Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Selling an RV - It is a Jungle out there.

I'm running adds for my MH on here, and 2 other sites. Haven't gotten a "real" call yet. LOL

I've gotten 4 calls from folks that want to broker it.

2 of them wanted to offer me less than whole sale just to take it off my hands. At least they were straight forward on this.

The other 2 were offering me a $300-$400 "deal" to market my MH. Both seemed attached to Specialty Network. Both tried to hard sell me on their virtues. Here is a BBB link to Specialty Network...

Specialty Network Business Review in Omaha, NE - Nebraska, South Dakota and Southwest Iowa BBB

Use this information as you wish.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

I took my father's class C 2009 Sunseeker to a local dealer three weeks ago, they called me yesterday and said they have already sold it! They took a trade in which I can't do. I also took my 2003 American Dream to them last year and they sold it in 7 weeks, also took in a trade. Set your price at a realistic deal and you can sell it. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had to laugh a little bit...

Just after I started this thread, I got a REAL call.

OH...I don't know if it will pan out but it was nice to get one.

I think my asking prices and OBO in the advertisement is fair and tells someone I am not asking some crazy price. (I saw one add for my model asking over $100K!) The gentleman sounded sincere in the questions he asked and asked me for my rock bottom prices which I provided. I assume he is doing some homework and will get back to me later.

This has been a real learning lesson on supply and demand. LOL While it might sell better come spring, I can save a chunk of change selling it now and dropping my insurance along with storage fees.

I'm still open to a trade in with a dealership if they don't low ball me. I guess my ideal outcome is that I get my rock bottom price or better (well above trade in and broker offers) and then cash deal with someone else looking for a good deal but not asking for some stupid high price.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
wont hurt to get a dealer to give you a "low ball" number. I never give my best price over the phone and simply indicate "Im negotiable". Anyone that starts a price negotiation on the phone is not serious. Whether Im prepared to go $100 or $10,000 less... thats for the buyer to determine.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

RV ad

I assume you have it listed on Craigslist. Make sure you use ALOT of pictures! I used to sell cars on CL andsold most of them within 48 hours. I always included at least 25 pictures. This can be done if your ad copy is written in HTML. Or simply post a link to any of the online photo sites where you have a ton of pictures. Trust me it will help it to sell.

Make sure you get a shot from every angle. In my recent search for an RV I skipped the ads with no pictures. I had a specific floor plan in mind and many ads did not have pictures of the entire floor plan. I needed a couch and dinette. On many ads I could not tell if it had either. I simply skipped those ads. There are just too many out there to call on the ones that don't provide enough information. Don't assume you can put in a minimum amount of information and discuss the rest when a buyer calls - they won't call - they will simply move on to the next ad. And one more thing - include mileage and generator hours. Many people don't.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
I assume you have it listed on Craigslist. Make sure you use ALOT of pictures! I used to sell cars on CL andsold most of them within 48 hours. I always included at least 25 pictures. This can be done if your ad copy is written in HTML. Or simply post a link to any of the online photo sites where you have a ton of pictures. Trust me it will help it to sell...
I am trying to avoid sounding like I am advertising my MH in this thread so I can say NO to Craigslist but I am in the classified ads here and 2 other larger RV sales sites. I have lots of pictures and more available on request but your idea about using an online photo site for even more pictures is GREAT! Hadn't thought of that.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

You should give CL a try. It's free and buyers will be local. There is a chance you will get a scam email but just avaoid anything that's not face-to-face and you should be fine.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
As for negotiating on the phone, it can be done. I sold our last boat over the phone-- guy calls from his car, he was doing business about a mile from the harbor where our 17' Bayliner was sitting (which was 27 miles from ME at the time)- he had some phone numbers from for sale ad's, mine was one of them. I told him he was only a couple of minutes away and welcome to look it over. 10 minutes later he asked if I'd take $1000 less than my advertised price, I said sure, and he wrote a check for $9000 and gave it to a friend at the harbor. I got the check the next day, his bank happily cashed it and he picked the boat up about 3 days later at my home. Easiest thing I ever sold!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

Sky Boss, I hope you are not leaving this site. You have been a big help to lot's of people !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

I am trying to avoid sounding like I am advertising my MH in this thread so I can say NO to Craigslist but I am in the classified ads here and 2 other larger RV sales sites. I have lots of pictures and more available on request but your idea about using an online photo site for even more pictures is GREAT! Hadn't thought of that.
You might like to take a look at zenfolio.com This is an online site for photographers and for about $25 you are able to create a web address & has a very nice follow the numbers style approach to organizing your photo album of RV pictures.

I also agree with the post about negotiating over the phone...if your price is not good enough to entice someone to come and see the unit...you've misjudged....and if someone isn't interested enough to come & view the unit before haggling over price...they are not really interested.

Good luck
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Sky Boss, I hope you are not leaving this site. You have been a big help to lot's of people !!
NOPE...and thanks for the compliment!

Just setting up to go to the "next step" of DP land.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #12

It took me 5 months to sell my exceptional 2005 Allegro Bus. I GOOGLED free RV listings and put it on 5-6 free sites. Toward the end of the 5 months, I paid to put it on a popular sales site and in 3 weeks never got 1 call. I finally sold it to a person that I had a running dialog with for several months. My point is---it takes a lot of patience and effort to sell a high dollar motorhome in this economy. And----paying for an advertisement is no assurance of more calls. Honesty, patience, a fair/competitive price, lots of pictures, complete maintenance records, and a top notch unit gives you the best shot at selling a coach. Good luck!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
photobucket is a free photo site the does the HTML and message board conversion.
Upload, then copy the HTML into your CL or other ad.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #14

Just throwing this out there, for those interested.

The key to selling any motorhome besides a competitive price?? quality pics....captivating description.....and timing. I've sold a few, so this much I know.

Pics - google pics of cars, now do the same thing, but with the motorhome. Clean it, shine up the tires, take cool shots at different angles, like 3/4 shots in nice lighting. Interior pics should have minimal nick-knacks and personal possessions in plain view. Hide the blankets, frilly place mats, teddy bear collection etc

Description - Keep it charming, yet professional. Stick to what the coach has for options, rather than how much fun it's been....but don't forget to end with that part.

Timing - Motorhomes are hot sellers 2 times of the year (at least here): Before the season starts, and when the season's about to end, and the ppl want to go south for the winter (preferably in a Motorhome)

a quick video walk around is always a good selling feature, for those who are you-tube savvy. That'll save you from some of the "shoppers" or "tire kickers".
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote