Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Selling Canadian registered RV in the USA

Hi there. Firstly sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere and I missed it or if this is the wrong forum for my question.

We purchased our current rig in the USA a # of years ago and then imported it to Canada.
I am curious if there are any implications should we decide to take it back to the USA and then sell it there.
As it was built there, has all the stickers, title, I am thinking it should be pretty straight forward other than any purchaser wanting to check for liens.

Any idea's or experience on this topic would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
Globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would recommend making a call to a Customs Broker. Their advice over the phone should be free and they are paid to be knowledgeable about these issues. I am a Licensed Broker but have been out of the business just long enough that I don't feel comfortable providing to much further info. I think you will be ok assuming you still have all your purchase records. If you "formally" exported your rig to Canada e.g., declaring to Canadian customs your intent to import your rig permanently (not just a vacation), then I believe you will have to "formally" import back into the U.S., but should just be a paperwork situation. Do call a broker for your own peace of mind.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Hi there. Firstly sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere and I missed it or if this is the wrong forum for my question.

We purchased our current rig in the USA a # of years ago and then imported it to Canada.
I am curious if there are any implications should we decide to take it back to the USA and then sell it there.
As it was built there, has all the stickers, title, I am thinking it should be pretty straight forward other than any purchaser wanting to check for liens.

Any idea's or experience on this topic would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
Should not be a big deal but the best thing would be to contact US Customs and I'm sure you will get the best information from them. Do you still have a copy of the original US Title?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, good advice. I also just learned there is a form that I need to complete which needs to be signed off by the Customs & Border Protection. I can do that at any crossing close to me. I would just need to show the DOT stickers etc that prove the unit was compliant at one point in the USA. Without that form the new owner could not register the unit. Appreciate your reply and advice to call in!!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I will do that. Yes I have the original title and as it was stamped as being exported I assume that is why I need the crossing to execute the form indicating it is eligible for import back to the USA. As we have had the unit for well more than one year there should be no duty issues, just paperwork if we decide to proceed but I will call in first to confirm.
Have a great day!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, good advice. I also just learned there is a form that I need to complete which needs to be signed off by the Customs & Border Protection. I can do that at any crossing close to me. I would just need to show the DOT stickers etc that prove the unit was compliant at one point in the USA. Without that form the new owner could not register the unit. Appreciate your reply and advice to call in!!
Always best to get it from the Horses Mouth so to speak.
I wonder if this will be a trend resulting from the change in our dollar. I see loads of pick up trucks going south these days. Saw the same thing happen years ago when our dollar was low.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Agreed on going to the source, being Customs.
Not sure on any trends but that makes sense. For us we are considering setting up trailers for both our summer and winter destinations and will liquidate the rig once we have it all figured out including what our winter destination will become home.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Agreed on going to the source, being Customs.
Not sure on any trends but that makes sense. For us we are considering setting up trailers for both our summer and winter destinations and will liquidate the rig once we have it all figured out including what our winter destination will become home.
We live on Osoyoos which is next to the border so see the traffic going south.

Speaking of winter destinations, Osoyoos is a winter destination for half of MB. We have two in our building that moved here permanent to get away from the MB winters.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I now have the information I was looking for.
Take care,