do that naturally so they don't waste time. I'm trying to find a way to do that as naturally as I can since I am NOT a sales person.

So, how do some of you qualify a potential buyer?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #51
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I have sold enough stuff in my days that I can get a sense from a caller just by the questions they start to ask. If someone comes across like a "know it all", that's the first indication I'm going to have a problem and sense where it's going to go. If the caller asks genuine questions, I never have a problem explaining and giving them the time. Sooner or later they come around to price and if I have done my job in enticing them with what I have, I have no problem in telling them my bottom line. You can tell by their reaction. The rest is up to the purchaser. If your price is fair, you can be confident in your negotiation. If you are uneducated about your units value, are overpriced and come across arrogant, that's unfair to the purchaser and it's likely you are destined to have your unit for a long time or at least till reality sets in.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I have sold enough stuff in my days that I can get a sense from a caller just by the questions they start to ask. ...
What kind of questions do you think are those that tell you a caller is serious? What questions do you think tell you otherwise?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #53
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
It may not necessarily be just their questions, but their comments to what I have said or to what my ad says. Sometimes it's the attitude over the phone more than anything.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

So, how do some of you qualify a potential buyer?
This question brings the discussion full circle. In my opinion if..... In an initial phone call....
the potential buyer is more interested in negotiating price..... before they have inspected the unit & established themselves as a qualified buyer...then they are more likely as not to be kicking tires rather than actually looking to purchase.

BTW...asking if the price is negotiable is a fair & reasonable question during an initial phone call...as are any number of other buying questions. However, telling you your price is too high (pre-inspection) by making a low ball "offer" is just playing games.

Regardless, private selling means you have to be prepared to put up with tire kickers and often rude/arrogant buyers who are looking for every opportunity to "educate" you. The upside is that once you've experienced the "selling" side you will be a much better " buyer".
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
...Regardless, private selling means you have to be prepared to put up with tire kickers and often rude/arrogant buyers who are looking for every opportunity to "educate" you. ...
And the Craigslist scams, offers of marriage, special connections and other amazing things.

Actually, that has been mildly amusing.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
This question brings the discussion full circle. In my opinion if..... In an initial phone call....the potential buyer is more interested in negotiating price..... before they have inspected the unit & established themselves as a qualified buyer...then they are more likely as not to be kicking tires rather than actually looking to purchase. ...
I think that is the biggest lesson I am learning. THANKS!