Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #1

Sewer hose supports???

Setting up my new 5th wheel need feedback on sewer hose supports,sewer hose accessories???
gordyttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just my opinion but I have used them only once since 2001. This was when we did a 3 month hosting stay at a state park that we had to add two sewer hoses together to reach. Lot of trouble to store. Would not even consider them for less than a month and not even then if the angle was right to the connection. Have there been times when we needed them? Maybe, but we made it fine w/o them. I am sure others have strong support for needing them

Rhino is well worth the higher cost than the cheap stuff that might last one season. It stores very well and can be joined to a second section w/o a lot of extra pieces
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyttt View Post
Setting up my new 5th wheel need feedback on sewer hose supports,sewer hose accessories???
Supports required in certain areas including the state of Arizona..
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
We use these...easy to setup and store.

Amazon.com: Camco 43041 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support: Automotive

Not sure if it is your first but if so, make sure to get a clear elbow so you can see when the black tank is clean when dumping.
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have never used a hose support, and never had a problem............it just lays on the ground. When the tanks drain, there is so much head pressure, that nothing is going to get stuck in the slinky..........
I see a lot of folks that use them...........just another "Gadget" for RV'ers to buy. I also do not use any type of treatments in my tanks, just lots of water...........I use to, and after learning/talking to others, I quit using treatments, some say the treatments are hard on the dump valve seals............I had to replace my dump valve once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07498.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	122368  
Old 03-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #6
IC2

When we travel, I don't bother with a support if we will only be staying a night or only a few. Between trips our 5er is parked in a seasonal site where the support is required. Ours is a Camco which works just fine. As far as taking space, 2 pounds fit in a space ~ 6"w x12 l" x8" h +/- a bit. One of the folks at the CG uses a couple pieces of PVC along with some fittings to run the slinky through, but their 5er never moves from one year to the next.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

Carried the expanding "slinky" model for years--never used it until AZ this year. Also seen everything from PVC pipe to eve trough sections. Which ever one you select takes time to set up and will take up space while traveling. Depending on lenght of stay and proximity of sewer dump pipe to RV, several kinds of support/ramp might be needed. Short duration stays--hold tanks for a day or two then dump. Longer duration, I like to dump every 5-7 days, provides more flushing and rinsing power if tanks have some volume. Recently thought about a leak in the water system overflowing the grey tank if I continued to keep tank valves closed during long-term stays. Suppose it could happen but I have rarely heard/read about such a problem occuring--have to manage risk and plan accordingly.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

If you plan on traveling about the country. Especially out west, then you need to get one. I have stayed in a couple campgrounds where sewer supports are required.
I normally do not use one but carry one so it is available if needed.
Mine is a the plastic expandable type, not that expensive, and is no problem to store.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Supports required in certain areas including the state of Arizona..
H. Miller
In Arizona a sewer hose support is required when the hose is connected in a sewer connection....but NOT when dumping the tanks at a dump station.
IMO that makes no sense.
See: RV NOW: Arizona RV Sewer Law All Hosed Up
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We have stayed in a number of parks where some form of hose support is mandatory. We currently have one of the slinky units, which works fine most of the time. I have also seen a few units with a sectioned trough that their hose sits in. It breaks down into two or three shorter sections, about 4 ft in length, and they connect to whatever length is required. I don't know who makes these support units but I'll be looking for one when our slinky needs replacing.

BTW... We only use our slinky when its required or when it is needed to prevent major sag and the resulting pooled content.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
More and more campgrounds are requiring supports for sewer hoses. Some are making it mandatory the the connection at the sewer pipe be airtight.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #12

The only thing I will add, is that whatever you use, if you are leaving the grey tank valve open, make sure that you have a "sag" or "trap" in the hose to prevent the sewer line venting back into the motor home during use. The traps in the sinks/showers SHOULD prevent it, but sometimes don't
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
We have stayed in a number of parks where some form of hose support is mandatory. We currently have one of the slinky units, which works fine most of the time. I have also seen a few units with a sectioned trough that their hose sits in. It breaks down into two or three shorter sections, about 4 ft in length, and they connect to whatever length is required. I don't know who makes these support units but I'll be looking for one when our slinky needs replacing.
BTW... We only use our slinky when its required or when it is needed to prevent major sag and the resulting pooled content.
Ron_H
Any time that the sewer output connection on your coach is higher than the campsite connection, (or dump station connection), the tank content will it will drain, (including if/when there is a sag in the hose).
However if there is a sag in the hose the RV end of the hose will have to be disconnected and lifted higher than the drain connection to emty the pooled content from the hose BEFORE disconnecting the other end.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
So tell me guys what would generally be a good length to carry?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum