Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #1

Selling Your Motorhome: What's The Best Way?

Hello fellow IRV2 Users,

I've been asked by my step-father to help him with the selling of his Class A Diesel Pusher motorhome.

However, other than creating an ad and throwing it up on Craigslist, as well as creating an extensive video walk-through and loading it up to Youtube, I don't know how else to better ensure that he can sell his motorhome ASAP..

So, I'd like to hear what's worked for those have had to sell an RV/Motorhome in the past, what route you took (craigslist, ebay, etc.,etc.,) and how long, on average, it took for the coach to sell!

Appreciate any and all feedback as my step-dad is looking to get some bills paid that's he's fallen behind on because of a recent injury!

Cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought mine from an add on Craigslist '

I think showing a video walk thru, is a great idea !!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

My experience from Craigs List is they are mostly low end units. Their are numerous "On Line" RV web sites to look through. Also there are RV Brokers that do the work for you. I have sold two high end RV's, one through a broker and one via a Consignment Broker. Just be cautious of the "scams" out there and check out whom ever you dicide to go with. I have never passed the Title on until the check cleared nor parted with the MH until all the paper work was finalized. Some dealers are also looking for inventory as well so contacting RV dealers sometimes works. Just be prepared to be low balled. It all depends on what your bottom line is. Most importantly is getting it ready to sell. Make it stand tall and be sure to include the Maintenance records and ALL improvements.
GoodLuck
Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

I took mine to a dealer and in 7 weeks it was sold! The big difference was they can take a trade!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

What is it , maybe someone here is looking
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I think you should take all the hassle out of selling it by simply giving to me!
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Start by listing it here in "Classifieds." I listed my last RV (38' 5th wheel) here, on one of the major RV sites, Craig's list, and, as a last resort, the home town paper. As luck would have it, a couple was in town visiting relatives, been looking for a big 5th wheel...and bought mine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

@96Wideglide = Thanks for the comment! I'll have to get w/my step-father to ensure that his camera can in fact take video and if so, I'll have him find time to take some still pics, as well as a 3-5 minute walk-through and then send me that file, so I can upload it to my account and then provide the video URL in the ads I place.

@djbmsu = It's our intention to bypass the use of brokers/consignment, simply because I feel confident that with my online marketing background, I'll be able to <hopefully> get enough inquiries in order for my step-dad to sell the motorhome for whatever price he's willing to take...and I'll let him, of course, be the final decision maker on who/when/how he finally decides to part w/his coach! ;-)

@336muffin = 7 weeks eah? Is that about the 'norm' when it comes to how long it takes to sell an RV these days? Also, what did you lose in the way of any commission once the unit sold?

@jimmyjnr = I know it's a 2008 Winnebago, but can't remember what model/floorplan it is...should be hearing back from him sometime in the next day or so, as he's heading back home from visiting his parents down in KY!

@4Knights = LMAO! I told my step-father the same thing, but he decided that "gifting" the coach to me wasn't going to happen until "slurpee's" were being sold in "hell!" :-) <his exact words! >

@Cat320 = Thanks for the input regarding RV Motorome classifieds! Hadn't even thought about that, so thanks for bringing that to my attention!

I think once my step-father has the video walk-through completed, along with a handful of still pics, I'll start making the rounds regarding advertising. Will definitely hit up Craigslist, Backpage, local papers, kijiji and a few others and will definitely get the Youtube video URL in the ads I place!

Again, I appreciate the feedback and if things go well...I'm hoping my step-dad keeps his promise of throwing me a little kick-back!
<Keeps Fingers Crossed!>

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #9

Rogue, I gave them a price that I was good with and they worked a deal with a customer and took a trade. No commission, they wrote me a check and I deposited it. I had already bought another American Coach from a friend that was selling due to health. Pretty simple.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #10

Oodle seems to work well , but like others have advised I would try Craigslist first as you may find a local buyer quickly
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Rogue, I gave them a price that I was good with and they worked a deal with a customer and took a trade. No commission, they wrote me a check and I deposited it. I had already bought another American Coach from a friend that was selling due to health. Pretty simple.
Ahh..Ok!

Thanks for the clarification!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Oodle seems to work well , but like others have advised I would try Craigslist first as you may find a local buyer quickly
Yeah..came across that site last night...I see that it's some how integrated w/Facebook...not sure how I can best utilize that resource, but will try and think "outside of the box" and see where that leads me! ;-)

Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #13

To preserve your relationship with your step father, you two should decide what compensation you will receive for all of your work in attempting to sell his unit.

If you do all of the ground work and he only steps in when it is time to receive the buyers check without compensating you, your relationship will go south real quick.

Best of luck...................Rob
Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a thought but you might want to try themotorhomebrokers.com. Go to there site and take a look around. Can't really hurt and if needed give them a call to see what kind of fees they might charge.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome