RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Selling on Craig’s List

We have our MH up for sell but so far no luck on RVTrader, RTV, IRV2, or Thor forum, so I guess it’s time to try Craig’s List (which I’m not looking forward to). So my question is for those that have sold their MH on Craigs List, when they want to look at the MH, do they come to the house or do I meet them at a public place like a Wal-Mart? What precautions have you used while selling on Craig’s List. I know the basic of no checks, to include bank checks (unless I’m at their bank with them and the teller hands me the certified check). But what about how to keeps scammers from coming to our house to case the joint. For those that are going to ask while we are selling, we want to upgrade to a 5th wheel and go full time
Thanks.

Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I recently sold our Jayco on CL. I did list it on RV Trader with close to 700 views but not one response. Put it on CL and within one week had a inquire and a sale. At the time of them inquiring about it we did not know who they were but we were within 5 miles of each other and ended up knowing people they knew so did not have problems with scammers or others. I do know they are out there but it looks as though you have already thought about those options. I would never let the unit go without CASH in my hand no matter if you had to wait a few days to cash a check or make sure the Money Order or Cashiers Check was good. If they are in a hurry to make the buy then that would be a red flag. I also on other vehicle sales have waited till a weekday so the title can be transferred and go with them to the courthouse to do that. If they are not willing to do that I would not give them the title until they can. If you can meet them at a central location and maybe have someone else with you that probably would not be a bad idea. A CASH down payment would also be a good thing if it was a weekend deal.

jaymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #3

I've sold a lot on CL including boats & MHs. Boats & MHs were in storage and usually met them there. Many first looks were just a walk thru and ask questions.
A did show MH s few times at home when it was there doing some work on it.
Most / all of the scammers were txt or emails that they wanted it, will send check to hold it for pickup... etc.
I was absolutely surprised when selling a toad/ tow pig on iRV2 Classifieds. First a txt from 1500 mi away asking questions... figured it as another scammer. When I said call me the party called and bottom line after negotiations, sending more photos and saying bank wire transfer only way to deal buyer said he wanted it, would wire transfer $ to my bank and arrange for a shipper to pick it up... which went off without any problems... you just never know but be aware if you sense any of the typical signs of a scam.
I have sold a boat, MH and several vehicles on CL
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on where you live there are companies the sell your MH on consignment. I bought a MH from BuyRVsellRV.com they were great.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

Just use your do diligent and be sure of who you are dealing with CL, like mentioned above. Quick sales are a Red flag.

Scott
Old 04-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #6

Had 6 things I wanted to sell, after our "downsize". Including a $40k race car. Listed them on Ebay, Facebook marketplace, etc. got the usual scammers on the car, but sold nothing.

Listed them all on my local CraigsList, and they were all gone in two weeks, including the car. 3 of the 5, were gone the next day.

On the car, I downloaded and printed the DMV paperwork, and made a copy of the buyer's DL, and got cash. CraigsList is the bomb.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
we bought our mh last may from cl. visited with the seller on the phone and drove 250 miles a few days later to see it. Had a great visit with the owner, they spent an hour showing us there baby. We discussed price and made the deal. I wired the money to his acct and we left for home. Craigslist has always worked for me buying and selling but you have to be smart because there are scammers everywhere.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #8

I have used CL for many sells/buys including vehicles and even a rental house. Just use common sense and if something don't seem right don't proceed. Always insist on meeting the buyer/seller in person and deal in cash as much as possible or a check at the bank teller counter w/both parties present.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #9

Sold 3 cars, a boat and a house on Craigslist over the years and the only problem was with the boat. I accepted a deposit from a buyer who didn't have a letter of credit in hand, I ended up waiting for him to fail twice at securing a loan. 3 weeks into the deal I gave him back his deposit and sold the boat a few days later to another buyer.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #10

I've bought and sold cars, boats, a lawn tractor, and a TT on Craig's list. I figure the ones who sight unseen want to send a check and arrange pickup are scammers. There are those who want to negotiate and talk you down without ever seeing the item. I tell them to bring cash, see the item and then we can talk. There are also those who want you to buy a carfax. I tell them they are welcome to run one and if they buy the vehicle I will reimburse them for it.
If they want to come look at the item, I make an appointment with them at a mutually convenient time. With the TT, it was at the storage yard, with other things at my home. Before they even come, I tell that that the sale is cash only and that we will count cash and mark every bill with a pen that detects counterfeit. I will sign over the title at the DMV where they can register it at the same time.
So far, every sale has gone well.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #11

Last year I sold my Class C motorhome in 30 minutes on Craigslist, which I realize is not the norm! The person drove 60 minutes with a $1000 cash deposit and the balance (in cash) two days later. I do agree that if someone says I have to complete the deal this weekend then say, sorry!

If they want to bring a certified check tell them that the transaction must be done during the day at your bank to make sure they don’t have a forged check.

If you can, when they come to look at it have a good friend or neighbor with you. There is safety in numbers!

Finally, try Facebook Marketplace as you can see who the individual is prior to them coming out. You can also see how long they have been on Facebook (watch out for the profile created two weeks ago!)

Good luck selling it.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've sold several vehicles instead of trading them in and craigslist got the best response by far. Ignore all the texts, emails or calls asking if you still have the "item" or those that parrot back the title of your ad. I've found if you phrase it a little oddly, it's easy to catch the potential scammers. Instead of "2007 Winnebago Journey", use Winnebago Journey, 2007 Model" That way you can seperate the robo responses from real ones.

I've met a couple at the police craigslist lot and others came to the house. You just have to have your spidey sense on full alert when you deal with strangers. I only accepted cash at my bank or a cashiers check issued from their bank, while I was standing there with them at the teller window.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #13

Great ideas! I also don’t accept text messages and tell them to call me! Anything that is “text only “ is probably a scam!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
Great ideas! I also don’t accept text messages and tell them to call me! Anything that is “text only “ is probably a scam!
Do you use your own home or cell phone? I was thinking about getting a burner phone just for selling my last boat and some miscellaneous things on CL. I don't much like the idea of publishing any of my own phone numbers.

KanzKran is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell