Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Selling Motor Home

While we are not in a big hurry to sell our motor home, we have been somewhat surprised that after listing it 2 weeks ago that we have had only one inquiry. There has been well over 1000 views and we had thought with what we are leaving with the motor home it would have attracted a quick sale. Especially for someone just starting out that has nothing. We listed it for sale on this web site and on TRVN and will probably list it with RV Trader in another week or so. Maybe we are asking to much, but considering what all will go with it, we think we are in the ballpark. And of course like anything else the price is negotiable.
I guess we are just venting our frustration somewhat. We know that it does take time, we just thought it would generate more inquiries than it has.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #2

Very much different than selling a car. I sold some MH's that went well over a year. Sold a Class "A" 3 years ago and the buyer emailed me and wanted to know if I would like to buy it back. He only put 500 miles on it and isn't able to use it anymore. I'm in my second MH since then.. It takes the right person to find your ad, but it may take a while. Good luck......
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to consider selling it through a consignment dealer. PPL RV in Houston, TX seems to move a lot of motorhomes. A call to them ( 800-755-4775) may give you some ideas.

Good luck with your sale!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #4

Sold mine on EBay a year ago. Only took a couple of months. Guy from Maryland came to Tennessee to pick it up. Worked great using Escrow.com. You have to advertise it far and wide. Also, your price has to be reasonable.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #5

It took about 5 months for ours to sell on RV Trader. We had NO calls for weeks then bumped the ad by upgrading it and lowered the price by about $4500. Once we did that, we began having all sorts of contacts and it sold $500 less than the asking price within a couple of weeks.

We also had it on Craigslist and got a lot of inquires through CL (along with scammer calls) but it sold via RV Trader to a couple about 100 miles from us.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #6

It's also worth pointing out that a lot of views are folks who want to know something about that type of MH not because they are shopping for yours.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
...we had thought with what we are leaving with the motor home it would have attracted a quick sale. Especially for someone just starting out that has nothing.
Kind of like a house that has a pool you installed. Plan on getting about $.10 on the dollar for what you invested in the stuff you're leaving. Many people want to outfit their new MH with what They want to put into it.

Also, look at NADA Low Retail price if yours is pristine. Otherwise, or higher miles, plan on less than that number. Sorry, if that's not close to asking price, but 1000 views indicates a lot of lookers, but put off by price, pictures, or description.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

Don't get too discouraged. Selling at near $100,000 for a 32' gas , 4 year motorhome will be a challenge. Price it right and it will sale. Ebay has always worked for me, also consider Craig's list.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend RV Trader. They have a great site that is easy to navigate and you can post lots of photos. I would take the deal where they let you run the ad until it sells.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #10

We really appreciate all the reply's. We are going to let it stay the way it is for a couple of more weeks and then will put it on RV Trader. As far as price goes, we did look at others that are for sale and checked the NADA price. Actually, for what we have we are just a little high. But how many really sell at the asking price? We expect some negotiation, it just goes with the territory when selling something used. So any reasonable offer would be considered. We did think that by selling the tow dolly with the motor home would be a plus, but if someone wanted the motor home without the tow dolly that is an option we are open to. We know that it takes time, and the right person to see it.
Again, thanks for all the replies and we are looking forward to selling the motor home and moving on doing some other things we want to do while we still can.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
For me I wantd to see pictures and went to the site to lookie and No Pictures
No sale for me, I came to the conclusion somethings wrong, That's why no Pictures. JMO
Honestly I am looking too.
Tim
Old 09-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #12

When we were doing our looking prior to buying we really liked the Tiffin 34TGA, we found a used 2012 with 6,000 miles on it. It was in beautiful condition and the guy had bought every warranty you could think of, the whole thing bumper to bumper (tires and windshield included) was warranted until 2017. He originally had it on the Rv Trader for $95,000. We went and looked at it, drove it, and everything was great but thought the price was a little high. He called me a month later and dropped the price to $ 80,000, but we had already purchased ours. I looked at yours on TRVN and it looks really nice, but I think it may be priced a little high. IMHO I don't think people really care so much about all the extras(alot of people want to buy their own new stuff) as much as they do about price, size and mileage. Good luck with your sale, and maybe it's just a bad time of year with school starting and the Holidays approaching.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #13

Normal logic is to charge a high price and offer to negotiate, but I think you are driving your buyers away with your $95k price. People see that and see what the NADA data is and they look but they don't pull the trigger. High retail, what a dealer might ask for a perfect 2011 Allegro is $85K. That's a dealer, he has a lot full of RVs, salesmen, service, reputation, advertising, financing, etc. and even then he'll easily discount 20% or more to get it off his lot.

I'd also lose your list of upgrades/repairs, it sounds as if your Tiffin was a lemon. You can never expect to get all of your expenses back from the past three years (even oil changes, $25 antennas, 3 year old tire covers?). So I'd lose the list except maybe major parts like the tow bar as a sweetner for your RV vs others, no charge.

I think the market for used RVs is still a little soft. You see your RV as it was the day you bought it, buyers will see it as a 3 year old Tiffen, low mileage, well cared for, but still a 2011 Tiffen and they will compare it to all the 2011 Tiffens out there.

There are people out there who will fall in love with yours, you just need to find them.
Good Luck
Old 09-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #14

Just put it on RV Trader, so maybe that will generate a little activity.
Closed Thread