Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #15

The place I am parked doesn't require it. I am simply tired of it laying on the ground and having to play with it to get everything out when I empty the tanks. I just wanted to know which ones were good or bad so I pick the right one.
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
I keep my tanks closed until full. But have no support under my hose for when I do empty my tanks. The camper stays parked.

What do you mean if I am using my tanks right I won't need this?
NY Camper 86
I believe the fact that your camper stays parked would make the rain gutter type support a very good option for you. I see many travel trailer RVers indicate they use this type of stinky slinky support. They also make a storage tube out of 5"x5" plastic fence post and caps (see mods posts) which they mount under their trailer for when they do move. Does not take up any existing storage and does not rust out the metal bumper where some store the slinky.
Also, it sounds to my like you are using your tanks correctly.
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I disagree with the guy who says it isn't necessary to have one. I like to have as little contact as possible with the hose even though I use gloves. Without one I would have to lift it up and walk down the hose to get the last of the stuff into the drain connection. With a flexible type slinky that is graduated in size with deep grooves to keep the hose in place when the big rush occurs with opening the valve, you set it up and it drains right. With the larger "feet" on the bottom, it is stable even though it may have to go around something or over something. The original one from Amazon he posted is a good one in my book. However, if the OP is staying in one place all the time, the recommendation for the gutter type would work fine. In fact, a friend bought a 4" size PVC pipe from Lowe's and cut it in half, rigged a way to hold it up beneath the drop from his travel trailer and it works just fine. Regardless of what OP chooses, he is right in getting something. Who wants to deal with lifting the hose up multiple times to get it to drain when the tanks are almost full? Not me!!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #18

You can order a 20' Camco Sidewinder (#43051) sewer support from walmart.com for 33.98. No shipping when it is picked up at their store. If the total order is over $50 they ship to your door. Same price at Amazon.com but has to be over $35 for free shipping. Campingworld.com is 32.99 on sale, regular price is 37.99. All the prices are within $1 except for possible shipping costs.

The supports are nice to have when the drain inlet is slightly above the surface and the elbow is up about an inch or two.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #19

pump it out

I would suggest a Macerator Pump. You can find them on ebay for under $80. Attach your hose to the front and a real good 12 volt line and a garden hose to the other end. Never had a leak from the hose in 35 years and use it everywhere. No not worry about slope or even standing on it. I can pump 150 feet if I have to.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
Other than making sure there is plenty of water in the black tank before dumping, there is no "proper" way to use waste storage tanks. The "proper" way is to make sure you don't spill any on the ground and use whatever system works best for you.

We use one of the supports as mentioned before, if you're short on space, and who isn't, they are the way to go. If you have storage to burn, the rain gutter idea is probable the best.
While not the best solution to the problem, it's certainly better then laying the hose out on the ground and having to 'walk' the stuff out of the hose to empty it.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 AM   #21

Thank you all for your help! Agreed I do not enjoy "playing" with the hose just to get everything out!!
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled 5ers for 10 years before getting the MH. I used the "Slunky" sewer hose support all that time and loved it. After we got the MH, I always dump the air to get the front entry step as low to the ground as possible so I don't have to use a stepstool. The problem with that is that it puts the sewer outlet too close to the ground to use the "Slunky"

I went to the plastic rain gutter method. I went to Lowes and bought two 10' sections of gutter, cut them is short pieces (about 5'), and slide them together for storage. I extend them to whatever length I need under the hose, then use short bungees to hold them in place. Works great!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #23

Sewage hose supports are the most ridiculous thing I have seen people use while RVing. They are completely pointless, useless. I can't believe people with brains spend good money on these things, then actually set them up and use them, thinking they are serving some sort of purpose.

I would love to see some posts stating why they are needed and why using them is better than just laying the hose on the ground.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Sewage hose supports are the most ridiculous thing I have seen people use while RVing. They are completely pointless, useless. I can't believe people with brains spend good money on these things, then actually set them up and use them, thinking they are serving some sort of purpose.

I would love to see some posts stating why they are needed and why using them is better than just laying the hose on the ground.

Bruce

Everyone throw away your holders, it has been determined they are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Everyone throw away your holders, it has been determined they are ridiculous.
Well, if they're not ridiculous, tell me why. Tell me the advantages of using them. I'm very interested to know.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's already been stated in this thread why people like and use them. Nothing against you, but stating they are ridiculous, people are brain dead for buying them, etc, in my opinion, adds nothing to the discussion.

After going through a rhino hose fairly quickly i asked people who use them why they use them. One of the answers I got was it keeps the hose from being on gravel and other things that wear and poke on the hose. Got me to thinking about why my hose may have developed leaks, so I bought one. $20.00 was all I was risking.

Fast forward five years and my hose still looks like new. Is the holder the reason? Maybe, maybe not. It keeps it out of the mud, gravel, etc and I like it. Sorry that you don't like them and that's fine. I just have this weird thing about judging other people and how they spend their money or decide to set up camp.

I see things every time I am in a CG I don't understand. Sometimes I ask about what something is used for and learn a neat little trick or two. Sometimes I still don't get it but act like I do, and tell the person thanks for explaining it to me. I like to think we are all in this together, but hey, maybe I am just living in a dream world.

Happy Camping!

Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #27

Sewer Solution replaces Stinky Slinky

Get rid of the Stinky Slinky and hose supports. Get a Sewer Solution they work great.

Amazon.com: Valterra SS01 Boxed SewerSolution System: Automotive
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
It's already been stated in this thread why people like and use them. Nothing against you, but stating they are ridiculous, people are brain dead for buying them, etc, in my opinion, adds nothing to the discussion.

After going through a rhino hose fairly quickly i asked people who use them why they use them. One of the answers I got was it keeps the hose from being on gravel and other things that wear and poke on the hose. Got me to thinking about why my hose may have developed leaks, so I bought one. $20.00 was all I was risking.

Fast forward five years and my hose still looks like new. Is the holder the reason? Maybe, maybe not. It keeps it out of the mud, gravel, etc and I like it. Sorry that you don't like them and that's fine. I just have this weird thing about judging other people and how they spend their money or decide to set up camp.

I see things every time I am in a CG I don't understand. Sometimes I ask about what something is used for and learn a neat little trick or two. Sometimes I still don't get it but act like I do, and tell the person thanks for explaining it to me. I like to think we are all in this together, but hey, maybe I am just living in a dream world.

Happy Camping!

Well put Brian. If someone were truly interested in why to use something, they would ask and save the insults right?
Anyway, I recently bought one of these 15-20 ft slinky type support systems and find I'm often too lazy to get it installed!
The reason I bought it was that a couple times I was camped where I was downhill from the sewer opening. I used the slinky to give me some lift "down" to the sewer opening.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote