Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #29

Without a hose support system, and your hose lies on the gravel or cement it tends to wear pin holes when the hose contracts and expands due to the water being expelled. I have replaced my share of hoses because of the cement/gravel contact and the pin holes it caused. With the use of a slinky I am able to position the hose for drainage without having to use locks of wood/ stones to create a flow to the drain.
It also keeps me from having to handle a really muddy hose when it has rained and the hose is mucked up the day I break camp.....it's bad enough you have to clean the water hose and the power cord before you put it away.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
If your using your tanks properly you don't need this item.....
I don't get this, what does the hose support have to do with properly using your tanks?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Sewage hose supports are the most ridiculous thing I have seen people use while RVing. They are completely pointless, useless. I can't believe people with brains spend good money on these things, then actually set them up and use them, thinking they are serving some sort of purpose.

I would love to see some posts stating why they are needed and why using them is better than just laying the hose on the ground.

Bruce

Bruce, aside from less wear & tear on the hose as others have stated, the other reason is to provide a downward slope toward the sewer connection so you get a better flow, particularly pg the more "solid" kind, resulting in a cleaner hose at the end of the day! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Sewage hose supports are the most ridiculous thing I have seen people use while RVing. They are completely pointless, useless. I can't believe people with brains spend good money on these things, then actually set them up and use them, thinking they are serving some sort of purpose.

I would love to see some posts stating why they are needed and why using them is better than just laying the hose on the ground.

Bruce

PRIME example, Sewer line sticking up out of the ground about 4"...
Nomad connects his hose to the sewer line. Now he has a sewer line filled with raw sewage between RV and sewer connection.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
PRIME example, Sewer line sticking up out of the ground about 4"...
Nomad connects his hose to the sewer line. Now he has a sewer line filled with raw sewage between RV and sewer connection.
As I said earlier, the "Sewer Solution" is a great option, no Stinky Slinky to worry about. Once connected, open dump valve, turn water on and it flushes all the waste from the tank down the drain even if the drain might be sticking up 4 or five inches. No problem, turn the water discharge in the other direction to wash out the line to the coach then another shot toward the drain to empty the line. Close your dump valve and rinse the sewer solution hose out by turning the water direction both ways a few times and you are done. No lifting the old slinky to force the raw sewer up above the drain hole and risk something coming disconnected and having a real mess.

The Sewer Solution sets up in minutes and stores in a small bag clean when you travel. It all works on water pressure and no pump. It has been around for a number of years.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #34

Don, Thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Get rid of the Stinky Slinky and hose supports. Get a Sewer Solution they work great.

Amazon.com: Valterra SS01 Boxed SewerSolution System: Automotive

I don't know... Kinda looks like something out of a "as seen on TV" ad.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #36

The sewer solution has been around many years and it is well made durable product. Simple to connect and operate and it works.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #37

Sewer Hose Support

Sewer solution (et al) does use (waste) a lot of water!
Not good in desert and drought areas. A bit slow at a crowded dump station.

I have at least 15 years on a 15-ft cheap brown hose. Not leaking so it keeps serving. It is on a cheap support if the park requires it, otherwise not. Dumping grey water last keeps it clean.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #38

Quote:

Bruce
one word WEEDEATER
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #39

The slunky type was one of the first things I bought at camping world. They work great and fold up easy for storage when you are preparing to leave. Best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
Have you considered any of the rain gutter type supports? They provide a continuous support and even slope. I have seen them at CW. Also, many make their own. Will require a 7' long storage compartment to hold three sections or an under chassis mount. See mod posts.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app

I use a Slunky 15 foot, but my NEXT one will likely be a rain gutter type.. I like them for many reasons,, I will use either 8 or 5 foot (1/2 the length they sell 'em in ) and a stack of blocks for support.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #41

Many options are available, however i found the accordian type to be frustrating to setup & use. Hose snakes out while dumping. My reco. & what I use I purchased a 10' 3" PVC pipe from Lowe's, using a jig saw cut it into a 4' & 6' section then cut each section in half lengthwise giving you 2 4' & 2 6' u-shaped sections each. Simply tye wrap the hose into the u-section & you'll have no problems w/the stinky slinky. You have enough support to handle approx. 20' of septic hose. You could also purchase 4" eave trough & do something similar. Good luck
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #42

Howdy!

We use Sewer Solution no support required. Een using the same one over ten years now and still working well. Use a 3" stinky slinky at a dump station.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote