Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Can someone get a better price on there MH if they were trading in or upgrading your MH through the dealership?

Happy RVing, James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimooo View Post
Can someone get a better price on there MH if they were trading in or upgrading your MH through the dealership?

Happy RVing, James
I think the answer is yes AND no. LOL

Now, by that I mean you may get a "better" trade in but will you get a "better" purchase price? Of course, in most states there will be the sales tax advantage of a trade in so that is important. Where I think selling my MH outright can work better is on a few fronts. Of course, that assumes I get a fair amount in comparison to a trade in and tax...

1. I will have cash on hand to move quickly on a targeted purchase.
2. I have more options at a discount dealer who would really cut me at the knees on a trade in but happy for a clean cash deal.
3. I have cash on hand for a private sale/purchase.

Now, if one is working through the same dealer they made the first purchase from, there may be some credit for being a repeat customer. I know my salesperson is pitching that point plus he knows my MH and would be glad to have it back. The problem for me is that I'm in an area with out any large dealerships that carry Newmar and the dealers with Newmars on the lot don't have many of them.

In the long run, I think I may be able to make a good move if I can sell for a good price and purchase from a private person. Thus, I need the cash first.

Hope that helps.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey thanks sky-boss, for that quick response, I knew that when I bought this MH. That it would not be a very good investment the way that the current market is, I bought it for pleasure and you can't put a price on that.

I still am thinking about upgrading to DP and more room while the market is soft for these so called non-essential items.

I realize that it is almost impossible not to be upside down on these MH, due to the over inflated market on these MH.

Happy RVing, James
Old 10-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #74

Quote:

Happy RVing, James
I'm going to weigh in on this. Motorhome dealers are like car dealers, only with less volume and much larger profit margins. Will you get a better dealer on a new MH if you're trading in an old one? Honestly, not really. They may take less for the new motorhome if you're trading VS. going in and buying....BUT only because they're offsetting that loss by giving you less for your trade-in. So it balances out in their favor. That's how business works, and their in the business of making money....and I'm not saying that in a negative way, it just is what it is.

Case in point:
Our last MH was traded into a dealer by its original owner on a new model. We called them, chatted with the owner (whom we knew) and asked to buy it wholesale, because it hadn't been reconditioned yet. It was flawless inside, worked A1, but just needed a few touch ups to look A1 (faded stripes, rusty screws, normal stuff that many people would leave alone). We made a deal and had our first Class A.

After using it for a season, and very minimal elbow grease along the way, we had it good as new......but were ready for something bigger. I listed that motorhome, and sold it for $18k more than what I paid the dealer for it, despite now being a yr older, and with more miles. And rest assured, the dealer made some cash off it too vs. what he gave the guy who traded it in.

So, do you still want to trade your motorhome in??
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Jon, thanks for those wise words, I would like to maybe upgrade to a DP larger that ihave now. I don't know if it would better to trade in with the same salesman that sold it to me or try the jungle approach by selling it on my own.

There has to be an easier way to upgrade MH for another used one without being taken to the cleaners by unscrupulous salespersons .

Happy RVing, James
Old 10-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #76

Quote:
Hey Jon, thanks for those wise words, I would like to maybe upgrade to a DP larger that ihave now. I don't know if it would better to trade in with the same salesman that sold it to me or try the jungle approach by selling it on my own.

There has to be an easier way to upgrade MH for another used one without being taken to the cleaners by unscrupulous salespersons .

Happy RVing, James
I'm glad I could help! . Developing a relationship with your salesmen is important, but his hands are tied as to what his boss will let him give you...and average wholesale value is what his boss has to go by. I obviously don't know you're dealer, but in general, if trading-in is the route you're going, then there's no way around taking a considerable loss vs. selling privately. With that said, my local Newmar dealer will sell a customer's old-unit on consignment if the customer wishes (providing it's in good condition). When it sells, the dealership gets a cut, and the customer gets more vs. trade in value. No strings, but the dealer merely offers the space to park it, the exposure to traffic. Any reconditioning is the customer's responsibility. Surprisingly enough, not many people opt for that, as they just want their old coach gone....outta sight, outta mind.

If your dealer won't let you do that, or recommend someone who will, my advice would be to take an afternoon, research the asking prices of comparable units, then see what your dealer will give you for a trade. If the gap is large (like $15k), but you want to sell quickly, split it down the middle. Remember if you can make any profit on your own, that's good.... even if it's a quick $3k. I would never throw away that kind of money in a trash can, so giving it to a dealer is no different
Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks,Jon for that info, you know that private sales with individuals that have a MH for sale are not interested in trade in's just to sell . And all these lease brokers with there rules and policies are not the way to go to upgrade your MH either.

I think that I might hold off a while longer on a trade-in , perhaps the MH market will be strong again soon, I don't feel the need to take a huge loss right now.

Thanks, James
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #78

Wink

Quote:
Thanks,Jon for that info, you know that private sales with individuals that have a MH for sale are not interested in trade in's just to sell . And all these lease brokers with there rules and policies are not the way to go to upgrade your MH either.

I think that I might hold off a while longer on a trade-in , perhaps the MH market will be strong again soon, I don't feel the need to take a huge loss right now.

Thanks, James
Exactly! maybe hold onto it until things pick up, but if you need to sell, don't be afraid to sell privately. It won't eat up that much of your time, if you don't let it. The issue with units older than 7yrs is that buyers often can't get a loan (and who has $50k+ lying around, right??), BUT with private 3rd party leasing companies, personal lines of credit, and all these other avenues available to buyers, if your MH is desirable and the asking price is a deal....no worries, chances are there will be a qualified buyer out there for it.

If the MH is clean, your description detailed, and your price fair... it'll sell itself
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #79
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Come On Everyone

Come on everyone. These shots at each other are getting out of hand and not enjoyable to read. I'm no mod and by no means am I perfect but even I see this as getting way to personal.

Just my opinion.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #80
Community Administrator

I posted the other day about this thread getting personal. Lets stay on topic or close the thread. Your choice.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Overall, this has been a great read.
Thanks all.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I believe that as long as the phone is ringing, your price and unit is attractive. The more calls the the better chance of getting it sold. I would be sure that the $$ is in the bank, and the new owner has it insured. I found that even a cashiers check can be a problem. I would check with your bank to be sure your protected. A friend sold his to a buyer he knew.The buyer didn't get ins,and the owner had dropped his. The mh burned total loss. Original owner still making payments!! Rare but worth mentioning FYI.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #83
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Overall, this has been a great read.
Thanks all.
I agree! Some really good input!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
I believe that as long as the phone is ringing, your price and unit is attractive. The more calls the the better chance of getting it sold. ...
That is the conundrum I am running into. I've read lots of articles on setting the right price, I think I have followed them as best I can. I have only received 1 (one) call. LOL I think that call was someone scoping out the competition. I guess that my plan is to slowly lower my price until I start getting some real calls.

HOWEVER...much to Sandee's amusement (Thank goodness she has a great sense of humor)...I have gotten LOTS of pictures of pretty women that want to know if I have a "firm" price. Thank you Craiglist! SERIOUSLY?! MY ADVISE!!! If you advertise with an email, get a toss away one to use. I also have a Google Voice number that I advertised with.

ANYWAY!!!

What I think I am finding is that whole sale prices are really driving the used MH market. NADA retail prices are a joke. Trade-ins are based on whole sale and so, I am thinking that buyers know that and can drive a harder deal for themselves. BTW, when I say trade-in is based on whole sale, when you call some dealerships (especially discount ones like Texas RV Dealer, Used RVs for sale, motorhome sales, new RVs) you will not even get that much.

Some other factors addressed here, other places and my own guesses:

1. End of season not a good time to sell. It will only get worse when the snow flies.

2. I'm not a one stop operation. Unless the buyer has cash on hand, it is a hurdle that dealerships can get the buyer over much easier than I can. I also suspect cash buyers are very savvy and know that is something they can use to bargain hard with. I know that is something I would use if I was buying from another individual.

3. It's a buyer's market. As long as manufacturers can put new units in the market place at ridiculously established MSRP that never hold up, I think the used market will suffer from buyers who expect that dynamic to hold true for used MHs.

4. I'm not exactly in the center of MH markets nor do I have dealerships of any size in my area that might help draw folks into my neck of the world.

I won't try to hide the fact that I'm frustrated. Yes, I'm not known for my patience but I'm surprised I haven't even gotten any "kick the tire" calls. When I look at some good, high quality DPs that are only a couple years older and just a few thousand dollars more I have to have some serious doubts about what is the "fair price" that will get it done.

I want to thank all participants in this thread. It has gotten testy at times but I think that as may hits this thread has gotten means it is something that many of us find extremely important. I'm not rolling in cash so setting up an strategy to exit my current MH and get into my next one is not a trivial matter.

Again...thanks to ALL for their input.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote