RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

sequense to keep my stationary black water tank.Clean

Hello:
I have my 29' 5th W park in an RV park.I'd like to keep mu black water tank clean.Is there an RV site where I can learn to clean it and deodorized?I live alone and I was tols that I can emptied it
every two week or more.Many thanks for your interest.araucano.

araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

For 3 months during the summer I park in a RV park hooked up to the sewer and electricity. The coach doesn't move during that time. I leave the Gray water tank open and the Black water tank closed. I usually dump the black water when it nears the 3/4 mark. Every 3rd or 4th time I dump the black water tank, I hook up a separate hose and fill the tank with fresh water and dump it. I have 2 macerator toilets so the solids are turned to liquid and I rarely if ever have a build up in the tank. If your toilet isn't a macerator then I'd probably flush the tank every time or every other time you dump the black tank. Also, I'd suggest you use a chemical in your tank every time you dump although many will disagree with this procedure. I use a product called Piranha as it digests most of the bacteria that will form in the tank and, it leaves a Cinnamon smell that works especially well with a gravity dump toilet. If your toilet doesn't have a macerator feature I'd suggest that after you dump the tank and close the valve, you fill the toilet at least 4 times and dump the fresh water into the tank each time you dump the toilet and add chemicals. Finally, when you know you have to dump the tank, I'd suggest that a day or two before dumping, you close the Grey water tanks valve. After dumping the Black tank, dump the Grey water and that will flush out the sewer hose.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go to YouTube.com and search RV Education. You will see many different videos on this topic. Ron Polk of RV101 has a good video on black water tanks. Also, you can go to RVGeeks.com and they have good videos on a wide range of RV topics. Good luck!
Dreamer1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

Leave the black tank valve closed until full or almost full. Fill toilet bowl with water (leave room though) as water is a black tank friend. Being full helps flush solids. If you have a tank sprayer, use it after dumping the tank to help rinse. Use a clear connector section at the valve so you can see what is going on. Use gray water to help flush the hose. Some say to keep gray valves closed as well so you don't have food scrap build up. Those and other solids are swept out when you pull the valve on full gray tanks.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170625_101006611.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	193363
Old 02-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Leave the black tank valve closed until full or almost full. Fill toilet bowl with water (leave room though) as water is a black tank friend. Being full helps flush solids. If you have a tank sprayer, use it after dumping the tank to help rinse. Use a clear connector section at the valve so you can see what is going on. Use gray water to help flush the hose. Some say to keep gray valves closed as well so you don't have food scrap build up. Those and other solids are swept out when you pull the valve on full gray tanks.
X2 !!

Think of it this way

Fast flowing river will move boulders
Slow moving creek can't even budge a pebble

FULL TANK....DUMP......WHOOSH!!
Fast flowing river

Very little in tank...dump....trickle/trickle....leaving stuff behind

Clear adapter between dump line and sewer hose allows you to see effects of dumping/rinsing
Straight and Elbow styles

Water is your FRIEND...especially when you are PARKED and have water on site
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #7

Just to add to everything I agree with here... if you use a 45 instead of a 90, everything will flow better.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'll just add my two cents worth.

Unless you will be using the park toilet most of the time you won't get two weeks without emptying the black tank! We only get about 4-5 days max, but we don't use the park toilets at all.

I highly recommend using Happy Camper tank treatment! It is organic, no perfume odors, and thoroughly breaks down all the "stuff". If you buy it in the 130 treatment size it will cost about 61 cents per treatment. We have used it since 2000 and never have any odors!

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...tank+treatment

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #9

Good info and didn’t know about Piranha. RV sewer clean out guy that comes into our park said Pinesol good. One cup to 40 gals of black tank volume. It is a degreaser and helps clean tank. Use the lemon scent. Yes water is good when flushing.
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Many on this site use the GEO method.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fill the black tank 25% with water after you dump and use lots of water with each flush and you will not need any chemicals.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'll just add my two cents worth.

Unless you will be using the park toilet most of the time you won't get two weeks without emptying the black tank! We only get about 4-5 days max, but we don't use the park toilets at all.

I highly recommend using Happy Camper tank treatment! It is organic, no perfume odors, and thoroughly breaks down all the "stuff". If you buy it in the 130 treatment size it will cost about 61 cents per treatment. We have used it since 2000 and never have any odors!

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...tank+treatment
Hmmmmmmm. We are full timers and NEVER use the park/campground facilities and get 10 days on our black tank. I would think a nice class A like yours would have a black tank at least as large as our 50 gallon.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I personally don't think chemicals of any kind are necessary, but the enzyme types can maybe help. Our strategy, successful for over 20 years, is to be generous with the water when flushing and try to get that big WHOOSH! when emptying. About once a year I would treat the tank with a dose of Roebic K57 or Rid-X in a full tank and try to let it sit for 3-5 days. Doesn't have to be unused in that time, though. The enzymes do a good job of eating away any accumulated slime on the walls and valves.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water