Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

Senior Pass: Is there a list where accepted?

Having just gotten my America the Beautiful Senior Pass I'm wondering if there is a comprehensive list of the individual locations that accept it. On the card it mentions: US Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service and Bureau of Reclamation. That's all fine and dandy but what I'm hoping to find is a list of all the individual places that accept the pass and hopefully what discounts are offered at the locations besides free entry. I haven't had much luck googling around for such a list. Does anybody know if one exists, where it can be found?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may need to do some digging around this website, but here's all the info. America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
Having just gotten my America the Beautiful Senior Pass I'm wondering if there is a comprehensive list of the individual locations that accept it. On the card it mentions: US Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service and Bureau of Reclamation. That's all fine and dandy but what I'm hoping to find is a list of all the individual places that accept the pass and hopefully what discounts are offered at the locations besides free entry. I haven't had much luck googling around for such a list. Does anybody know if one exists, where it can be found?

Thanks.
That would be quite a sizable list for someone to have made up. According to the following website there are over 2000 sites from five Federal agencies where the pass is accepted and that's not counting the Corps of Engineers and all of their sites.

https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
You may need to do some digging around this website, but here's all the info. America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass
Thanks. Unfortunately, that site just lists the home pages of some of the agencies that accept the pass (see italicized excerpt from the site, below). I don't think any of the agencies--at least not those whose pages I've visited--actually list all the places under their jurisdiction that accept the pass or concessionaires that offer discounts, etc. in a truly useable, user friendly fashion.

Ideally, I'd like to find a list of all places accepting the pass, all the discounts available within those places, and I'd like it to be sortable by geographical area as well as alphabetically.

4. Where can I use my pass?
The passes are valid at more than 2,000 Federal recreation sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee(s) are charged by the following agencies:

Bureau of Land Management (BLM) BLM - The Bureau of Land Management
Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) Bureau of Reclamation Homepage
Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Fish and Wildlife Service
USDA Forest Service (USDA FS) US Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people.
National Park Service (NPS) U.S. National Park Service - Experience Your America
Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
That would be quite a sizable list to make up. According to the following website there are over 2000 sites from five Federal agencies where the pass is accepted and that's not counting the Corps of Engineers and all of their sites.

https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html
Yes, that right... over 2000. That's why I'm looking for a list that's already been compiled rather than having to do it myself! LOL.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #6

You are asking way too much. If they say the pass is good at all Nat'l parks, why would they have to name each individual park ???, same for Nat'l monuments, C O E, BLM, etc etc.. If it is good at "all", what more do you want. AS for discounts, that is stated. Free access, and half price camping. There. Problem solved.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #7

That list would be entirely too long. I have been using one for about 7 years. I have found that it gives:

Free admission to all:
National Parks
National Monuments
National Lake Shores
National Sea Shores
National Recreation Areas
National Historic Sites
National Preserves
National Wildlife Preserves
All other sites administered by the National Park Service.

Half price camping at:
National Park C.G.s.
National Forest C.G.s.
see the list at Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds
COE C.G.s.
BLM C.G.s.
Any other (non-military) federal C.G.s.

Half price admission at some National Forest (non-campground) fee sites (recreation areas) and free admission at some others.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
You are asking way too much. If they say the pass is good at all Nat'l parks, why would they have to name each individual park ???, same for Nat'l monuments, C O E, BLM, etc etc.. If it is good at "all", what more do you want. AS for discounts, that is stated. Free access, and half price camping. There. Problem solved.
I donít think Iím asking too much. Certainly not because you declare it so, and if youíre trying to scold me for seeking information itís not your place to do so.

Why would they have to name each individual park? It would be incredibly useful, thatís why. They already name them, just not in a user friendly, easy to access fashion. Letís say you are going to Utah and you want to find all the places where the Senior Pass is accepted and what discounts are available at each. That would be useful in planning your trip. Wouldnít it? Sure, you could visit the web sites for the BLM, Forests and Parks, and spend hours or days searching for the information, but it would be so much faster and easier if there was a comprehensive data base that could be quickly and easily searched or sorted on criteria such as location. You could find in seconds what now takes hours to learn. It would be very useful in trip planning, having all the locations, phone numbers, specific discounts, facilities available, etc. in one handy location rather than spread out all over the web.

These are government agencies. All the info already exists, but it's spread around and takes a lot of time to access. Were it contained in one searchable/sortable database countless hours would be saved.

Next, while access is free to all places accepting the Senior Pass, I believe you are incorrect when you say camping is 50% off in all those places. On the page at <http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm> it is stated that SOME places ďMay provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.Ē Discounts available with the Senior Pass are not, beyond free admission, universal. Personally, Iíd like to know what discounts are available at which facilities and Iíd like to be able to find out quickly and easily rather than taking all day to do so. I think other people would also like to know.

Personally Iíd be willing to spend money for such a list or searchable database and I think a person that puts it together could make some money.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
That list would be entirely too long. I have been using one for about 7 years. I have found that it gives:

Free admission to all:
National Parks
National Monuments
National Lake Shores
National Sea Shores
National Historic Sites
National Preserves

Half price camping at:
National Park C.G.s.
National Forest C.G.s.
COE C.G.s.
BLM C.G.s.

Half price admission at some National Forest (non-campground) fee sites (recreation areas) and free admission at some others.

Joel
Thanks for the useful info and links.

Once you realize that the list already exists in fragmented pieces scattered across all the agency web sites and how cumbersome and time consuming it is to access the information you quickly understand the list that I envision by comparison would be much shorter and easier to access.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, let's keep the discussion civil please.

I agree that such a list or searchable database would be very useful. However, given the extreme budget constraints under which the National Park Service and other federal agencies are operating, I think it's unlikely resources would be available for such a task.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Free admission to all:
National Parks
National Monuments
National Lake Shores
National Sea Shores
National Historic Sites
National Preserves

Half price camping at:
National Park C.G.s.
National Forest C.G.s.
COE C.G.s.
BLM C.G.s.

Joel
The pass is not accepted at all National Historic Sites for free admission. We were at one site (can't remember where) that was being operated in cooperation with a state park. There was a $1 (I think) discount off the regular $5 or $7 admission price with the pass, but no free admission.

Likewise, the pass is not accepted at all National Park campgrounds for half price camping. If the campground is operated by a concessionaire like Trailer Village at Grand Canyon, there is no discount.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #12

America the Beautiful senior pass can be used at all state parks in Louisiana. 50% discount applies for campgrounds. Note, when you make reservations on line there is no place on their form to apply for the discount. When you check in at the gate to the park they will issue a 50% refund to the credit card you use for the reservation.

There are probably other states that offer the same but I haven't been to any of them yet.

As stated you don't always get a discount/free admission to federal properties. Best to do a little homework on where you plan to travel and find out ahead of time. Some properties are run by private concessionaires. I used it for entry in Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Arches National Park, Black Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon South Rim and North Rim which probably amounted to over $150 in fees. I was not camping at any of these just needed admission. It has been very useful at Corps of Engineer campgrounds and so far I was not charged admission and got 50% discount on campgrounds.

I think it is a very nice benefit for being 62 and older.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #13

i have seen it befor and have it saved some where there are 2 lists one fro where you can pick up / file fro the pass as not every park and give it to you

and on that same website had the list of a high% of what your asking for

i have so many bookmarks that its not funny i save all most all info that i find here
Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This has nothing to do with Federal and National Parks, but good information about each of the STATES parks... State Park Entrance Passes Many offer senior, military, or handicapped discounts.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote