Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #57

I want to have what i Need in the basement, but really don't care to store a lot of Might Need things that take up space. We don't full-time and don't stay anywhere longer than 2 weeks, and keep our valves closed when not dumping the tanks.

Not having a slinky, if asked to get the hose off the ground, I'll place it into the plastic tub in the basement. I'm just not a fan of having to follow just one more rule.......and I use a section of logging chain to keep things tight on the drain.

I can't recall any places we've been where the sewer drain was surrounded by grass, it is mostly concrete or rocks or....nature.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #58

I live in AZ stayed at many, none are required that I know of.
TonyinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #59

Sewer hose support

My understanding is that Arizona and C California both require sewer hose supports as well as some RV parks.
Olds5282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #60

I don't stay connected with valves open. I only bust out the slinky when I'm full then put it away. Don't want the pyramid affect in my black tank. Also, the one time I did leave my slinky attached, valves closed, a critter turned my slinky into Swiss cheese. Slinky gets put away each time.
Lgbnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #61

I have noticed that more and more parks require that the sewer lines be elevated. The donuts are required when you just have a non-threaded connection (hole in the ground so-to-speak).

All Thousand Trails parks have required off the ground and elevated for the last few years, and nearly all the other parks we have stayed in do as well, Florida, Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington anyway.

We have a 20' slinky that I broke into three egual parts to give me shorter runs at different heights as needed for the particular site. I also carry some lengths of plastic gutter to span distances as well, especially those that require a bit of uphill drainage. Then I can just pick up the gutter to drain a big section of hose at once.

I am surprised at the number of folks that say they have never seen the requirement. I have only been travelling full time around the country for 9 years, so perhaps I just haven't stayed in enough parks yet?
Old 08-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Because...??? It offends someone's sensitive nose?
Not sure but, I believe the rubber donut is also required to “seal” the sewer opening from a potential backup. Could be wrong.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
Thanks all for your prompt replies. Guess I'll go drop $30 at Wally World for a 20 footer.
Been full timing for a year, almost exclusively rv parks, a little boondocking. Never required. But very very handy. Found that at many full hookups the sewer connection is somewhat uphill. The slinky cures it everytime. Definitely worth the money.

Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #64

Met. Traveler who used aluminum gutter cut to length. Very light weight and the color u want. This will Handel your stinky slinky.
Dana Anderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #65

Send a message via Skype™ to rkimall
Curious... Other than the $79+ for that really cool one Frantz recommended, I'd be interested in "hearing" what slinkies other RV'ers like.
rkimall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Sewer support

Yes, Az requires them, but it just makes sense to use them when connection point is raised, when the slope to the connection isn't absolutely perfect, or it's uphill to the connection. Besides that, it's just a pain to pick up the hose to ensure that it's drained before disconnecting. The supports help even when it still isn't perfect.
ChollyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #67

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp5 View Post
I will soon be taking a cross country trip and I have read that some RV parks require the sewer hose supports. In your travels have you come across this requirement? Does anyone use these if not required and if so what are the positives. Thanks much in advance for any replies.
I have NEVER heard of this nor have I visited such a campground.

As to advantages, sometimes the space you are in has a slope or a distance to travel from your connection to the drain connection (State parks are particularly guilty) the hose support raises your sewer hose and slopes it downward toward your drain so that it actually drains and does not simply fill up and stand in the hose until the next gush of waste (black or grey) comes out of the toilet, shower, sinks etc.
rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Using one allows you to create a straight shot to the sewer inlet. Oftentimes the sewer inlet is above ground level. If you don't use one, your sewer hose may have to go uphill to get to the sewer. This will often result in a clogged and backed up hose. They are much more benefit than detriment!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #69

FWIW my excuse is having never seen nor.heard of a ring until this post. Go figure. But it's a smart tool and I'll get one.

I use a slinky frequently but don't recall it being required anywhere. If required in AZ it's not strictly enforced. We've stayed in 15 or 20 AZ parks and not seen it mentioned.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
You leave your tank gates open?
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote