RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #1

Selling the house to RV travel, huge worries

Every time I think about not have a "home base" home to come back to after travelling for the winter months, I get panicky and the worse feeling of dread comes over me...

The travelling and all that goes along with it is perfectly fine, just knowing I have no where to return to is really hard to swallow.

How did you folks get around this, or is it that I'm just not ready mentally...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
This is one of those things that everyone handles differently.
There's no rule that says you HAVE to sell the house. (unless it's a financial necessity)
Many folks keep them and rent them out, or let family stay there for the cost of upkeep. That way they know they have a 'home' to go to if necessary.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #3

You are definitely NOT a candadate for full timing. At least not until you make the decision the house is unnecessary in the grand scheme of your life.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #4

We have done camping/RVng for most of our lives
The S&B was a place to live while working
Upon retirement we were ready for a major change
Selling the S&B was easy
Getting rid of all that STUFF was a bit concerning....AT FIRST
We had an Estate Sale and everything was SOLD in one day.

We KNEW when the FTng gig was over......however long that took.....we would NOT be going back to same state/same area to live.
We were DONE with it.

7 Absolutely wonderful yrs of FTng.
Lifes curve ball....so we are back in a S&B.
Which is good cause we embraced it.

Miss the FTng but got to do it so that is good also.

As a kid I moved a LOT.
Dad worked the oilfield in UT/CO/WY so we went where the work was
I went to 3 different Elementary Schools, 2 Jr. High Schools and 2 High Schools
Mom made moving an adventure...opportunity to see new places, meet new people, make new friends. It was NEVER gloom/doom
So I thank her for instilling in me the ability to look on the bright side

Spouse moved frequently also....Dad was Air Force and her Mom didn't have time to dwell on the whoa is me .....she had 5 kids to raise

Mindset......all about mindset and making each phase a positive thing
Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It pays to keep your options available. If you can manage it financially, keep the house at least for the first 6 -12 months. After that you can decide whether to keep it, sell it or go back to living in it.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You are definitely NOT a candadate for full timing. At least not until you make the decision the house is unnecessary in the grand scheme of your life.
Maybe your right, as I'm NOT ready to make decision the house is unnecessary in the grand scheme of my life.

It's my HOME base, where I can go when there's no where else to go.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

When we went fulltime, we saw the house as a safety net if fulltiming didn't work. So we rented it. We interviewed a few property management companies and picked on (10% of the rental was their monthly fee + 1 month rent for the lease/finder's fee). After 1 year, we decided to renew the lease with the tenants. 2 weeks after deciding to renew the lease, we got talking and wished we hadn't. Truth be told, we bought at the height of the housing boom and the rental minus the property management fees left us about 350 short. A change in escrowed property taxes ended up costing us $500/month to let someone live in it for the safety net.

We sold the house after the tenants moved out. But we did it all remotely. Our good friend was our realtor and she managed all of the contractors involved in getting the house ready for sale. When it came time to negotiate the home inspection report items, we decided it was easier to just offer money back vs. fix anything on their list. All told, I had my tush handed to me on costs + what I got for the house since it had been a rental for 2 years and we didn't go back to do the work ourselves to prep it for sale.

It took us another year to go back to our hometown and slim down our belongings. We thought we were just taking off for a year initially, so we didn't sell off a whole lot except for furniture that had hit its end of life and baby stuff that we were done with (my son was 3 when we launched). It took just shy of a month for us to get everything, go through it, sell the big stuff, and then huge yard saled the small stuff. Now we have just a 5x10 storage that is only 2/3 full and a good 1/2 of that is my wife's scrapbooking supplies that she just didn't have time to go through and sell off.

Longest story shortest, you don't have to sell the house. You can keep it as a safety net or you can just do part-timing. There's no right way and no wrong way to fulltime.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

IF and WHEN you decide to sell the house keep in mind that sooner or later you’re gonna want to come in off the road and back into a house, condo, etc. be sure you have an escape plan for that day..possibly the $ you gain from the house sale. make a plan.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #9

I just closed on my house yesterday and I rented a small apartment. I am picking up my new Class C RV on Friday. This way I have a home base to hang my hat when I'm done either for the week, the month, or forever. I don't have property taxes, upkeep, gardening, repairs, HOA fees or any of the other things that home ownership brought. The only utility bill I have is electric. There were a few things I couldn't part with so it is nice to have a place to keep them. However, when I get the itch, I can just lock my door and go for as long as I want.

Life threw me a curve ball as my wife of over 44 years and I wanted to full time after retirement. Unfortunately my wife contracted cancer, became quadriplegic and then died last November. We discussed my plans and I had her blessing to go on this journey without her. I was not ready to full time but I am definitely ready to mostly time. Getting rid of stuff was very freeing.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

House is getting photographed tomorrow and listed Friday. Will either sell it furnished or send it all off to a consignment shop. We’ve finalized on the fifth wheel that we want (2019 Riverstone 39FK), and are working with Riverstone to get some customization done. Bought a 2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Dually in December so truck is ready as well.

We are planning on doing 5-6 years full time, then will re-visit. Still working, but fortunately I work from home, so all I need is cell phone, Internet connection and airport.

Not going to miss home ownership one bit.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
House is getting photographed tomorrow and listed Friday. Will either sell it furnished or send it all off to a consignment shop. Weíve finalized on the fifth wheel that we want (2019 Riverstone 39FK), and are working with Riverstone to get some customization done. Bought a 2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Dually in December so truck is ready as well.

We are planning on doing 5-6 years full time, then will re-visit. Still working, but fortunately I work from home, so all I need is cell phone, Internet connection and airport.

Not going to miss home ownership one bit.
where will you go/live after the 5-6 years?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
I just closed on my house yesterday and I rented a small apartment. I am picking up my new Class C RV on Friday. This way I have a home base to hang my hat when I'm done either for the week, the month, or forever. I don't have property taxes, upkeep, gardening, repairs, HOA fees or any of the other things that home ownership brought. The only utility bill I have is electric. There were a few things I couldn't part with so it is nice to have a place to keep them. However, when I get the itch, I can just lock my door and go for as long as I want.

Life threw me a curve ball as my wife of over 44 years and I wanted to full time after retirement. Unfortunately my wife contracted cancer, became quadriplegic and then died last November. We discussed my plans and I had her blessing to go on this journey without her. I was not ready to full time but I am definitely ready to mostly time. Getting rid of stuff was very freeing.
very sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. good luck to you during your travels.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggdoll View Post
where will you go/live after the 5-6 years?
Most likely back to Ft. Myers, FL, but not sure. Somewhere in FL.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Kept the house and rented to my older daughter for peanuts for a year but the stress was too much came back moved the daughter out gave away and sold the stuff ,hired painters and carpet layers and sold 15 days after listing
Closed when we were hundreds of miles away .. no issues
Been houseless since. This year we have just bought a rv lot in Florida that we can also rent out but we plan and enjoy spending time there. It’s a small enough cost no big deal and The DW can get her Disney and Beach fix
We never want a large home like we had again. Condo or a apartment in a over 55 community maybe.. who knows. We will probably maintain two locations when we stop rving as we have discovered in our travels no place is ideal year round.
We hop on a plane several times a year and visit the kids if we aren’t in the areas they live in and if they aren’t busy ( they love to see us as we do them ) but they have their own lives. Besides With technology we keep up with them and the GKs.
After the house was gone we realized the house was a burden and worry. I was the apprehensive one not the DW. I can tell you it was difficult parting with stuff but the sense of freedom and peace is more fulfilling . We have been blessed with the ability pick from and live in one of many locations once the big house is off the table we arent tied to any one area we have to be... yet We have a plan B and C .. but then again there’s D or E and ..... Maybe we will discover a ForG

Closed Thread

Tags
sell, travel